English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 January 2005, 10:34   #1
Graham Humphrey

Sensible Software

Whatever happened to them anyway? Are they still going or not? It would be a shame if they're not as they wrote some of the best Amiga games ever (I don't think you need me to tell you what they are!). The last thing I remember them doing was Sensible Soccer on the PlayStation.
Old 21 January 2005, 11:10   #2
ant512

They were bought by Codemasters, who went on to release Cannon Fodder for the Game Boy Color. In other developments, their Mega Drive games (Cannon Fodder, Megalomania and Sensible Soccer) are going to be released as one of those direct-to-TV jobbies. It will, apparently, have two controllers.

John Hare is currently working with the Bitmap Brothers to port some of the Sensible games to mobile phones (mobile version of Java, presumably).
Old 21 January 2005, 11:36   #3
Graham Humphrey

At least they weren't bought by EA I suppose.
Old 22 January 2005, 04:10   #4
oldpx

Are bitmaps active? Their website isn't updated for years and it says thay are still developing chaos engine and gods for GBA which apparently isn't the case. Crawfish interactive was doing them until going bust.

Last edited by oldpx; 24 January 2005 at 01:21.

Old 22 January 2005, 11:29   #5
Graham Humphrey

The Bitmaps are still going - I bought this Retro book not so long ago (full of articles from the retro section of GamesTM magazine) and there is an interview with them. They are apparently developing something at the moment, can't remember what it is though.
Old 22 January 2005, 15:48   #6
IFW

You can develop real time games using Symbian, or Windows Mobile in C++ and assembly no need them to be crap like Java games normally are since you can use the system to its full potential.
Old 23 January 2005, 22:33   #7
StarEye
Zone Friend

I think Bitmaps Brothers are developing Speedball Arena, which is supposed to be a online version of Speedball. Let's hope it's better than Speedball 2100.
Old 23 January 2005, 22:55   #8
Peanutuk

A good sight all about Sensible Software during and after can be found here. Some interesting interviews regarding the sale of Sensible and the demise of certain titles.
Old 24 January 2005, 11:52   #9
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
I think Bitmaps Brothers are developing Speedball Arena, which is supposed to be a online version of Speedball. Let's hope it's better than Speedball 2100.
I must admit I really don't see the problem with Speedball 2100. It's basically Speedball 2 with different graphics - the gameplay is exactly the same.
Old 24 January 2005, 13:31   #10
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Let's hope it get's released first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
I must admit I really don't see the problem with Speedball 2100. It's basically Speedball 2 with different graphics - the gameplay is exactly the same.
Haven't played the full version (still downloading from eDonkey ), but as i remember the demo version, i played some years ago it is REALLY similar to [SpeedBall 1] Same tiny "playfield", nicely felt characters moves, etc...
Old 24 January 2005, 16:56   #11
StarEye
Zone Friend

While the gameplay in Speedball 2100 stayed the same (honestly can't remember, I'll give it another go), the messy graphics ruined the playability. Speedball 2 had "better" graphics, imho.
Old 25 January 2005, 13:58   #12
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
While the gameplay in Speedball 2100 stayed the same (honestly can't remember, I'll give it another go), the messy graphics ruined the playability. Speedball 2 had "better" graphics, imho.
I agree with you about the graphics - perhaps they "felt" wrong - but I bought it for £10 a few years ago and played it lots - certainly got my money's worth. Although I probably wouldn't have bought it if my Amiga Speedball 2 still worked.
Old 25 January 2005, 18:04   #13
Anubis
Retro Gamer

One time I screwed up a game (put the wrong disk while making a copy, as it was not labeled) and I still can't find the game I've deleted.

It was very simillar to Sensible Soccer, just it was basketball. Very same great game play, as I just tried it, and went for making a copy of the game.

Any ideas?
Old 25 January 2005, 18:16   #14
BippyM
Global Moderator

Tip Off?
Old 25 January 2005, 18:28   #15
Peanutuk

Kick Nick Faldo's Face Off ?
Old 25 January 2005, 18:41   #16
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Quote:
Exactly right. Also the fact that it is, by today's standards, an incredibly limited game! I remember reading an interview with Eric Matthews and he was talking about all the things they wanted to put into the Amiga version, but couldn't (pitch invasions, and other cool stuff) and what we got with '2100' was the EXACT same game!

The version I tested while I worked at Sony didn't even have a multiplayer league option! That's something that could add longevity to the game AND is incredibly easy to program. It was shocking the lack of imagination that went into Speedball 2100, they could have really done something special.

Even the new screenshots look like nothing special. They need to take the idea and expand it further.

Anyways, whatever happened to Eric Matthews? I always felt (rightly or wrongly) that he was the brainchild behind a lot of the really cool stuff the Bitmaps did.

Also: Why on earth don't Sensible release Sex N' Drugs N' Rock N' Roll through their website?! They could sell it very easily these days, without fear of publisher meddling.
Old 26 January 2005, 19:17   #17
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
Tip Off?
I'm not sure. Players looked more sensible soccer or cannon fodder alike.

But I might be wrong about that.

Game speed was also fast, simillar to Sensible Soccer.