English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 April 2009, 18:29   #1
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Your experience with MAME

Hi,

Since I just upgraded from MAME 0.119 to MAME 0.130 (well, all non Neo Geo games, at least), I wanted to know if some of you

• still care for Windows (or Mac) binaries of MAME , and most importantly
  • how you manage to deal with updates

, since they are numerous and one needs to devote some time to the Amiga (and to real life, occasionally ).

By the way, I use MAME Plus! which bears some elements of MAMEUI in conjunction with EmuLoader. The reason why I upgraded is because older MAME ports run 3D games too fast with modern CPUs.

Subsidiary question : Except Street Fighter Alpha', what is your favorite VS Fight Game on this platform ?

Note : Please do not discuss of obtaining roms here (ask me instead )
Old 19 April 2009, 18:33   #2
keropi

regarding updates, I am a member of Underground Gamer (like many here) so I just use UG to update my set everytime
Old 19 April 2009, 18:36   #3
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi View Post
regarding updates, I am a member of Underground Gamer (like many here) so I just use UG to update my set everytime
Do you mean is there a way to automatically update all the roms?
Changed + missing ones? (missing from the user's hard disk, I mean )
That would be great!
Old 19 April 2009, 18:47   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi View Post
Or Pleasuredome Now if someone would send a 1 TB external HDD my way to store all the stuff...
Old 19 April 2009, 18:54   #5
Bloodwych

I love MAME!

I stopped with a complete collection of v106 that I have backed up on DVD and haven't bothered to update since. I got tired of the HUGE CHD files and most of the additions seemed to be 3D games, which I'm not really bothered about.

Plus as you know, when you update a MAME version, you have to update all your collection to match.

I'm very happy with v106 as it plays all the 2D classics fine. Perhaps I'll upgrade in the future, if I find some game improvements for the Classics or game editions I'm interested in.
Old 19 April 2009, 19:10   #6
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Or Pleasuredome Now if someone would send a 1 TB external HDD my way to store all the stuff...

There you go... Happy?

MAME is great i just upgraded to version 130 just to find that many games didn't work... Hell'ya!
Old 19 April 2009, 19:16   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
There you go... Happy?

/me tries to grab that drive off the screen...
Meh, doesn't work

I really need some more space before I can start to get into MAME (too much other emulator/old game stuff already). At least I have the NeoGeo stuff which is rather okay for now
Old 19 April 2009, 19:24   #8
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
I love MAME!

I stopped with a complete collection of v106 that I have backed up on DVD and haven't bothered to update since. I got tired of the HUGE CHD files and most of the additions seemed to be 3D games, which I'm not really bothered about.

Plus as you know, when you update a MAME version, you have to update all your collection to match.

I'm very happy with v106 as it plays all the 2D classics fine. Perhaps I'll upgrade in the future, if I find some game improvements for the Classics or game editions I'm interested in.
You are genius, aint you?
I am tired with updating too, its neverending story. I will upgrade in near future, then again wait for year or two (or three ).

Subsidiary answer: Mat Mania and Mania Challenge, its not classic VS Fight Game but its one my fav of alltime (one of the first I remember from coinup machines, with Circus Charlie and Invaders) so dont expect me to say something else. Sorry
Old 19 April 2009, 19:34   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I love MAME!

Bloodwych, you're a man after my own heart!
Old 19 April 2009, 19:55   #10
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Pleasuredome is for all my roms/CHD needs.
I can't believe how easy it is to maintain a good ratio there.
I always compile the MAME binary myself as it's the easiest way to go when using the diff update patches posted regularly on mamedev.
And last but not least, EmuLoader.. YEAH.

I'm glad I got myself a 1TB drive, a full MAME 0.130u4 set is friggin' huge (162GB).
Old 19 April 2009, 21:20   #11
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I love MAME!

I'm a massive arcade head from way back and absolutely love MAME (hence why I bought a HotRodSE back in 2002) but I'm with Bloodwych on this

The last complete set I have on my old ThinkPad T42 is v0.100 and that plays virtually all the classics that I want. I do have all the ROM updated to v0.130 though but haven't bother with the CHDs etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
Subsidiary question : Except Street Fighter Alpha', what is your favorite VS Fight Game on this platform ?
I do love all the Capcom and Neo-Geo vs fight games and some of the Midway ones

I won't list them specifically but basically:

... Art of Fighting / Fatal Fury / The King of Fighter series
... Killer Instinct series
... Last Blade series
... Mortal Kombat series
... Street Fighter series
... Samurai Shodown series
... others like X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom, SNK vs. Capcom.

Last edited by DamienD; 19 April 2009 at 21:28.
Old 19 April 2009, 21:45   #12
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
/me tries to grab that drive off the screen...
Meh, doesn't work

I really need some more space before I can start to get into MAME (too much other emulator/old game stuff already). At least I have the NeoGeo stuff which is rather okay for now
Lmfao, I remember as a kid, looking through amiga mags and saying "wouldnt it be cool if you could grab the stuff from the pages". Oh the joys of being young and having an imagination.

I use mame FX, only have the games, I remember playing in the arcades as a kid. Funny enough I was playing AfterBurner2, ChaseHQ, BubbleBobble just yesterday. Sort of went nuts on a mame rush.
Old 19 April 2009, 22:50   #13
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The newer Mame versions are slower (since 0.120?) with the new video core on my PC. I also noticed that the cheat.dat is still broken in Mame Plus. Was it maybe fixed in the last 1-2 month? Haven't tried the recent updates.
Old 19 April 2009, 23:36   #14
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

The only thing I don't like in MAME is that I've to update rom collections as many roms don't work when a new MAME version is released.

EDIT: and newer version of mame are slower, even with old games.
Old 19 April 2009, 23:55   #15
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
The newer Mame versions are slower (since 0.120?) with the new video core on my PC. I also noticed that the cheat.dat is still broken in Mame Plus. Was it maybe fixed in the last 1-2 month? Haven't tried the recent updates.
Cheat system has been overhauled.
You probably just need the XML collection for MAME 0.130u2 or newer.
http://cheat.retrogames.com/
Old 20 April 2009, 00:11   #16
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It works in Mame Plus, but only when i've create an extra "cheat" folder for the cheat.zip.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 20 April 2009 at 00:23.
Old 20 April 2009, 00:32   #17
frikilokooo

I love MAME a lot,my favorite emulation after Amiga but...Do you have all the roms!!??I have about 150 games,most of them known when was I a kid,a few discover recently.My best database is internet
Old 20 April 2009, 07:46   #18
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frikilokooo View Post
I love MAME a lot,my favorite emulation after Amiga but...Do you have all the roms!!??I have about 150 games,most of them known when was I a kid,a few discover recently.My best database is internet
Thats a collectors sickness, have everything and have it now
Be sure you would find more great games if you had all roms and maybe someday internet will collapse so you should get all roms just now!
Old 20 April 2009, 09:10   #19
exoticaga

It's gui is crap making simple tasks more complicated. It is slow as a slug even on a dual core os when checking collections with affinity set for single or both cores. I'l have to find a better developed alternative gui frontend that isn't coded by mame.
Old 20 April 2009, 10:32   #20
frikilokooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi View Post
...Be sure you would find more great games if you had all roms...
I think it's easier to find games on this site that having all games