English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 May 2019, 10:09   #41
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Vegetarian cooking 2 days a week - Current project, "perfect" houmous..
Nice! I'm working on doing Falafel from the oven.
Old 17 May 2019, 10:56   #42
toples50

Collecting Apple Mac's.I have over 80 computers at the moment.
Old 17 May 2019, 11:00   #43
chip

80 ?
Old 17 May 2019, 13:18   #44
MartinW

I really struggle these days for motivation to do anything beyond go to work, come home, rinse and repeat

In the past I was massively into Arcade game repair and have about 5 crates of game circuit boards up in the loft, not to mention a large workbench with all the tools and kit to keep it all going. Only have 3 physical machines and 2 pinballs left now and even they only get switched on maybe 2 or 3 times a year. All a bit of a waste of space now.

In pursuit of trying to find some other interest I've been into RC cars, RC Heli's (that was a money pit!) and RC Planes.

Like someone earlier in the thread I also now have a 3D printer but that's an exercise in frustration.

I'm still waiting for this second wind of creativity that they seem to have decided hits people in their 50's. I can only hope!!
Old 17 May 2019, 17:16   #45
robinsonb5

For me the other interests are coding, electronics, photography, music (specifically acoustic guitar - I currently have eight, five of which are permanently in non-standard tunings) and just recently dipping a toe in guitar-building waters.
Old 18 May 2019, 21:45   #46
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
I'm still waiting for this second wind of creativity that they seem to have decided hits people in their 50's. I can only hope!!

Know exactly how you feel, my attention span is so short i get worried sometimes, i can lose interest in a game in minutes, pretty much the same with films etc, if im like this now, god knows what'll happen in my 60s
Old 19 May 2019, 02:06   #47
MartinW

Ah, 60’s and 70’s (if we get that far!) will be fine. Well have lost the plot completely and be happy in our own little worlds. “Pumping up our inflatable palm trees in the Bahamas” as an old friend used to say (don’t ask!)

Shouldn’t joke about these things but at the end of the day what else can you do
Old 21 May 2019, 10:44   #48
jack-3d
kLiker

Guns: dynamic shooting (IPSC, LOS) and static long range shooting.
Old 11 July 2019, 16:52   #49
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Nice! I'm working on doing Falafel from the oven.
My fried ones taste more like glue balls than nutty goodness
Got slightly better result when I let the chickpeas sit during the night, changed water and then and then "peeled" the soft shell.
Old 11 July 2019, 16:59   #50
roondar

My other interests include my cats, photography, gaming, mucking about with making YouTube videos and my website.

I do also like to cook (and used to love to bake cookies and cake), but rarely actually take the time to do it these days.
Old 11 July 2019, 17:04   #51
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
My fried ones taste more like glue balls than nutty goodness
Got slightly better result when I let the chickpeas sit during the night, changed water and then and then "peeled" the soft shell.
Sounds familiar. The trick for good Falafel is to use dried chickpeas (which you then have to soak overnight); if you take the chickpeas from a can, they're usually already cooked. Then you get the glue balls you describe.
Old 11 July 2019, 18:24   #52
DofD

For me, with what time there is outside of work and house chores/maintenance, I try to spend time with my family. My daughter is 13 and I want to spend time with her before she doesn't want to hang around with "the parents". Then there is the martial arts I do, competitive outdoor/beach volleyball
Old 11 July 2019, 18:33   #53
Amigajay

Retro gaming in general is my main hobby of course, but i love sport, getting a bit past it playing much nowadays, but i love to watch football, tennis, golf, F1, snooker, even watched some cricket this year! Go to the odd football game too.

Funny how things interest you more when you get older, i find myself more into travel documentaries and anything to do ancient Egypt, though my wife is scared of flying, so unless i win the lottery (which i don't play) visits to these places wont be happening!

My cocker spaniel needs lots of attention and playtime so i’m always playing with him, although he knackers me out chasing him round the garden, and i realise i’m not 20 anymore even though my brain tells me just 5 more mins!

