English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 July 2017, 14:06   #21
voyager
The show must go on.

Send a message via MSN to voyager
You can also take a peak at the ODROID-XU4 it has a Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex @ 2 GHz
There are no reports of it doing any better but is has a lot more grunt then the pi3.

The stutters in the sota demo always occurs with the color gradient background, what is the amiga doing thats so hard for the emulators?
Old 18 July 2017, 15:33   #22
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
The stutters in the sota demo always occurs with the color gradient background, what is the amiga doing thats so hard for the emulators?
I can't answer for definite, but I suspect it's doing a lot of copper manipulation to produce the gradients. These have to be cycle-exact and 100% synchronised with the chip RAM and custom chips, while the emulated CPU works away in parallel. That is a pretty hefty workload for an emulator to do correctly - many things have to be calculated and moved around per emulated clock cycle.
Old 18 July 2017, 16:53   #23
Akira

Yeah the thing is here, that for the PRICE, the Pi3 is VERY good at what it does.
If you get another board, probably more powerful, there's the issue that the executables for Pi will probably just not work, so if there's no Amiga emulator done for those specifically, then it's as good as nothing.
And if the board is meant to run Android, Android is not as slim as a plain Linux so performance might be hit too.

Just having more power doesn't mean the program will perform better. It has to be optimized to run better on better hardware.
UAE4ARM is based on code for the Pandora, not from the ground-up for rPi, so that is also a thing, there might be a lot of drag there that could be trimmed down.

I think that with time, both a more optimized and polished UAE4ARM and newer, faster rPis will be a reality, and Amiga emulation on the platform will be really good.
Old 18 July 2017, 19:15   #24
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcina View Post
Hello,
my Amiga went to silicon heaven :-(
I tried to find another A1200 in working state, but they are expensive (+ postage of course)
Fix it - Czech is full of creative and skilled people and such repair is nothing unusual nowadays (people fixing smartphones or more challenging due modern component sizes equipment).

Worse case scenario - search someone in Poland - worst case scenario in 2 months i should have accommodation condition's which allow me to do such things.
Old 20 July 2017, 15:21   #25
EugeneNine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Yeah the thing is here, that for the PRICE, the Pi3 is VERY good at what it does.
If you get another board, probably more powerful, there's the issue that the executables for Pi will probably just not work, so if there's no Amiga emulator done for those specifically,
Its pretty simple to download the source and ./configure && make on a different linux distro. I run Slackware on all my Pi's and do it all the time.
Old 20 July 2017, 15:32   #26
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneNine View Post
Its pretty simple to download the source and ./configure && make on a different linux distro. I run Slackware on all my Pi's and do it all the time.
SLACKWARE FTW! Praise "BOB"!

ehem, yeah. finally got a Pi3 with RetroPie Haven't setup the Amiga on it yet but will sometime within the next few weeks. I'll report back here with my experiences. Definitely happy I went for the RPie instead of the Armiga.

Just want to keep the games off my real Amiga and on a TV others can use without touching my miggy.

So far I'm impressed with the Pi3/retroPie combo. It runs some of the more intense emulators pretty well like the PSP and the N64 although there are definitely a collection of games that are unplayable, for the most part, the ones that are playable are really playable and enjoyable. So I'm pretty excited to give UAE4ALL a go on this thing. Just waiting on a large SD card to get here.
Old 20 July 2017, 16:45   #27
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneNine View Post
Some people don't want to mess with any of that.

Sinphaltimus: it does PSP too? I must have an old version of it all, gotta upgrade.
Old 20 July 2017, 16:52   #28
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post

Sinphaltimus: it does PSP too? I must have an old version of it all, gotta upgrade.
Yep - I still have my PSP, and files I made when I was involved with that modding scene (Sinphaltimus on PSPMod).

For the most part many games do work, just not the heavy 3D graphics games (they work but super slow). Of the games I have working - some of those get a black screen during cutscenes but I just hit X or Select to end the cut scene and get back to the game. A bunch of the games work perfectly but I only have room for like 6 of them, I ordered a larger SD card so waiting to test more.
Old 20 July 2017, 17:26   #29
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
A bunch of the games work perfectly but I only have room for like 6 of them, I ordered a larger SD card so waiting to test more.
Have you tried converted PSX games too? As PSP EBOOTs.
Old 25 July 2017, 14:22   #30
DaveDoc1984

I personally would try and get the A1200 up and running. I have used a Pi 3 with UAE4ARM and whilst a lot of stuff worked fine, it doesn't feel quite the same as playing the game on a real Amiga.

What is actually up with your A1200? Totally dead or Coloured Screen?
Old 27 July 2017, 11:53   #31
wlcina

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDoc1984 View Post
I personally would try and get the A1200 up and running. I have used a Pi 3 with UAE4ARM and whilst a lot of stuff worked fine, it doesn't feel quite the same as playing the game on a real Amiga.

What is actually up with your A1200? Totally dead or Coloured Screen?
Cant turn it on at all, used 2 different PSU (my one, and friend lent me one just for tryout). I will pack it in meantime later on I will try to send it for repairs, but I think my Amiga will require complete repairs (also some keys did not work etc), I used joystick and mouse most of time, so it did not bother me before.
Old 31 July 2017, 16:47   #32
DaveDoc1984

Let us know if you end up wanting to sell it as spares wlcina
Old 31 July 2017, 17:49   #33
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Please, try to repair your A1200. The sooner the better. If it is, indeed, capacitor damage, time is an issue. Please, try to fix you Amiga. It's not dead yet, it's just in a coma. Don't give up on it.