English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 May 2018, 00:58   #61
Magic

@Mr.Flibble
This is great! Thank you for doing this and for making it available
Old 01 May 2018, 11:48   #62
Mr.Flibble

No worries - I've just about finished the updated version where the pegs are separated from the cover, so the printing direction can be optimised for strength. I'll upload it once I've had a moment to check the test print.
Old 15 July 2018, 06:56   #63
Acill
Tech Guru

This is it! This first views of the now completed A4000 Rev B layout! I'm going over it and will soon ask for feedback on this. Please remember this is in Mentor Graphics PADS and requires the viewer from them if you want to see it yourself. It's free from them. This is amazing work! The pcb database file is located in the layout folder at the Github here: https://github.com/Acill/A4000RevB

I've put a lot of time into this and want to thank everyone that donated to make it possible. Very soon now the data to allow new boards to be manufactured will be posted on the Github as well. For those that have access to the full version of Mentor Graphics PADS you could take the info in the Github currently and export it to Gerbers, but I ask that you wait for the final versions to be announced after its verified completely. These are the completed project files though now unless errors are discovered.

Old 15 July 2018, 08:01   #64
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

That is some awesome work right there Acill. Well done and congratulations! Excellent job!
Old 16 July 2018, 02:49   #65
Acill
Tech Guru

One more quick update on the 4000 Rev B project. The FINAL review is done and checks out. I have uploaded the new file in the layout folder at git hub. Also uploaded is a zip with Additional outputs included. These have been translated from the original PADS database so use them at your own peril.
The Altium file looks good. Supposedly Eagle will import an Accel ASCII database but my first try was not successful. The file does not look correct. Worst case, those that know what to do can import the Gerber and recreate the database from it. Eagle just does not have a good importer at this time.

I will not be supporting design changes in anything other than the PADS database. The Altium and Eagle outputs in the additional outputs zip is just something I have had done as a thank you. I do believe the free version of Altium called Circuit Works? will import the Altium data. This would be the best way to go for those looking to get a good alternative to PADS.
Old 20 July 2018, 00:32   #66
Narf the Mouse

I've got a big, happy grin thanks to finding this.
Old 23 July 2018, 09:39   #67
Acill
Tech Guru

A sneak look at the first prototypes being shipped out to me July 24th!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4000_Front.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	58976   Click image for larger version

Name:	4000_Back.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	58977  
Old 23 July 2018, 10:00   #68
kolla
Banned

So cool, excited to see it running in a few weeks
Old 24 July 2018, 13:57   #69
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Not to mention, I doubt Commodore auto-routed the board back in 1991, the original was probably hand routed.
They used auto routing at least to setup the ground work for the main busses and big interconnections, there is really no point in tracing those paths manually when even the dumbest auto-routing will save you hours with these parallel simple paths. Moreover, editing tools back then were much more primitive than what we have now.

PCB engineers usually use a mixture of auto and manual routing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtorro View Post
And his board is manually routed which is basically a different layout than the original, and it's unknown if it was done considering EMI elimination, noise, crosstalk, correct ground plane design, signal propagation etc.. There is much more to PCB layout than just connecting pads and vias, it's a whole science in itself.
Dave Haynie has mentioned in several interviews that they used to have EMI issues when designing A3000 or A4000 boards and that noise is always something to take into account when designing PCBs so yup, C= did run into these issues and fixed them even back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acill View Post
[...] you could take the info in the Github currently and export it to Gerbers, but I ask that you wait for the final versions to be announced after its verified completely. These are the completed project files though now unless errors are discovered.
Great effort!
And do not worry, there will be errors, there always are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
So cool, excited to see it running in a few weeks
Most likely it is actually going to bug and fail in a few weeks, this is what tests runs are for.

The issue with hardware is you are never sure it works until you build it and verify. For complex projects, most of the time one will find plenty of errors which were overlooked in previous stages, that is perfectly normal.
Old 27 July 2018, 03:47   #70
Acill
Tech Guru

Very true, but fingers crossed that all the simulation runs and testing the schematics to the actual board have paid off. The one thing we had an advantage of here was this board is a clone of one that works currently. We can test all the traces and signals to a real board and verify it at least digital with a good chance a real new produced board will pass as well. Thats going to start when I get home on the 5th of August. I have two others building boards as well in this run.
Old 08 August 2018, 15:05   #71
Acill
Tech Guru

Some some good looking boards here!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180804_091357.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	59155   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180804_091255.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	59156   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180804_091312.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	59157  
Old 08 August 2018, 23:38   #72
jotd
This cat is no more

2018 is an awesome year for the amiga. It seems that every year brings some new stuff that wasn't possible before. Far fetched and you did it!
Old 09 August 2018, 03:41   #73
Magic

Awesome! What else can I say
Old 09 August 2018, 09:27   #74
Hiddenevil

Currently restoring a 4000D, this looks great!

I hope all your efforts result in a working board!
Old 15 August 2018, 03:15   #75
Acill
Tech Guru

Boards are working and I have listed a small batch for sale on ebay. If interested they are here. I will have more in the coming weeks and will keep a stock of red ones on had. The ones listed currently are black with gold plating.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-4000-...B/173472223520
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180814_144927.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	59282  
Old 15 August 2018, 04:03   #76
grelbfarlk

Good job Acill. It's very nice that there is a source for replacement PCBs at a very affordable price.
Old 30 October 2019, 04:19   #77
Acill
Tech Guru

Another beutiful A4000 completed. This one is done for myself and will be my personal machine.

Old 30 October 2019, 06:57   #78
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

this is a bit OT: I know that has been said that funding a new batch of the original chipsets production is very expensive, however i wonder how much and i wonder if the demand is enough - also with all those replica projects around i bet a non small amount of people would love to have a full machine; has an estimate ever been stated?
Old 30 October 2019, 13:40   #79
Acill
Tech Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
this is a bit OT: I know that has been said that funding a new batch of the original chipsets production is very expensive, however i wonder how much and i wonder if the demand is enough - also with all those replica projects around i bet a non small amount of people would love to have a full machine; has an estimate ever been stated?
Newly made versions of the original design wont happen. They are no longer built this way in modern chip factories. The only way that would happen is if someone bought old equipment, got it working again and re spun all the chips. We are talking millions of dollars just to start.

What is happening I have seen is the code is being done for alternates in CPLD chips. It requires adapters or new boards to fit them, but they are being made. I think some info on Amibay has mentioned it.
Old 30 October 2019, 14:45   #80
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acill View Post
Another beutiful A4000 completed. This one is done for myself and will be my personal machine.
Fantastic. I love seeing these 'fresh' boards with all populated components. Just how it would have been decades ago when the original boards left the factory!

Great work!