English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 12 August 2019, 00:38   #21
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
"Badly Born" is a very funny mistranlation from spanish, I must say.
Yeah, I got a good laugh out of that as well.

Edit: Indie Retro News has edited the post I made. I expected it to be deleted, but they have no right to put words in my mouth.

Last edited by Hewitson; 12 August 2019 at 01:56.
Old 12 August 2019, 02:48   #22
LongLifeA1200

Plagiarism is always difficult to defend. It's not tolerated in any field of creativity.

The options are always the same;
  • either get permission,
  • get the rights,
  • modify* (*enough).
  • or independently create original work.
Old 12 August 2019, 03:15   #23
Hewitson

I wouldn't have a problem with the ripped graphics if it was a PD game. But you can't use ripped graphics and then sell the game for profit. That's making money off someone elses work.
Old 12 August 2019, 03:42   #24
rare_j
Zone Friend

I also think it is ok to use ripped graphics to produce a pastiche, or a tribute to the original work. Like if you're doing a remix, or a parody of someone else's work. For fun.

Not for profit though. Then it just becomes grubby.
Old 12 August 2019, 03:52   #25
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I wouldn't mind even if he looked at other graphics to help him draw stuff, if he has difficulty to do it.

But when its OBVIOUSLY ripped from everywhere it's really bad.

[ Show youtube player ]

I made this. I begun drawing the ninja looking at Kung-Fu Master sprites (Arcade, NES and MSX versions) to try to get what I wanted. Then a friend of mine touched what I had done and made it a lot better adding some small detail and some corrections on the animations.

I think you can see how "inspired" by the Kung Fu Master sprites it is, yet it's really different enough to be its own thing.
Old 12 August 2019, 09:01   #26
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

I can't understand why he is doing exactly the same stupid thing again.
Old 12 August 2019, 09:53   #27
DancingWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Yeah, I got a good laugh out of that as well.

Edit: Indie Retro News has edited the post I made. I expected it to be deleted, but they have no right to put words in my mouth.

Not to be picky, but my post title on here was also edited by someone else.
I can see why though but still..

Anyway I agree that trying to charge money for something like this is taking advantage of The Amiga fanbase. But then i'm of the opinion that a lot of todays amiga game releases are a bit too expensive for what they are.

Digressing but, I'm not going to buy a (good) amiga game for £30 digital only, or more for a boxed game. I understand it's a small market of dedicated followers. I'm also a bit of a skinflint, But I just got doom (2016) for £4. Anyway that's just me.

You'd have to pay me to play ninjferatu (£59.99 direct to my account thanks).
Old 12 August 2019, 10:24   #28
Amigajay

As much as this guy seems a jerk, esp with his reaction to the EAB competition, i don’t think we should continue to entertain his activities which only bring more attention to his work and sales, piracy and assets will always be used for Amiga games if people like it or not, this guy will continue to do so, so best to just ignore and not post news story's of his releases, if anything it brings bad vibes and brings down EAB as a reputable forum site, we don’t want to head down the Atari Age Jaguar or Neo-Geo.com forums of pure hatred towards our platforms.
Old 12 August 2019, 11:37   #29
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
As much as this guy seems a jerk, esp with his reaction to the EAB competition,
I think you are mixing up Amiten and Jojo, don't you?

Old 12 August 2019, 12:18   #30
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post

Whoops, yes you are correct.
Old 12 August 2019, 13:14   #31
kikems

Quote:
I wouldn't have a problem with the ripped graphics if it was a PD game...
If I remember correctly, cocobana would be """free""" if Amiten obtain € 500 from donations.After reach this 500€, Cocobanana never release as free, released as a commercial game for 29 €.

Now he says that the ninjaferatu will be free PD, but the truth is that I no longer believe anything.

For me it is another scam to get money taking advantage of the enthusiasm of Amiga fans
Old 12 August 2019, 13:36   #32
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post

To be honest they are interchangeable in my book.

I commented on this Amiten Game and got accused of being a troll - which is fine.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2019/0...nces.html#more

I don't like JoJo or Amiten for different reasons, the former is mainly naive while the latter is just stupid and offensive. Neither of them are looking to improve the Amiga scene with their productions. I want productions to get back to the way they were, stretching stock Amiga's to the limits with nice playable games.

And the games can be written in any language they like, it makes no difference, the rule is just don't make unplayable, poor games and pass them off as commercial titles when the quality is not there - it just won't do.

Geezer
Old 12 August 2019, 14:05   #33
Hewitson

mcgeezer I have just seen your comment and added one of my own

No doubt it will be edited before you read it.

