English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 January 2005, 17:00   #1
Thoth Amon

Mac --> Amiga transfers?

Hello!

First: I am new here.

Second: I have an A1200HD, which I have had in my closet for a few years. I recently pulled it down to play around. I don't have much software - just the Magic Bundle, or whatever it was called, but am interested in getting more.

Third: I read quite a bit of the FAQ which was linked from the "Welcome letter" I received. I did not see any FAQs in regards to transferring files from a Mac. They seem to deal primarily with copying to a floppy (I have no floppy drive on my Mac). I also do not have a CD-Rom on the Amiga. Is there a FAQ dealing with this? If not, any ideas? My Mac has USB ports and a Firewire port, but nothing else. Am I screwed?

Thanks!

Old 07 January 2005, 17:28   #2
Jim

You'll need to get a network card for your Amiga (I presume your Mac has one?), or maybe you'll have to get some sort of serial/parallel adaptor for your Mac so you can run a serial/parallel cable to your Amiga. Or a Amiga CD Drive.

As for the transfering software I don't know what you can use - with resident Mac pant-creamers Akira & Dred The *uck here I think you'll soon find out....

Old 07 January 2005, 18:07   #3
Amiga1992

I think you better search for the help of a PC owning chum, at least for the very first steps. It's sometimes not easy even with a PC. After the first steps have been taken (transferring your first programs into the miggy) your best bet is to look for nnetworking software and a NIC for your mac, since your mac has no serial port

alternatively you could purchase a serial port card expansion into your mac, if its not an imac sort of thing.
Old 07 January 2005, 18:17   #4
Thoth Amon

Quote:
You'll need to get a network card for your Amiga
Wow! They can be networked? In that case, I assume I can just buy a NIC for the A1200 and get online over my router. That would be easier (I think) than trying to transfer files. The NIC hooks up to the expansion port? I will have to research this, I guess.

Old 07 January 2005, 18:19   #5
Thoth Amon

Quote:
alternatively you could purchase a serial port card expansion into your mac, if its not an imac sort of thing.
It is an iBook. No expansion at all, other than externally.

Old 07 January 2005, 22:24   #6
Amiga1992

iBook like mine

No expansion port. You have to buy a notebook 16 bit PCMCIA NIC card. Which oine? Its one of the models compatible with the cnet.device you can find on aminet. Use the search function of this forum to find more data because it hasbeen discussed thoroughly
Old 13 January 2005, 16:54   #7
Android
A1200 Pervert OnBoard

Didnt the tool AMax read Mac floppy's ? and let you write to the amiga's devices ? I used to DTP on that emulator as i had Pagemaker 1 on a single floppy, and it was far superior to Wordsworth at the time and wasnt verticly resolution challenged lol ....
Old 13 January 2005, 17:08   #8
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
I think you better search for the help of a PC owning chum......
bwhahahaha

(you know why I'm laughing at this)

Old 20 January 2005, 01:42   #9
MacTO

I'm in the same predicament. Here are a few Ideas I had. Anyone is willing to comment upon them.

I've been using ZTerm on the Mac, Term (available from Aminet) on the Amiga, and just transfering via z-modem. You should be able to get a USB to serial adapter for you iBook.

Another option which I would like to explore is hooking up an HFS formatted hard drive to the Mac, dumping files onto it, then connecting the hard drive to the Amiga (assuming that I can get the accelerator card working for Amiga OS 3.5).

Third option is to write stuff to a CD and read it from an external CD on my Amiga.
Old 20 January 2005, 06:58   #10
Amiga1992

What about connecting your iBook's modem jack o a modem conencted to the Amiga? I think this should work,probably did it once with two PCs.
Old 10 February 2005, 18:59   #11
powrslave

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

just get one of these for amiga 1200
works great..less filling