English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 21 September 2015, 19:59   #1
jPV

Finnish Amiga Users Group's Saku 2015 Event on September 26th

Finnish Amiga Users Group holds its 8th Saku event in Oulu, Finland on Saturday, September 26th. The event will present a good variety of machines from the Amiga's 30 years old history, from the original Amiga 1000 to the latest AmigaOne X1000.

Finnish Amiga retailer Gentle Eye, computing culture magazine Skrolli, and Effi ry are also present with their products.

Admittance is free of charge and refreshments will be available. Saku 2015 will start at 14:00 on September 26th at Oulun Tetra ground floor conference room at Mäkelininkatu 31.

Please visit the users group's website at http://saku.bbs.fi for more information.

Welcome!
Old 27 September 2015, 19:45   #2
Decker

Well organised, congratulations. Ironically, I would have missed this event if you hadn't posted it on EAB.

Old 27 September 2015, 20:28   #3
jPV

Thanks! Good that we finally made some kind of English announcement then, although a bit late

Good looking photos you have there.

Some other photos:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...61420537225573

And a video:
[ Show youtube player ]

More to come next days...

Last edited by jPV; 27 September 2015 at 20:41.
Old 27 September 2015, 20:50   #4
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Well organised, congratulations. Ironically, I would have missed this event if you hadn't posted it on EAB.
It's cool to see a whole wall full of live Amiga games like that also, what demo (or game?) is that in the last picture?
Old 27 September 2015, 21:05   #5
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
It's cool to see a whole wall full of live Amiga games like that also, what demo (or game?) is that in the last picture?
Yeah, we had 5 video projectors this time It really adds the experience and it's fun to play multiplayer linkup games like SCR and Super Skidmarks on projectors.

The demo is Starstruck by TBL. Running on E-UAE on MorphOS on Mac mini... although we had a 060 Amiga there on one projector, but people wanted to check how well the latest JIT version of E-UAE works
Old 28 September 2015, 21:21   #6
jPV

Photo Report.
Old 12 October 2015, 16:59   #7
jPV

Photo Report 2 with English comments.
Old 13 October 2015, 09:11   #8
Decker

It was refreshing to see other people's setups. A few surprises too.

1200 systems were running everything between 3.1-3.9 I think... with very resource efficient configurations. Almost every system running Magellan. No Scalos and no pre-packaged setups like ClassicWB on any of them.

I think all TAC-2's had microswitch buttons. Blew my mind, I didn't know people do that. I can see the benefit, though.
Old 13 October 2015, 18:56   #9
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
1200 systems were running everything between 3.1-3.9 I think... with very resource efficient configurations. Almost every system running Magellan. No Scalos and no pre-packaged setups like ClassicWB on any of them.
Yeah, we've been concentrating more to the functionality than to the looks in our gaming A1200 systems. And avoid patches you don't need to be sure that you have stable system and enough free chipmem to run all games and demos from the booted up system (no need to boot without startup-sequence for any program).

Magellan2 is the most powerful extension to AmigaOS, but still very resource efficient, and you don't need much other commodities/stuff running besides it, it does all you need and is very stable. You'll get fast and comprehensive file listers, startmenus are nice program launchers, everything is consistent etc. And we'll still have chipmem even to launch T-Zer0 and other memory hungry games and programs

I've never been that excited about Scalos, which is quite hacky (MCP roots) and doesn't offer that much afterall. And pre-packaged systems are so far off from my personal taste.. brr.. :P

Quote:
I think all TAC-2's had microswitch buttons. Blew my mind, I didn't know people do that. I can see the benefit, though.
It's sooo much better for your thumb than the original solution! With microswitches you don't have a dead thumb after long (or even shorter) sessions It's very easy to mod, just some glue and re-wiring couple wires is enough. Here is an example how it looks.
Old 17 November 2015, 19:19   #10
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
Yeah, we've been concentrating more to the functionality than to the looks in our gaming A1200 systems. And avoid patches you don't need to be sure that you have stable system and enough free chipmem to run all games and demos from the booted up system (no need to boot without startup-sequence for any program).

Magellan2 is the most powerful extension to AmigaOS, but still very resource efficient, and you don't need much other commodities/stuff running besides it, it does all you need and is very stable. You'll get fast and comprehensive file listers, startmenus are nice program launchers, everything is consistent etc. And we'll still have chipmem even to launch T-Zer0 and other memory hungry games and programs
Well, was capturing something else from my A1200/030, and captured little presentation generally of my setup too
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 November 2015, 20:29   #11
jPV

I was annoyed by the audio quality on the previous video, so I made a new one with better audio:
[ Show youtube player ]