English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 14 December 2012, 02:40   #1
clitosa
CLI

Question Locating File Sizes on WB2.1

Hi all - is there a way to find out how much space a particular file or folder is taking up on the HD?

Using the A+I shortcut seem to not show it, unless we are missing something.

We are using WB2.1, thanks

Last edited by clitosa; 14 December 2012 at 02:58.
Old 14 December 2012, 09:48   #2
squidbass

You could use the list command from a shell or better yet install a filemanager like DirOpus4...
Old 14 December 2012, 10:21   #3
jPV

There's also nice DirSize command on Aminet, if you want to install that for shell usage.

And from Workbench you see the file sizes if you switch window mode to view by files. Unfortunately it doesn't tell directory sizes, but you'll easily see sizes of the single files.
Old 14 December 2012, 11:05   #4
Peter
Still an Amiga user

AppiSizer is pretty good...

http://aminet.net/util/app/AppISizer.lha
Old 14 December 2012, 14:21   #5
clitosa
CLI

Question list command for finding file/folder size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidbass View Post
You could use the list command from a shell or better yet install a filemanager like DirOpus4...
@squid - thanks. How i get use the list command in shell to locate file size. I take it i need to type more than just "list"?

thanks
Old 14 December 2012, 14:28   #6
clitosa
CLI

Thumbs down File transfer from aminet is useless with icon tool problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
There's also nice DirSize command on Aminet, if you want to install that for shell usage.
Thanks, but transferring any files on to our amiga at present is a no good as we only get tool icons. For people like us this makes them totally unusable.

We have started a new thread of the problem here:

ADF / LHA files all appearing as non usable Tool icons
Old 14 December 2012, 14:33   #7
Amiga1992

You are totally confused about how an Amiga works. you are supposed to get those icons if you have no def_icons installed. Also, unless you have a program to deal with each file type, you can't use them.
You need LHA, and preferably a disk manager like Directory Opus if you don't know squat about the Shell.
Old 14 December 2012, 15:54   #8
clitosa
CLI

Thumbs down Squat is what we already know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
You are totally confused about how an Amiga works. you are supposed to get those icons if you have no def_icons installed. Also, unless you have a program to deal with each file type, you can't use them.
You need LHA, and preferably a disk manager like Directory Opus if you don't know squat about the Shell.
Yep you could say we know squat about Shell, CLI, Opus ,ADF, LHA, UAE, IDE and a big FAT32 jack regarding def_icons.

The only way we can learn is through help of eab members. That's why we're here! Sometimes they tell us what we don't already know and sometimes their explanations are brief at best!

So we need def_icons installed now? No idea what that is. For us all that means is our DF0 is broken and we're stuck with tool icons.
Old 14 December 2012, 15:56   #9
Amiga1992

No, you do not need def icons. You need to use the shell and download the programs you need to open those filetypes..
Old 14 December 2012, 16:16   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@clitosa
If you can't 'run' a file it simply means you have to open it with an application. That's what Akira means. I'm not exactly sure what your problem is to be honest...

Btw, is there any reason why you always use 'we'?
Old 14 December 2012, 16:19   #11
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I'm not exactly sure what your problem is to be honest...
I think the probelm is having used desktop GUI/Windows interfaces for too long.

I suggest READING THE AMIGA WORKBENCH MANUAL to get acquainted with how the Amiga OS works. Here, have a PDF copy:
http://amigarealm.whdownload.com/arc...sers_Guide.pdf
Old 14 December 2012, 17:38   #12
clitosa
CLI

Quote:
No, you do not need def icons. You need to use the shell and download the programs you need to open those filetypes..
So can someone kindly explain what commands need to used in shell and what programs are needed for for adf & lha formats?
Old 14 December 2012, 17:41   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Do you actually read what people post in reply to you: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=856033&postcount=4 ?
Old 14 December 2012, 17:53   #14
clitosa
CLI

Exclamation

Quote:
@clitosa
If you can't 'run' a file it simply means you have to open it with an application. That's what Akira means. I'm not exactly sure what your problem is to be honest...

