English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 October 2011, 11:37   #1
Rhino

2MB SRAM (fast?) installation to Amiga 600

Hi! Newbie in the forum!

I have Amiga 600 and bought 2MB SRAM to play more whdload games. However if I put the PCI SRAM to the slot and start, nothing happens - white screen only. Same thing with left mouse button pressed. The disc-light blinks fast but nothing happens. The blinkin is different without the SRAM - without the SRAM in the slot everything works out fine. I have the 4GB SDcard where it boots and has the games/software.

Is there something I should do to make the SRAM work (I read something about formatting the card either to RAM or DISK)? If that's tha case, could someone please post instructions how to do it from the workbench. And if the workbench doesn't load, should i insert the SRAM in after the normal startup?

Thank you! I'm looking forward to bringing back all of my fond Amiga-memories from my childhood!

Old 27 October 2011, 12:00   #2
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi mate check you havent bent or snapped any pins on your pcmcia slot/port
Old 27 October 2011, 12:11   #3
Rhino

Thanks. Just opened the unit and everything seems ok. No pins bent and it goes to place smoothly. Is this what usually causes this kind of action? Then there's something wrong with the motherboard... Any other suggestions?

Old 27 October 2011, 12:11   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Boot without the SRAM card. Run Prepcard (comes with WB), insert the card, does it hang or does prepcard detect and report inserted SRAM card? If it seems to work fine, use prepcard to "format" it as a RAM expansion.
Old 27 October 2011, 12:18   #5
Rhino

Ok. Where do I type prepcard? Sorry, I really have no clue - I used to insert discs in my youth and play. So... I boot without the card, insert card and white "prepcard" to where?

Old 27 October 2011, 12:30   #6
Rhino

Workbench/Tools/Prepcard -> Prepare as RAM. Now works fine! Thank you! Slows the start up slightly but now it is fine. Why did it work like that? I bouught it as tested for Amiga 600? Does it mean it was not tested or was formatted wrongly etc?

Old 27 October 2011, 13:10   #7
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

proberly not tested nice for getting it going
Old 27 October 2011, 13:22   #8
Rhino

Dammit. Still doesn't work - doesn't add anything to memory. It's broken - going for refund. Prepcard didn't complain anything and it looked fine. Startup fast again without the card. Gonna buy new memory - what is your recommendation? SRAM or memory card?

Old 27 October 2011, 13:28   #9
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

i would get 1 of these if you have the funds

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1003
Old 27 October 2011, 14:40   #10
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnim View Post
i would get 1 of these if you have the funds

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...oducts_id=1003
I agree with johnim if not got for another sram card that hopefully works just dont pay stupid money for it, if you are patient enough, I got mine for £20 which seemed a reasonable price but i have seen them go sometimes for silly money on ebay.
Old 27 October 2011, 16:52   #11
Cammy

If PrepCard seemed to work, and now the bootup is slightly delayed and there's no extra RAM, perhaps you formatted the card as a storage device instead of memory. These PCMCIA SRAM cards can be used as both, and perhaps now you have a little 2MB hard disk rather than the RAM you wanted. Start PrepCard again and make sure you click on "Prepare as System RAM" and reboot, see if that helps.

Good luck!
Old 27 October 2011, 18:47   #12
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
If PrepCard seemed to work, and now the bootup is slightly delayed and there's no extra RAM, perhaps you formatted the card as a storage device instead of memory. These PCMCIA SRAM cards can be used as both, and perhaps now you have a little 2MB hard disk rather than the RAM you wanted. Start PrepCard again and make sure you click on "Prepare as System RAM" and reboot, see if that helps.

Good luck!

or maybe the battery is flat.

roy.
Old 28 October 2011, 07:57   #13
Rhino

In fact - my Amiga 600 motherboard is broken. The card worked ok in another unit and I formatted it correctly - we even formatted it with the another unit again and tested it - OK. It still didn't work in my Amiga 600. PrepCard shows that the battery is ok and everything goes by the book. My Amiga recognizes the card and formats it, but doesn't start with is - in the other unit it worked right away with no glitches. Looking for a replacement A600. Thanks to all!

Old 28 October 2011, 08:38   #14
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
In fact - my Amiga 600 motherboard is broken. The card worked ok in another unit and I formatted it correctly - we even formatted it with the another unit again and tested it - OK. It still didn't work in my Amiga 600. PrepCard shows that the battery is ok and everything goes by the book. My Amiga recognizes the card and formats it, but doesn't start with is - in the other unit it worked right away with no glitches. Looking for a replacement A600. Thanks to all!

maybe its bad capacitors,its very common.
Old 31 October 2011, 21:35   #15
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Or a near death battery inside the RAM card. Remove the battery as you'll not need it and try again.

Also check if the card doesn't have a lock switch (some cards with batteries have it to use as transfer read-only media).