English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 December 2018, 04:04   #1
MartinW

What to do with an A600?

I've had an A600 sat on the shelf since I first got back into Amigas (2010 or so?). It's there because it's got a broken space bar, non working floppy and scratchy audio. I got a bit hacked off with it and then quickly got an A1200, A4000 and eventually built myself a GB-A1000 with 060 and RTG.

Here's the thing, with new keycaps coming out I could finally fix the space bar, the floppy drive was never insurmountable and also the scratchy audio just needs an IC replacing. It could all be spruced up quite nicely.

But as cute as an A600 is, it's only ECS and has no acceleration and I've already got an ECS machine that also happens to have RTG and 060 and I've got an A1200 for gaming with 030@40Mhz.

A while ago I was tempted to try and get a Vampire for it but not only are they a lot of money, my understanding is that I missed the boat on that and they are no longer out there?

What would you do? Not sure I want to get rid of it but it is just rotting away to itself really. Any cool projects out there for A600 that maybe I don't know about?
Old 13 December 2018, 06:17   #2
hth313

I would fix it as much as I desire and probably get rid of it. Sounds harsh but there are of course people out there which would be good owners of it and that do not own any real Amiga. You have several machines already, so you do not really need it.

The biggest benefit is its small size, and if you want it for your "museum" to show various Amiga models.

If you find it hard to get rid of it, upgrade it with a Vampire. If they are not available at the moment, they probably will be back at some point, or you will find another opportunity to get one down the road.

I had an A500 I donated for charity before I understood that I should start using Amiga again. Do I regret it now? Not so much, as I realize it would cost to get it up to speed again and I would hardly use it anyway. I also remember that all these funny additions made it less than rock solid. Big box Amigas were so much better for me.

I only have an A3000 now which I owned it since it was new. I am not looking to get a second one, there is no point for me. For me the future fun will be in Raspberry Pi, embedded devices and my A3000.
Old 13 December 2018, 15:34   #3
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
I was tempted to try and get a Vampire for it but not only are they a lot of money, my understanding is that I missed the boat on that and they are no longer out there?

A lot of money, yes, but they are still out there. A new batch will be coming out of the factory and going to the resellers within a few weeks. Vampire won't be going away anytime soon. I still think they're worth it and have thoroughly enjoyed mine.
Old 13 December 2018, 15:36   #4
MartinW

Are the existing ones eventually getting AGA or will that be limited to the new v4's when they hit? Apologies, I've not really been keeping up to date. I can understand if it's limited to the new v4's due to size constraints and stuff.
Old 14 December 2018, 00:19   #5
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Are the existing ones eventually getting AGA

Yes. An Alpha version of GOLD 3 core which contains AGA has been released to the public for testing purposes. It's the intention of the Apollo Team to release AGA for all Vampire products.
Old 14 December 2018, 17:36   #6
MartinW

It's becoming very tempting to get it fixed up with a Vampire you know. Assuming AGA comes along I could see it replacing my A1200 due to the compact size. Then if I ultimately decide not to keep it then it should be fairly easy to move on.
Old 14 December 2018, 17:40   #7
mjnurney

best thing to do with a 600 ?

flame thrower ??

:-)
Old 14 December 2018, 17:55   #8
MartinW

What, no love for the little thing?

I thought it had gained huge popularity since the Vampire came along. I am aware how polarising views of the Vampire are mind you. I have plenty of original hardware (and have had), so I'm open to the concept of something that isn't as well.
Old 14 December 2018, 18:07   #9
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
It's becoming very tempting to get it fixed up with a Vampire you know. Assuming AGA comes along I could see it replacing my A1200 due to the compact size. Then if I ultimately decide not to keep it then it should be fairly easy to move on.
Do not get a Vampire now expecting that it will do AGA properly. Yes, there is a test firmware out now but it is far from perfect and while they are improving it, there are no guarantees that it will ever be polished enough to be a proper replacement for an A1200 build if you want to use it for AGA games.

I have a Vampire for my 600 and I like it - it makes it a very nice little machine with lots of grunt. That being said, the A500 version performs a bit better since its IDE controller is more than 3x as fast as the one in A600.

It also sounds to me like you're probably better off selling off that A600 since you're already well covered with other machines so an A600 can probably not provide you with much more.
Old 14 December 2018, 18:13   #10
MartinW

Good to know, thank you, I will be cautious.

Such a shame the Vampire wasn't about when I started my GBA. I probably would have gone the Vampire route and had a cute little machine. Don't get me wrong the main build of the GBA was overall good fun but more than just a little frustrating at times and in the end, a very expensive big-box Amiga by the time I added the RTG and Accelerator.

Now though there's little point in building another ECS machine unless, of course I want something portable(ish)