Btw, is there any reason why you always use 'we'?
The problem is we have no knowledge as to how to work with tool icons in WB2.1. So what do need (or have to do) to work with them?

Some say we need to download an application to open the files? More guidance for that is needed. Some say write to floppy disk, but our DF0 is dead. Now we're also supposed to use shell, but using what commands?!?

We - as there are two of us trying to figure out how to get our old 1200 running with WB3.1.

We were to hoping to have a better answer than read the manual. I thought eab could provide an easier point of reference? Maybe not...

Quote:
Do you actually read what people post in reply to you: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=856033&postcount=4 ?
Do you actually reply to all posts sarcastically?

Maybe i'm working on multiple responses here?

Quote:
I think the probelm is having used desktop GUI/Windows interfaces for too long.

I suggest READING THE AMIGA WORKBENCH MANUAL to get acquainted with how the Amiga OS works. Here, have a PDF copy:
http://amigarealm.whdownload.com/arc...sers_Guide.pdf
Awsome a wb3.0 guide for wb2.1 users. We'll look for the correct version ourselves

Last edited by DH; 14 December 2012 at 19:22.
Old 14 December 2012, 18:12   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by clitosa View Post
Do you actually reply to all posts sarcastically?
No, but as you already got an answer and doesn't seem to try I'll might come across as sarcastic when I point that out.

Quote:
Maybe i'm working on multiple responses here?
Before you understand how to use a 'tool icon' you should understand how to use the application itself. You'll need the applications pointed out by mark_k and then you can come back to your 'open with a tool' icon problem. Some basic reading might be a good idea right now.

Anyway, I'm quite busy, so all the best you can sort your problems by getting spoonfed here
Old 14 December 2012, 19:15   #16
Amiga1992

Quote:
Awsome a wb3.0 guide for wb2.1 users. We'll look for the correct version ourselves
2.1 is basically 3.0 for kickstart 2+

As you CLEARLY have NO idea of what you are doing, you better read ANYTHING regarding the Amiga. It does seem you don't read what people say to you. Stop talking about "tool icons", read the manual and get a clue, people are giving you plenty of solutions here, but it seems you need spoonfeeding.

As for me, I'll stop wasting my time trying to help those who will not listen.
Old 14 December 2012, 19:30   #17
DH
Global Moderator

@clitosa

Please use the edit button instead of posting post after post after post, it's not really very difficult

Also, I understand you have absolutely no idea as to what you're doing with your Amiga or the Amiga shell/Cli or anything else. You've obviously jumped into the deep end without knowledge and my only suggestion is to find some info and try to learn the very basics first

WinUAE can help you grasp what's needed and required also there are many, and I mean many, threads posted on EAB here that you can search, that will be very informative for your quest. Just try a little searching first before committing yourself to create another 'how do I do this' thread.
Old 14 December 2012, 19:41   #18
clitosa
CLI

Wtf!

Quote:
2.1 is basically 3.0 for kickstart 2+

As you CLEARLY have NO idea of what you are doing, you better read ANYTHING regarding the Amiga. It does seem you don't read what people say to you. Stop talking about "tool icons", read the manual and get a clue, people are giving you plenty of solutions here, but it seems you need spoonfeeding.

As for me, I'll stop wasting my time trying to help those who will not listen.
Sounds like a plan. You invest your time helping others who already have experience as you CLEARLY don't care about helping those that don’t.

We were not all born knowing amiga hardware

Better idea why don't we all forget EAB and read the manual. At least in there it does not state the reader knows squat!
Old 14 December 2012, 19:47   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Better idea why don't we all forget EAB and read the manual. At least in there it does not state the reader knows squat!
Even better idea: Stop whining, learn to read posts and then solve your problems
Old 14 December 2012, 20:13   #20
thomas

Quote:
@squid - thanks. How i get use the list command in shell to locate file size. I take it i need to type more than just "list"?

thanks

Did you try to type just "list"?