I guess films is another thing i like, although i don’t go mental buying everything unless i really like it, the main films i buy are Jackie Chan/kung-fu films from the 70s-90s, anything with a green screen doesn’t get a look in!
Old 11 July 2019, 19:42   #54
nogginthenog
Amigan

3D printer came in handy yesterday for once.

My phone died so I needed to put my sim in an backup phone. Problem is my old phone uses the bigger sims.
Printed an adapter and it works great. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2268283
Old 11 July 2019, 21:28   #55
zipper

My last hobby is genealogy, in one year I've gathered 7800 ancestors and relatives and some not so relatives, too. Found one serial killer, knife-fighters and Cudgel War commander...well, pretty interesting!
Old 11 July 2019, 22:22   #56
Steve
Truth seeker...

My other interests include (but are not limited to): 3D software development using OpenGL, Reading (got too many books and not enough time to read), Conspiracy theories (1000+ hours research into everything from 9/11 to UFO's and Bigfoot to vaccines/health etc), research into world history, watching movies, spending time with my six year old, watching football, painting miniature figures. Wish I could add playing electric guitar to that list but unfortunately it sits lazily in the corner - I just can't find the time. I'm lucky to fit a couple of these in per day. Usually its reading and spending time with the family.

EDIT: I forgot my ALL-TIME number one favourite past time: P R O C R A S T I N A T I N G!

Last edited by Steve; 12 July 2019 at 15:06.
Old 12 July 2019, 07:20   #57
studio460

Where should I start???

Cinematography:

My car:

Shooting pretty girls:

N-scale model trains:

Synthesizers:

Old 28 July 2019, 19:38   #58
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
I really struggle these days for motivation to do anything beyond go to work, come home, rinse and repeat

In the past I was massively into Arcade game repair and have about 5 crates of game circuit boards up in the loft, not to mention a large workbench with all the tools and kit to keep it all going. Only have 3 physical machines and 2 pinballs left now and even they only get switched on maybe 2 or 3 times a year. All a bit of a waste of space now.

In pursuit of trying to find some other interest I've been into RC cars, RC Heli's (that was a money pit!) and RC Planes.

Like someone earlier in the thread I also now have a 3D printer but that's an exercise in frustration.

My thing is, don't wait for "motivation"..go with inspiration instead. If you go with motivation mostly you'll have a lot of those times you described. Inspiration from interests and desires is how I keep myself going. I've watched many "older people" (I don't consider myself that at all even at 52) when I was in my 20's to 40's rely very much on motivation and then they wither and become "old".

Personally, I'd love to own some arcade machines but the prices are too high. I remember in the 80's and 90's wanting to own some, so now I look for them in places that have arcades. Small rooms, doesn't matter...I still look. Some teens or younger look at me with excitement because I still get into them with the same enthusiasm as before. Forever Young is a very misleading statement - and doesn't at all have anything to do with the body but rather a lifestyle of ways of thinking. I saw "Big" with Tom Hanks and I got it...totally, never "grow old"...and you'll be inspired so often..and I am.

Since you have some pinball games there, do you have Aliens? From the original movie? I think that's the one I'm remembering. I got really great at it and was able to "Pop" credits pretty easily. I think it was called Aliens...it has been years.. I just remembering being able to get free credits fairly easily once I discovered how and thus could play the game for over 2 hours. I haven't found that Pinball game since.

I think none of it is a waste of space because they had meaning in your mind. Still do. Perhaps not enough people come over to share in playing? 2nd wind?? Hmm...I've heard of that but I don't "believe" in it. Sometimes inspiration can come from self motivation - power on an arcade game..and think of it differently...as you used to for a bit. Challenge your personal high score...but do it not for the score but the game play.

The Amiga has been a great arcade machine, even the Next Gen machines, but sometimes you just gotta go visit public places and enjoy with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Where should I start???

Cinematography:

My car:

Shooting pretty girls:

N-scale model trains:

Synthesizers:
Fantastic!!
Old 28 July 2019, 20:37   #59
AC/DC HACKER!

My interests outside of Amiga computers... Hmm..

