English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 April 2016, 18:22   #1
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Someone should set up a "Large Drive Installation Guide" really

Well... since there ISN'T one (and I've used search three times using various terms), I will have to ask if I've missed anything:

I will be performing a clean install on a HD I have lying around, somewhere between 20 and 120 GB. This will be connected to the internal 2.5" IDE port of the A1200

I gather I should make a "boot partition" first, something like 250MB to house things like SCSIPatch (do I need that with PFS3AIO? For the size of me drive?) and have the rest of the drive as one big unit?

Is that feasible?

Do I NEED the scsipatch? (Toni Wilen's on Aminet, IIRC) Or should it be enough with just PFS3AIO/PFS3ds?
Old 10 April 2016, 18:52   #2
idrougge

http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/4gb_faq.html
Old 10 April 2016, 21:56   #3
Jope
-

There's so many faqs on the net about this that it's not even funny. We also have a large hard drive sticky here on prb.hardware.

1) use pfs3aio with the dostype PDS\3 0x50445303
2) your boot partition may be up to 7.8GiB in size when using PFS3aio, it can be smaller too.
3) you need to load a patched scsi.device in your startup-sequence to enable the rest of the partitions. The one by Toni et al is what I'd use.
Old 11 April 2016, 16:49   #4
Amiga1992

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61666 + http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=45491 should do the trick.
Old 14 April 2016, 13:31   #5
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Thanks mate, though not excactly what I was looking for... I'm well aware of the numbers and calculations, but I wanted a step-by-step guide to actually installing the HD in an actual A1200 and make it work.

Kinda like...

Step 1: First make sure you have the software and patches needed. PFS3AIO, scsi.device patch, spatch etc. lha, lzx unarchivers
Step 2: Get it to your Amiga from your PC or Mac. If you're lucky enough to have a CD-ROM working on the Amiga side, simply burn a CD with all the neccessary software and patches on the PC/Mac, then go to your Amiga.
Step 3: Prepare the HD on the Amiga. In my case, I put the WB3.1 Install diskette in DF0: and power-on the Amiga, then create a small-ish (100 - 250MB) partition for Workbench
Step 4: Install the CD-ROM drivers. I have a SurfSquirrel interface with a SCSI-DVD-drive connected.
Step 5: Insert the CD-ROM you created in Step 2, then unpack the PFS3AIO, scsi-device, and other tools you might need. FOLLOW THE README FILES FOR EACH PACKAGE TO INSTALL THEM CORRECTLY!

HINT: copying lha and/or lzx to C: is a good idea anyways, many other utilities (like DOPUS) expect to find the (un)archivers here.

Step 6: From here on, I'm in uncharted territory. It is from this step onward I would have liked a step-by-step guide

Last edited by Doc Mindie; 14 April 2016 at 13:32. Reason: confused my numbers :lol
Old 14 April 2016, 15:05   #6
Jope
-

Then it would be a step-by-step guide for your particular system and the world would have one more step by step guide that won't fit the next asker. What happened to the joy of discovery and reading docs + manuals? :-)

What is it that you're having the most problem with?

You'll need:
- loadmodule (from the archive on aminet)
- a patched scsi.device suitable for your particular system (get a suitable one pre-patched off the classicwb hdf)
- pfs3aio (from the archive on aminet)
- system-configuration (just to get a 80col screen, devs directory on the install 3.1 floppy)
- hdtoolbox (hdtools directory on the install 3.1 floppy)
- a format command (system directory on the install 3.1 floppy)

Unpack what's needed, stick all of those files into the root of a bootable floppy (use the install command to make a floppy bootable), power down, attach your hard drive/mem card, boot from the floppy and start on your journey. If you're using an emulator, then the floppy is and adf file, it could also be a directory on your host OS which you just mount as a hard drive in the emulator..

So let's learn how to do this for real instead of having yet another step by step tutorial?