Edit: I just found this compilation of Amiten games, some of which I have not seen before. Even his version is Space "Invarders" is shit, it doesn't even display the score on the screen!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 12 August 2019, 14:39   #34
mcgeezer

Quote:

Edit: I just found this compilation of Amiten games, some of which I have not seen before. Even his version is Space "Invarders" is shit, it doesn't even display the score on the screen!

[ Show youtube player ]
Well I did ask a genuine question and just got abuse hurled at me.

I guess it's just the way they roll.

Now, where's my beer.
Old 12 August 2019, 14:44   #35
E-Penguin
Banana

I don't mind the shit games; I write shit games and I guess everyone's first few attempts are pretty sub-standard compared to amazing efforts like mcgeezer's. Gotta start somewhere though, right?

Charging money for rubbish and blatantly ripping stuff off is a different matter.
Old 12 August 2019, 16:15   #36
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Charging money for rubbish and blatantly ripping stuff off is a different matter.
You know what? It's not even the charging money for rubbish.

It's trying to fool people saying you've done things you didn't. That Twitter picture where he's showing sketch drawings he "did it himself" for Coco Banana intro when he OBVIOSULY ripped that from somewhere else was really very very low.

It's getting the engine made by someone else, just change some graphics and say he coded the thing.

It's asking donations to make a game for free, get the amount asked and then sell the game anyway.

It's the obnoxious behaviour, over-promoting stuff that, like has been said, looks like done by a 5 years kid, or plastering his name everywhere on his games. He has no self-consciousness about the things he does, it's like he really believes his games are amazing pieces of Amiga software. There's a huge difference when you do a simple and/or rubbish game and YOU KNOW IT.

It's the attempt to sell demos of incomplete things and then move on to do new stuff while not finishing what HE PREVIOUSLY ASKED FOR MONEY to finish.

It's trying to get credit for stuff he didn't do and, when exposed, just delete everything instead of get responsibility for his actions.

It's resorting to blame everyone else and inventing excuses when criticized, instead of taking them as an adult. (It was really amazing seeing him trying to pass bugs of his games as features)

-

I wouldn't mind him making a rubbish game and try to sell it. I mean, Electronic Arts has been doing it for years now and no one complains about it ( ). We could just ignore and not buy his rubbish, or even buy to support it and hope he gets better.

But that's not the main problem. He is a huge box of problems and a huge, ugly stain on Amiga scene. He is the kind of guy who make people from general retrocomputing scene frown upon the specific Amiga scene and I really , *REALLY* think people had to just let him go, forget about him, not give him any more exposition t all. Unfortunately, for some weird reason, we keep celebrating the rubbish.
Old 12 August 2019, 18:14   #37
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingWolf View Post
Not to be picky, but my post title on here was also edited by someone else.
I can see why though but still..
That was me, I added the 2nd part of the title.

I can change it back if you prefer?
Old 12 August 2019, 18:27   #38
kikems

Quote:

[ Show youtube player ]

This brings back memories of when we catch it with the ripped graphics of the game Last Star Fighter. The same history, Amiten say that he paint pixel by pixel the graphics and present the game to the AmiGameJam 2016. Of course the graphics are stolen again.

I´d take this photos some time before, from Amiten youtube channel.

Pictures "Credits01 and Credits02" from the Last Start Fighter in the AmiGameJam2016.
Picture "painting_pixelbypixel" extracted from an Amiten video where he try to show how he use Dpaint por paint "pixel by pixel" artworks of game Last Start Fighter.

Here the original sprite sheet used for the game.

https://cdn.tutsplus.com/active/uplo...p3/sprites.png

Here links from the original author of graphics, a tutorial in #C of how to program a shot'em up game.

https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/...--active-11108

Of course, after this "ripper busted" Amiten never return the 2º prize of AmiGameJam 2016.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Credits01.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	64078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Credits02.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	64079   Click image for larger version

Name:	painting_pixelbypixel.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	64080  
Old 12 August 2019, 18:34   #39
mcgeezer

I thought I'd brighten this thread up a little bit and move the moon for all the fine people here at the EAB.

[ Show youtube player ]

Nothing like a bit of button moon.
Old 12 August 2019, 18:43   #40
DamienD
Global Moderator

Predseda and Per-Ola Eriksson; I just wanted to apologise for my posts directed at you guys yesterday.

I'm sorry; there was no need for it.

Given all the stuff that has occurred with this Amiten looser, I just get sooooo wound up, my blood boils and then react; not always in the best way...

I tried to ignore the thread and not comment; but yesterday I'd had a few afternoon drink so... no excuses though.

Anyway, really sorry again.