English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 28 July 2006, 10:04   #1
StarEye
Zone Friend

Datormagazin in PDF (and some others)

This is one for the scandinavian amiga-fans.

Personally, the old classic swedish computer magazin Datormagazin (DMZ) has never been surpassed, and I have a cherished collection of them (although too old for my liking, most of them from the C64 era) tucked away in a box somewhere. Unfortunately, my cat back then (R.I.P) decided to pee all over stack of computer mags and ruined them all (a lot of Amiga Formats, CU Amiga, Datormagazin and other misc computer magazines.

Anyway, I just found a great site, with a small selection of this fantastic magazine in PDF format. Unless you know how to read (or at least understand) swedish, you won't get much out of it, but as it contained a lot of pictures and reviews and used the percentage system (it even had a page of the top ten review scores in each genre - I'm not sure when the started using that feature, but I'm sure it will be found in some of the pdfs.

You can also download pdfs of Amiga Format, CU Amiga and Amiga Shopper, as well as a couple of misc mags.

EDIT: my first download is finished, and it didn't work! My Adobe couldn't decrypt it! I hope to god it's just because I have an older version of Acrobat, so I'm downloading the latest version now.

Here's the link: http://amiga.treasureland.net/index.htm

EDIT 2: Good news! It was my Acrobat reader, updated to latest version and now it works! I have some reading to do, see you all later.

Last edited by StarEye; 28 July 2006 at 10:13.
Old 28 July 2006, 10:17   #2
SilentBob

Yeah, that's a nice site, been reading the old DMZ's there, since many of my old issues have gone missing over the years.
Old 28 July 2006, 14:38   #3
StarEye
Zone Friend

Did the site suddenly get hammered? A couple of hours ago, after I downloaded the first issue, I got a download speed at 5kb/s, but now after a long break, I got 40-50kb/s.

Funny thing is, it happened just after I wrote this post? Anyone wants to confess? Did a lot of people read this and start downloading?
Old 28 July 2006, 15:57   #4
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
Did the site suddenly get hammered? A couple of hours ago, after I downloaded the first issue, I got a download speed at 5kb/s, but now after a long break, I got 40-50kb/s.

Funny thing is, it happened just after I wrote this post? Anyone wants to confess? Did a lot of people read this and start downloading?
Errm... That could possibly have been me I got sooo excited because I've been looking EVERYWHERE for scans of DMz issues, so I downloaded them all... But this is MAJOR nostalgia for me! I used to read every issue over and over and OVER again but one day I foolishly decided to get rid of my entire collection. Do I miss them now? HELL YEAH So I truly hope more issues will come up in the future at this site! I can also vaguely recall a swedish magazine called Attack... I'd do anything to get my hands on a scan of the first issue!
Old 28 July 2006, 18:51   #5
StarEye
Zone Friend

Ah, I know how you feel. Unfortunately I've not found any other sites with scans of DMz, but I feel I can contribute to the site. I just got a fantastic multifunctional printer (Canon MP800R), and I intend to use it. I have a few issues of DMz, but most of them are from the C64/128 era. That is, pre-1990.
Old 28 July 2006, 19:19   #6
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Ah, I know how you feel. Unfortunately I've not found any other sites with scans of DMz, but I feel I can contribute to the site. I just got a fantastic multifunctional printer (Canon MP800R), and I intend to use it. I have a few issues of DMz, but most of them are from the C64/128 era. That is, pre-1990.
GREAT! I have some quite nostalgic memories of pre-1990 DMz's so I would love to get my hands on the ones you've got
Old 28 July 2006, 19:41   #7
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisken uno
GREAT! I have some quite nostalgic memories of pre-1990 DMz's so I would love to get my hands on the ones you've got
Seems I have a nice little bunch of pre-1990s and eight of the 1993 issues. I haven't counted the pre-1990s yet, but quite a few of them are folded A3 format (folded into A4). This could cause a problem for my scanning. I think I may be scanning the 1993 issues first... which I personally found to be the absolute golden years of DMz.

Anyway, sent a mail to ask if they needed some of my issues. I'm guessing it takes some work to make them into PDFs so they may have some of them already, getting ready to be put onto the site.

EDIT: I just realized that they released a DMz every two weeks back then. So they ended up with 22 issues a year or so. Ah... miss the days when the magazines were fun to read.
Old 29 July 2006, 01:51   #8
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Quote:
Seems I have a nice little bunch of pre-1990s and eight of the 1993 issues. I haven't counted the pre-1990s yet, but quite a few of them are folded A3 format (folded into A4). This could cause a problem for my scanning. I think I may be scanning the 1993 issues first... which I personally found to be the absolute golden years of DMz.

Anyway, sent a mail to ask if they needed some of my issues. I'm guessing it takes some work to make them into PDFs so they may have some of them already, getting ready to be put onto the site.

EDIT: I just realized that they released a DMz every two weeks back then. So they ended up with 22 issues a year or so. Ah... miss the days when the magazines were fun to read.
Yes yes, I remember the old DMz in the "newspaper format"... Not sure if it helps you but Photoshop does have a function to merge images i.e. you scan a page in two parts and then you let Photoshop merge them into a single page as they're supposed to be. A lot of extra work I know, but in my experience it works surprisingly well in most cases.

I'm sure the author of this wonderful site would appreciate some help. Must've been a hell of a lot of work scanning all those issues... But it sure has been wonderful looking through them all day today He really should consider using BitTorrent or eD2k as a distribution method though. That would solve the bandwidth problem

...and yes, 1993 was indeed a golden year for DMz