English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 26 January 2013, 23:59   #1
papasmurf

amiga 500 now only displays in b/w

Hi there, forgive me if this problem has already been asked/solved but I have been searching the net all day for an answer.
Yesterday I dug my Amiga 500 outta loft and checked it out, it looked clean (as it was stored away in a tuff case. I loaded a couple of my games up and had a grand trip down memory lane (6hrs actually ). My problem is that when I powered it up today it was only in black/white, well shades of grey, and no matter how I connect it to the TV either with the ariel lead, as I did yesterday or with a scart, it still only displays b/w, yet yesterday all was in colour.
Can anyone help and give me some idea as to what may be a solution?
Thanks in advance Ian

Old 27 January 2013, 00:06   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
Hi there, forgive me if this problem has already been asked/solved but I have been searching the net all day for an answer.
Yesterday I dug my Amiga 500 outta loft and checked it out, it looked clean (as it was stored away in a tuff case. I loaded a couple of my games up and had a grand trip down memory lane (6hrs actually ). My problem is that when I powered it up today it was only in black/white, well shades of grey, and no matter how I connect it to the TV either with the ariel lead, as I did yesterday or with a scart, it still only displays b/w, yet yesterday all was in colour.
Can anyone help and give me some idea as to what may be a solution?
Thanks in advance Ian
Try another tv just to rule out a settings problem on the tv.
That would be my first step as its the simplest.

If not, try reseating all pluggable chips, they are known for dirty contacts causing all sorts of weird problems.
Old 27 January 2013, 00:14   #3
papasmurf

Hi FOL
many thanks for the quick reply, perhaps I should have stated that I have checked and pushed all the removable chips, made sure it was clean, dry and no rust or anything. Also it was on the same tv as I used yesterday, it was left set up but just unplugged from the mains. I have also tried a different tv but no luck. I was wondering if it was the A520 adaptor.
I am off work ill at the moment so would not be able to afford to splash out for new stuff yet
That is why I have registered here and come on to ask.
Again many thanks Ian

Old 27 January 2013, 00:17   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
Hi FOL
many thanks for the quick reply, perhaps I should have stated that I have checked and pushed all the removable chips, made sure it was clean, dry and no rust or anything. Also it was on the same tv as I used yesterday, it was left set up but just unplugged from the mains. I have also tried a different tv but no luck. I was wondering if it was the A520 adaptor.
I am off work ill at the moment so would not be able to afford to splash out for new stuff yet
That is why I have registered here and come on to ask.
Again many thanks Ian
You said you used scart?

RGB to scart? or phono via A520?