Old 25 December 2018, 14:29   #21
zzbylu
Saberman

earok: I did what I could to do this video as fast as possible. :P
Old 25 December 2018, 22:51   #22
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Earok, outstanding work as always!

I can't play this on my Amiga since I only own an 68k A600, but it does looks insanely playable, has enough levels and features to be a commercial game, and that you managed to make all this work in just 3 weeks it's just amazing!
Old 26 December 2018, 00:26   #23
earok

Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words

@Cobe We're growing up together!

Edit: Please do let me know if there's any issues playing the experimental build on an adequately equipped ECS/OCS machine. I haven't got any way to play through it on real non-AGA hardware.

Last edited by earok; 26 December 2018 at 00:34.
Old 26 December 2018, 15:59   #24
vulture

Thx for the xmas gift earok!
Old 26 December 2018, 19:47   #25
DamienD
Banned

Hi earok,

Thanks for the Christmas present and porting the game over the Amiga

I guess I should really make a new entry for this in the Ports / Conversions --> Amiga thread?

Edit: done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Windows ports / conversions:

• The Kiwi's Tale [earok]: thread
Old 27 December 2018, 10:05   #26
earok

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

@Damien, I thought about putting it in the contest, particularly with (potentially) a new GFX set and tracker music on the way. But.. I wasn't so sure, particularly since it's more or less a straight port of an existing game. What do you think? I won't be offended either way

I haven't seen anyone beat level 3 yet, so I've compiled a short walkthrough and easter egg guide. I'm writing this mostly from memory so I may have missed something. Obviously, spoilers below:

Level 1: Stewart Island
Plain and simple, simply cross the level and climb to the top of the hill at the end.

There's a dark easter egg right near the start - a "Steve I" tombstone in an area with Stingrays.

A complete set of Aotearoa letters (yielding an extra life) can be found in underwater caves at the bottom left and bottom right of the level.

Tui billboard 1: "An alien sheep kidnapped my mates" near the middle
Tui billboard 2: "I love it when you talk during the rugby" near the bottom right

Level 2: Dunedin
Still fairly simple, there's Kiwis on three different levels of Larnach Castle you need to collect.

The level is made more complicated by the introduction of flying enemies. Balloons can be stolen from hedgehogs by grabbing the balloon from the bottom (although don't touch the hedgehog itself!). Biplanes can only be stolen by shooting the Pukeko out of the cockpit first.

One secret area - the area at the top left can be flown to and contains a few letters.

Tui billboard: "Kiwi's can't fly" at the top left

Level 3: Queenstown
Two Kiwis to rescue. The easiest way to get the first is to climb to the top left of the level, and then cross the platforms to the right. The second is simply at the middle of the right end of the level, and there's multiple ways to get there. Several secret areas can be found by exploring the maze like underwater section near the middle.

Tui billboard: "Nothing to see here" in a secret area near the bottom center

Level 4: Mt Cook
A very short "bonus" level. There's a full set of AOTEAROA letters, and you need to get all of them - if you already have some, you'll need to get the rest of them (to yield an extra life) first.

Level 5: Punakaiki
You can bypass almost the entire level by walking through a wall near the start - but it's best that you play through the whole thing at least once!

There's a winding system of caves through the level but it's impossible to keep lost, just keep going. If you manage to steal the biplane, you can use it to fly through an upper cave path to take a few letters as a reward.

When you swim into the ocean, you'll need to steal the helicopter from the sheep in order to fly to the top of the level - carefully navigating the saw maze and taking letters if you wish - before finding the Kiwi in the top-center on the Pancake rocks.

Level 6: Kaikoura
For the most part, this level is simple and straight forward - except for the maze of platforms near the end. The platforms near the top lead to a secret area, the platforms near the bottom lead to the exit.

Tui billboard: "An Alien sheep kidnapped my mates" at the optional area near the top right of the level.

Level 7: Taniwha
The first boss is a creature from Maori mythology. It doesn't move, but you'll need to stand on a platform in order to be able to hit it with your arrows. Be careful of the snails that flow down from the top of the level, and there's enough letters in the level to yield an extra life.

Level 8: Cook Strait
This is a fairly straightforward level broken into four sections. The third section might be the most confusing, as there's platform-clouds that you need to cross in order to reach the final section (ignore the underwater maze here unless you want bonuses). You will need to navigate a water maze in the final section, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Tui billboard: "Come back Russell, all is forgiven" (a reference to Russell Coutts) on the left of the second section.

Level 9: Tarakani
A straightforward climb upwards through the level. Pay close attention to the Kiwi direction arrow as it's easy to bypass the Kiwi around the middle of the level. The main hazard is spike dropping bats, so keep an eye on the space above the Kiwi.

Tui billboard: "Kiwis look like chickens" (a reference to the New Zealand Story) at the end of the level if you look down.

Level 10: Taupo
The primary feature of this level is a huge lake. There are two Kiwis - to get the first, swim to the bottom right of the lake and navigate the heavily defended underwater sci-fi base. The second Kiwi is above the first, inside the "house" inside the hillside. If you find the green balloons, you're on the right track - simply fly one of them upward to find the Kiwi.