One of my several interests was developed by friends asking me questions. Most of my life has been being able to sense Ghosts, and tap into energy that most people don't see. Either because of being told not possible, or they should face reality. Often times, Church scared people from being able to do stuff. My Mother was never that way..she encouraged exploration and remembering. Reincarnation has been a discussion through most of my life - people would talk to each other loosely about it, or really get into it. Often with vague responses because they didn't really consider it often..and how they were told not to think about it (it's a "bad" thing...and not possible) but when someone met another that was interested, they thrill in discussing things they quietly knew.

I was part of many discussions and offering details they'd not thought of, or agreed with but not sure how. Or...why? I also loved probing questions. Which would lead into people becoming angry or upset with Church folks because they'd ask THEM questions but wouldn't get any kind of satisfying answers. So, I posed many questions which defeated, debunked, and defied Church stuff. Most people really got into them...and then they'd let out their own. If I didn't know something, I'd use deduction and intuition to find it..which often led to books and inner images coming to me.

So, over 35 years...I've been researcher of the roots of Religions. I started typing a lot of stuff with Final Writer, I really loved that word processor..and that I could do that AND fully multi-task while other stuff was happening. Anyway...I found all the answers I sought after..and I shared them with friends..and they were delighted. "How?? Where?? WOW, that's awesome!" and as other friends and acquaintances came in and left, or some remained..I shared stuff.

Magic is pretty cool and it's based on what we call "lies" and "deception" more than "truth". I got into Magic pretty heavily, after Pagan/Wicca ways.. Ohhh...that was educational!! I also got into some other really cool religions (none organized) and explorations of the past...were leading to answer all the much deeper questions I had...for others. Understand, from age 1 to 5 to 7 to now...I completely reject a Devil and a Singular Punishing Deity...for one planet in a grand Cosmos and for the people on it. Hmm, seems pretty petty. My words and actions are of my own choices, as they are of everyone else. The "God vs Devil" war Church preaches has so many holes in it, I started realizing I was laughing every time it was spoken about.. I found the very root of how all of that stuff was started. I've shared these findings with others, and many appreciate and explore for themselves while others reject. Isn't that the case though?
Magic was a thrill to just enjoy for a bit, but since I'm always open to possibilities of getting answers and being playful, I just enjoyed and took in a lot of stuff. Then, I noticed..patterns. The slight of hand.. The ways in which words were used, and suggestions. Which helped to crack all the Church lingo, the manipulation tactics, and much more. Which helped further even more delightful conversations for helping people free themselves. All while remaining a free thinking non-athiest keeping awareness being a Spirit having another physical experience.

R/C Cars and Helis.. Now, also a Drone. All are great fun.

Worked at a Cable Head-End, doing Amiga repairs to the Preview guide. I've also been involved with Amiga sales, years ago.

I adore Photography, and enjoying the moments to get great shots.

The Amiga 4000 was very helpful in getting past dyslexia.. BBSes.. I was finally able to start reading without going to sleep 30 seconds after doing so with a book. Refresh rates of monitors were a huge help to me.

Learning how to crack didn't require understanding how to program....that much.

I'm very much into animals. At times, helping people understand their 4-legged friends beyond what they already know. Helping people get outside of their own heads, and actually learn how their friends are communicating. Usually gets some pretty big "Ohhh's!". Haha.

I adore helping people in different situations. From Amiga 1000's to how to hold a cell phone in landscape to get a widescreen shot vs the thin thing you see people doing so often.

I met all the makers of the Amiga models, except Jay Miner (Wwwaaaa!). Those were fantastic times, just as today is also. The Amiga philosophy is a great one. We might still be a small base but just as Rush was a great music band, they had a loyal gathering and influenced many artists in different ways. Amiga machines have remained pretty steady in my life. The OS is fantastic, and I'm loving the development of bug fixes for so-called classic.

Salute.

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 28 July 2019 at 22:37.
Old 03 August 2019, 13:46   #60
E-Penguin
Banana

Amigas, obviously, along with family and cats. I've just taken up the ukulele in order to teach my son who dreams of being a rock superstar palaeontologist.

Mostly work though at the moment, getting ready to finally get my spacecraft into space early next year. I love space stuff so it's kind of a well paying hobby!