English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 22 June 2023, 07:40   #1
whowasphone

How can I make a plug n play CD32 with Raspberry pie?

I am very sorry if this question has been asked before, I did search but nothing came up as far as I could see.

I would like to make a plug n play CD32 mini type console using a raspberry pi.

It would nice to be able to sit on the sofa and go through the CD32 library with my daughter on the TV without the hassle of booting up my pc all the time.

Does anyone know how to do this? I would appreciate any advice on parts or how to create such a thing!

I have never made anything with a raspberry pi before, so please excuse my ignorance. I am very willing to learn though!

I think I can trick my wife into thinking I am trying to expand my CV by taking up programming by doing such a project lol.

Last year I actually made a mock up box of what a CD32 mini console might look like. These mini consoles usually contain a range of good and bad games. I based the list on the C64 mini which contained a lot of games from TEAM 17. I also included a few terrible games like Dangerous Streets and Kang Fu, as they have become an integral part of the CD32's image over the years. I tried to include games that actually took advantage of the CD format for CD quality audio. I attached my mockups to this post for fun

Thank you in advance for your time and patience!

(Edit; Lol, my ignorance is showing from the very title. I am looking for engineering / programming help rather than cooking recipes!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD 32 MINI BOX BACK.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	481.1 KB
ID:	79469   Click image for larger version

Name:	cd32 mini front.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	582.4 KB
ID:	79470  

Last edited by whowasphone; 22 June 2023 at 08:02.
Old 22 June 2023, 08:54   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I haven't tried it myself, but you should have a look at Amiberry (https://blitterstudio.com/amiberry/) as it has CD32 support and works on the raspberry pi.
Old 22 June 2023, 13:33   #3
Sani11

Love your enthusiasm and that mock-up box sounds like a fun project! As @TCD mentioned, Amiberry is a great start, it emulates Amiga systems and has CD32 support.

To help you get started with Raspberry Pi, I recommend Raspberry Pi's official website for beginner guides. You'll need to install an OS on your Raspberry Pi (Raspbian is a good choice), then you can install Amiberry on top of that.

Remember, making this kind of project is all about learning and having fun. Don't be discouraged if you hit some roadblocks, we all do. The community here is always ready to help! Also, your secret's safe with us about your CV "expansion" ??.
Old 22 June 2023, 16:10   #4
Bren McGuire

you should probably use something like batocera
https://batocera.org/
Old 22 June 2023, 17:41   #5
giantclam

I've been mucking about with Amiberry for the last 6 months or so, on linux using x86-64 hardware, so I know it pretty well. The main intent of Amiberry however, is to run on ARM boards/devices like the RPi (and many others). Whether you use DietPi, RetroPi, or whatever other linux based distro there is for ARM to run Amiberry on, this below is more or less going to be largely true for both ARM & x86-64 builds of Amiberry ...

..in the YT vid, you can see I've got 2 ways of hitting the Amiga CD32 title targets...

In the first example user has downloaded a zip file containing 2 .iso and 1 .cue file to the CD32 Cannon Fodder title. User starts amiberry, loads a prepared config for this title, and shows it's merely a basic A500 config booting ks-1.3 ROM, with the game .cue file loaded in the CD file widget -> start emulator, we have a win. (hint: kicking on 1.3 instead bypasses cd lock you'll find kicking cd32 rom)....

...but i rarely go there, (and think the cmdline might be broken on that but in GUI it works fine), because in the second example you see I can just open the links browser, browse to the CD32 whdload version of this same title, and just have Amiberry open that...

In the Amiberry crowd, many use retropi + amiberry on RPi boards.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 23 June 2023, 02:56   #7
whowasphone

Thank you very much for all of the useful replies! I am still uncertain on the termonology, but I will keep reading and learning!

