English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 May 2010, 12:01   #41
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie View Post
2 GB RAM is good..... however, as we all know, the Amiga A500 was able todo things with 1MB that required a PC of FAR higher requirements todo adequately. Pinball Dreams? ran on a bog standard 512kB A500..... and VERY playable. It took the PC a 486DX33 to reach the same playability level. without sound.
Pinball Dreams on the PC really was a piece of crap, unlike Pinball Fantasies that ran fine on a 286 with sound (and looked way better than the A500-version).

Quote:
My only concern is whether or not the CPU is "good enough" by todays standards. However, the A1200 with 4MB FAST could do things that a 486DX2-50 was still struggling with.... even FPS-games of the Doom-style was possible. However, this was one area where the PC was considered "better" because of the chunky pixel gfx it "always" had, which had to be translated to planar format for the Amigas.
Yes, but now we live in 2010, and the amiga-hardware isn't really any different from the PC-hardware these days, the only difference being the CPU. So don't expect anything mindblowing on the new Amigas compared to what's been done on the PC already 5-10 years ago And seriously, you wouldn't play Doom on a plain A1200 with 4MB Fast...

Quote:
But still.... We could do far more with a underpowered Amiga in 1992, than anyone could with a PC.
18 years ago...
Old 05 June 2010, 01:49   #42
Zyphon

Congrats Amigakit, you fully deserve to be primary channel distributor for helping to keep the Amiga community alive with your spares and new accessories, I am going to purchase the memory card pcmcia with EasyPDF I have seen it in action and I am impressed.

I for one will be saving up for the X1000, as an Amiga fan of old, it is great to hear we are finally getting a new Amiga on the scenes I just hope it lives up to the hype and there are decent software released for it on launch as this can make or break a system.
Old 08 June 2010, 23:13   #43
amigaflex

i think its strange they waited for a recession to bring out old hardware which is just an apple with an amiga name.

very strange retarded company just as bad as commodores stupid business sense.

nobody will pay 1grand for an old bit of rubbish surely ,ohh hang on theres always 1.

but not me.

cant wait to see sales figures,and with a wopping 20 percent vat lol.

next.

Old 09 June 2010, 02:13   #44
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigaflex View Post
i think its strange they waited for a recession to bring out old hardware which is just an apple with an amiga name.

very strange retarded company just as bad as commodores stupid business sense.

nobody will pay 1grand for an old bit of rubbish surely ,ohh hang on theres always 1.

but not me.

cant wait to see sales figures,and with a wopping 20 percent vat lol.

next.
Hmmmm, First post and what a way to start.
You obvisouly know nothing about it and choose to spread rumours.

Besides, why are you posting in this thread?
We are not A-EON, go ask them.

Last edited by FOL; 09 June 2010 at 10:13.
Old 09 June 2010, 16:14   #45
radon_22

Some Amiga people never grew out of their BBS flamer years.

Things like iPads, ChromeOS, underpowered Atom processors and SnapDragon netbooks indicate that there's still a market for things that aren't the most powerful or latest tech. Not that I'm comparing A-EON's product to any of those, as it's going to be much more of a niche product. But I do sincerely wish them well. Thus far, the've done me no harm nor promised to have the performance of a supercomputer for $200.

Moving the "Amiga way" forward has always had the "chicken and egg" problem- New software had no new hardware had no new software had no new hardware ad infinitum. I certainly don't hold it against companies like A-EON for trying to work beyond this.
Old 10 June 2010, 13:09   #46
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by radon_22 View Post
Things like iPads, ChromeOS, underpowered Atom processors and SnapDragon netbooks indicate that there's still a market for things that aren't the most powerful or latest tech.
I agree.

Too many looks black and white on this. If price per performance is what your looking for, what are you doing by looking at non-mainstream computers for? Niche will always be more money for less, but when you look past the mips and onto the experience - that is what one want to account for.

Thats why people buy say an iPad - the experience is so good that it doesn't matter that a similar priced laptop is faster. Or a android or iOS-phone at the total cost of ownership in the cheap c2d laptop range.

Last edited by moijk; 10 June 2010 at 13:16.
Old 11 June 2010, 01:09   #47
amigaflex

i wish them all the luck, i love amigas in any shape or form ,just find it strange when the world is in such bad dept ,they could have done this years ago and made us all happy,i would love a powerfull amiga to run os4. but ill stick to my flex for now.

Old 11 June 2010, 01:41   #48
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:

but not me.
Quote:
but ill stick to my flex for now.
Old 11 June 2010, 01:49   #49
NovaCoder

Quote:
i wish them all the luck, i love amigas in any shape or form ,just find it strange when the world is in such bad dept ,they could have done this years ago and made us all happy,i would love a powerfull amiga to run os4. but ill stick to my flex for now.
They couldn't do it while that legal BS was happening. Reading between the lines it looks like Trevor (and his business partner) are the ones to have funded this new hardware and not Hyperion (although the link between the two companies is very blurry).
Old 11 June 2010, 02:21   #50
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
WTG guys!

Do me a favour and make it as expensive as you can...

Making it more expensive means less buyers, means less developers and means less software which means... less buyers, means less developers and means less software. You must really want this to fail.
Old 01 September 2010, 19:44   #51
JACK98

No word about prices yet.if this is an official pic from wiki.i love the case

Last edited by JACK98; 15 November 2013 at 17:51.
Old 01 September 2010, 19:58   #52
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Send a message via MSN to ck1200 Send a message via Yahoo to ck1200
Wow that does look nice !!
Old 01 September 2010, 20:01   #53
JACK98

lets hope that mock up case becomes real
Old 01 September 2010, 20:12   #54
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
(although the link between the two companies is very blurry).
Which will probably translate to flaky support from either company if the two products (system board + software) don't synergise!
Nice idea, poorly implemented. (I wonder if they have looked at this from an ITIL perspective?)

They have more money than sense!

Seriously, they could have made a fortune if they had either;

a) worked some kind of emulator so OS4.1 can run on an x86 system
b) re-worked the original A1200 motherboard and released it as their own with upgrades/enhancements (just drop your own chips in and walah). Index Information did that years ago as the 'Access' so it's possible and I'd be prepared to pay upto £500 for one of those even now!

but no one will do it. The Classic Amiga market is far more viable than OS4 imo. There are probably more Indivisions out there than OS4 equipped machines.... even if you multiplied the OS4 machines combined by 5 or more.

Last edited by Paul_s; 01 September 2010 at 20:26.
Old 01 September 2010, 21:15   #55
kriz

And now delayed one more year ?! And this price tag ? Very strange stuff.
Old 01 September 2010, 21:41   #56
JACK98

Not surprised with delay,usually happens with new amiga's stuff.doubt the price could be that high?.

Old 01 September 2010, 22:05   #57
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK98 View Post
Not surprised with delay,usually happens with new amiga's stuff,doubt the price could be that high?.
There was rumour of over £1K. A fully loaded PC for that amount would seriously slaughter it, even a sub £500 PC could /sigh
Old 01 September 2010, 22:07   #58
JACK98

Aye was looking at the specs.but they taking the tag it will be A1000's launch price too far now

Old 01 September 2010, 23:04   #59
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
There was rumour of over £1K
In a video on YouTube Trevor Dickinson himself when asked said the price would be "north of £1500".
Old 02 September 2010, 00:27   #60
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi5150 View Post
In a video on YouTube Trevor Dickinson himself when asked said the price would be "north of £1500".
logic.does.not.compute.