There are some letters guarded by sharks in the lake, primarily at the left side.

Tui billboard: "I can carry a Rocket Launcher easily"

Level 11: Ruapehu
Another bonus level, but you're on a balloon this time. Simply collect all the letters and you're set - remember that if you can't pick up a letter, you'll need to collect the others first.

Level 12: Waitomo
A large and maze like cave level with long underwater sections. There are no less than five Kiwis to collect - get the first one from the cloud top before attempting to navigate the lower areas. Keep an eye on your oxygen counter and follow the walls the whole way around to discover all of the cave sections.

Level 13: Tokoroa
Possibly the largest and most confusing level in the game. There are only two Kiwis, one near the top left and one near the top right.

The top left Kiwi is the less dangerous of the two to get, but you'll need to navigate a potentially confusing maze of platforms to get there. Alternatively, if you're feeling cheap, you could just take a vehicle right up the long "chute" above where the player starts.

The top right Kiwi is easier to find, but guarded by heavily armed sheep. Easiest path is to go to the very right edge of the level, and then steal a vehicle to fly straight upwards.

Tui billboard: "We shouldn't, we're flatmates" near the top center of the level.

Level 14: Sky Tower
Similar to Taranaki but a fair bit harder, this is a climb straight upwards to find several Kiwis along the level. While most of the level can be ascended with climbing platforms, near the top of the level you'll want to find or steal a vehicle.

Tui billboard: "I haven't fallen off once" on the right edge of the level half way up the tower.

Level 15: UFO
Similar to the Taniwha boss, but you're on a balloon this time. Fetch the letters for an extra life if you wish. Beware of the laser blasts - it's better that they hit your balloon than you, but your balloon can only take three hits.

If you lose your balloon, you can still hang around on the platform at the bottom-center of the map until you can steal a helicopter.
Old 27 December 2018, 13:00   #27
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
@Damien, I thought about putting it in the contest, particularly with (potentially) a new GFX set and tracker music on the way. But.. I wasn't so sure, particularly since it's more or less a straight port of an existing game. What do you think? I won't be offended either way
You mean the EAB GameDev Competition?

I'm not a judge... but I think that considering this game was developed by you for the "2008 Retro Remakes competition" and has been worked on for many years before ported it across to Amiga; not sure if it's fair to enter this in.

You can try PM'ing the judges though and see what they think:
  • Shatterhand
  • Ian
  • Graham Humphrey
  • MikeyG
  • Portuguese Pilot
  • Linesmachine
  • Malko
  • John4P
Old 27 December 2018, 13:18   #28
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I'm not a judge... but I think that considering this game was developed by you for the "2008 Retro Remakes competition" and has been worked on for many years before ported it across to Amiga; not sure if it's fair to enter this in.
You're absolutely right, I was a bit on the fence about it but that's a very good point. I'll leave the contest to the great people making games ground up for it.
Old 27 December 2018, 20:51   #29
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I assume you made this on Blitz Basic ?
Old 27 December 2018, 22:00   #30
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I assume you made this on Blitz Basic ?
I did indeed. Made a few notes about the underpinning concepts of the engine on the Blitz forum.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1293175
Old 28 December 2018, 20:29   #31
earok

The game's going to be streamed on AmigaBill's twitch shortly - https://www.twitch.tv/amigabill
Old 29 December 2018, 22:54   #32
apex

Thank you very much earok!
Nice Christmas present.

If you want to sell a boxed edition, I can recommend polyplay.xyz.
Old 29 December 2018, 23:07   #33
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex View Post
Thank you very much earok!
Nice Christmas present.

If you want to sell a boxed edition, I can recommend polyplay.xyz.
Cheers, but there'll be no commercial editions - I'll never ever charge for this. Too many people have contributed bits and pieces to the 2008 original, some of the art comes from the internet. It also lacks the necessary polish.
Old 30 December 2018, 00:10   #34
earok

The experimental version has been updated again, this time 68000 is the new minimum requirement (although 68020 is still the recommended minimum level).

Which is to say, the game is now compatible with any 2MB chip Amiga, though likely baring some early KS versions.

At least in emulator it seems perfectly playable on 68000 settings, though you'll need to put up with more sluggish enemies and projectiles.

There's some tracker music on the way, so I'll do a full blown "1.1" release sometime in the new year.
Old 30 December 2018, 00:30   #35
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I have just completed Kiwi's Tale on my Amiga 1200 minutes ago. Nice to see all those familiar names in outro credits!
Old 30 December 2018, 00:37   #36
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I have just completed Kiwi's Tale on my Amiga 1200 minutes ago. Nice to see all those familiar names in outro credits!
Nice! I hope you enjoyed it.
Old 31 December 2018, 02:11   #37
Pyromania

This looks like an awesome game.
Old 31 December 2018, 04:50   #38
earok

Cheers @pyromania

If it's any interest to anyone, all of the maps are online. https://imgur.com/a/SUgu1YX
Old 31 December 2018, 08:47   #39
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Great! I wanted to see the full maps.
Old 31 December 2018, 09:45   #40
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

must be added to HOL