English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 10 March 2010, 17:42   #1
mancalledSun

Potentially stupid question RE: GAAE "desktop"

Have just set up CW-GAAE on 2.1 and ready to start copying over WHDload packs.

I'd like to tweak it a bit and remove/hide some of the elements that I won't use/don't need. (By the way, it's a great little package).

For example:

The Games, Demos and Temp folders on the Workbench desktop. I don't want these here, if I delete them, are they gone forever (I don't want that) or am I safe to move them elsewhere?

What defines the directory location path for the "Desktop"? I suppose I'm really asking, are these items somewhere else already (think Windows!)?

Likewise, if I don't want something in the WBStartup, I gather I should move it elsewhere rather than delete it.

I'll get there in the end, it really has been a while! Working backwards with these ready made packs is tougher than starting from scratch and learning as I go!

Old 10 March 2010, 18:11   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancalledSun View Post
Have just set up CW-GAAE on 2.1 and ready to start copying over WHDload packs.

I'd like to tweak it a bit and remove/hide some of the elements that I won't use/don't need. (By the way, it's a great little package).

For example:

The Games, Demos and Temp folders on the Workbench desktop. I don't want these here, if I delete them, are they gone forever (I don't want that) or am I safe to move them elsewhere?

What defines the directory location path for the "Desktop"? I suppose I'm really asking, are these items somewhere else already (think Windows!)?

Likewise, if I don't want something in the WBStartup, I gather I should move it elsewhere rather than delete it.

I'll get there in the end, it really has been a while! Working backwards with these ready made packs is tougher than starting from scratch and learning as I go!
Hi Mate,

If you right click on the file and chose 'Icon' and 'put away' they will no longer show up on the desktop and will be in their original places. I think these are all in the sys: partition.

If you want an icon to be on your desktop then go to that icon and choose 'icon' and 'leave out'

Steve.
Old 10 March 2010, 20:04   #3
Bloodwych

Quote:
Under "Settings" (right click menu or bottom left Run menu) you'll find links to enable or disable all the WBStartup items. These options will move the file from WBStartup to Storage/WBStartup in most cases.

Fitzsteve mentions how to handle desktop items. There isn't a desktop folder like in windows that holds links; Workbench simply keeps a list of icons to "Leave out" in a text file, stored in the location "DH0:.backdrop"
Old 10 March 2010, 20:20   #4
steve_uktv

ermmm

ermmmm please just enlighten an amiga novice please GAAE???
Old 10 March 2010, 20:22   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_uktv View Post
ermmmm please just enlighten an amiga novice please GAAE???
http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/gaae.htm
Old 10 March 2010, 20:27   #6
steve_uktv

cool...like it ...is there a version for workbench 3.1 with 4 meg expanded ram ?
Old 10 March 2010, 20:29   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
cool...like it ...is there a version for workbench 3.1 with 4 meg expanded ram ?
Yes, of course!
http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/adv.htm
Old 10 March 2010, 20:32   #8
steve_uktv

excellent thanx a million
Old 10 March 2010, 21:33   #9
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

With only 4mb fast ram you might find the full and advanced versions a little heavy on ram usage the lite version is worth a look.

The advanced version is very pretty though with its excellent icon pack.

Steve.
Old 11 March 2010, 07:49   #10
mancalledSun

@Bloodwych/fitzsteve

Thanks - that all makes sense.

The Mig should be back together again soon. Just a couple more Retr0Bright applications on the keys to go (I'll show you the before/after shots soon).

Old 11 March 2010, 09:53   #11
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
@Bloodwych/fitzsteve

Thanks - that all makes sense.

The Mig should be back together again soon. Just a couple more Retr0Bright applications on the keys to go (I'll show you the before/after shots soon).
Look foward to seeing the comparison, I had a really yellow keyboard I was going to do but it went with an A1200 I sold, sorry ck1200

Quote:
excellent thanx a million
What i'd suggest to do is to try all the CWB packs, lite, full, adv on WinUAE and then all you need to do is copy the files to your CF/HDD in Winuae to install and its easy to try them all out and see which you like most

ADV SP used to be my CWB of choice, but now i'm using the ADV pack and love the speed...

Steve.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 11 March 2010 at 12:12.
Old 11 March 2010, 11:10   #12
mancalledSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Look foward to seeing the comparison, I had a really yellow keyboard I was going to do but it went with an A1200 I sold, sorry ck1200

What i'd suggest to do is to try all the CWB packs, lite, full, adv on WinUAE and then all you need to do is copy the files to your CF/HDD in Winuae to install and its easy to try them all out and see which you like most

ADV SP used to be my CWB of choice, but now i'm using the ADV pack and love the speed...

Steve.
Thanks Steve, but as I'm only running 2.1, is there really any point?!

Old 11 March 2010, 12:10   #13
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Thanks Steve, but as I'm only running 2.1, is there really any point?!

Oh sorry I mistook you for the guy asking about the CWB packs for his A1200. I'll edit my orginal post to make more sense...

You're right to stick with GAAE

My bad, I should read posts properly!