I came across a custom CD32 mod for Retropie that I think looks really cool, I'll share it here in case others are interested!

https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/co...d_satellaview/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeboss View Post
DietPi has turn-key ready images with Amiberry in them
These are system images that are used to load Amiberry? Thank you for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantclam View Post
..in the YT vid, you can see I've got 2 ways of hitting the Amiga CD32 title targets...
[ Show youtube player ]
Thank you very much! I know this video will be very useful when I start trying to load CDs! The Pi has no problems trying to load CD based titles then, even ones with CD quality audio and voice acting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sani11 View Post
To help you get started with Raspberry Pi, I recommend Raspberry Pi's official website for beginner guides. You'll need to install an OS on your Raspberry Pi (Raspbian is a good choice), then you can install Amiberry on top of that.
Thank you very much for your lovely comment! Remembering not to get discouraged is a very important thing! I am glad the Amiga community is so welcoming and understanding! Thanks for keeping my secret safe! My wife seems to think that I can just take up programming and computer engineering and then switch careers overnight! Well I would certainly like to know how all of these things actually work and they only way to do that is jump in the deep end and start swimming!

I found the beginner tutorial here
https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/...i-setting-up/0

So I won't need to have WinUAE installed because Amiberry will be doing the Amiga emulation?

I assume I can also run other emulators for things like NES, Spectrum or BBC Micro with Retropie without having to do any kind of hard disc partition?

I tried to make a shopping list for any other newbies like me who find this thread, please correct me if I make a mistake!
Do you think a case fan will be necessary?

Software
Raspbian - Operating System
Amiberry - Amiga Emulation
RetroPi - Frontend GUI for Amiberry

Games
In ISO format with Config and Cue files
Legally acquired Amiga Kickstart ROMs - Used to boot the Amiga hardware

Hardware
Raspberry Pi - 4 Model B seems like a good choice. Is 8GB RAM overkill or necessary?
Power supply - Official is best.
A micro HDMI to HDMI adapter
Micro SD Card - For game and OS storage
USB Controllers - I already have two SNES style controllers that work well.

CD32 Case
I found two here, a mini one, and one that is the same as the original

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5442317

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5442304

Last edited by whowasphone; 23 June 2023 at 07:51.
Old 23 June 2023, 17:18   #8
Bren McGuire

i will again say this would all be easier using something like batocera it comes all preconfigured just put in your games
Old 24 June 2023, 02:19   #9
giantclam

Quote:
Originally Posted by whowasphone View Post

//snip//

I found the beginner tutorial here
https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/...i-setting-up/0

So I won't need to have WinUAE installed because Amiberry will be doing the Amiga emulation?

I assume I can also run other emulators for things like NES, Spectrum or BBC Micro with Retropie without having to do any kind of hard disc partition?

I tried to make a shopping list for any other newbies like me who find this thread, please correct me if I make a mistake!
Do you think a case fan will be necessary?

Software
Raspbian - Operating System
Amiberry - Amiga Emulation
RetroPi - Frontend GUI for Amiberry

Games
In ISO format with Config and Cue files
Legally acquired Amiga Kickstart ROMs - Used to boot the Amiga hardware

Hardware
Raspberry Pi - 4 Model B seems like a good choice. Is 8GB RAM overkill or necessary?
Power supply - Official is best.
A micro HDMI to HDMI adapter
Micro SD Card - For game and OS storage
USB Controllers - I already have two SNES style controllers that work well.

CD32 Case
I found two here, a mini one, and one that is the same as the original

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5442317

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5442304

Yes, that's a reasonable approach ~ you should also take a look at Lakka which is pretty much all the above software-wise.
Old 27 June 2023, 22:13   #10
XPD
Geek Kiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
i will again say this would all be easier using something like batocera it comes all preconfigured just put in your games
+1 for Batocera as well if you are looking to emulate more than just Amiga. Its not quite pre-configured for everything, a little work does need to be done for Amiga emulation but overall its a fantastic little system that runs on anything and does do most of the work for you so you can get on with the gaming
Old 16 July 2023, 12:14   #11
Seiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by whowasphone View Post
I would like to make a plug n play CD32 mini type console using a raspberry pi.
instead to create a mini console, you could emulate CD32 with a Raspberry and so access to all CD32 games easily.

edit: oh, but maybe you doing exactly this putting rasp inside a mini case for tv connection