English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 May 2020, 06:30   #1
Wizzy_Protogen

Question A2386SX weirdness!

Alright so this is my first actual thread here! I have owned a nearly new-in-box Amiga 2000 for a couple years now, and I've been gradually upgrading it into a monster over the past year or so. I bought ANOTHER Amiga 2000 for its GVP 030 Accelerator, Multistart II ROM switcher, and the topic of this thread, its A2386SX 25MHZ bridgeboard!

The machine arrived fine, and the bridgeboard and everything worked perfectly, just as the seller said it did. I took apart that Amiga to begin cleaning and refurbishing it to be resold to recoup some of my investment back. I put the aforementioned parts into my Amiga, and verified that everything was groovy, which it was! Everything worked as it should, and there was nothing out of the ordinary. (This was on OS 2.04 for future reference) The Amiga I bought (I will refer to it as "Amiga 2" from here on) also had dual booting set up between OS 3.1 and 1.3 via the kickstart ROM version, which was toggled through the Multistart II. After a bunch of tinkering, I did manage to recreate that setup on Amiga 1 (My original machine), though with OS 2.1 and 1.3 due to me wanting to keep my system specific to 1992. Here's where the funky part starts

After this was all configured as I wanted it to be, I went and reinstalled the Janus software onto the drive to get the bridgeboard's OS and whatnot configured. DO NOTE that I also have an OAK O67 VGA card installed and a separate monitor hooked up to this. I got the Janus disk installed as per normal with the PC folder in my main root directory, however the bridgeboard now suddenly refuses to give me a display. This would be a pretty standard issue, but what's REALLY weird is that IT STILL WORKS!!! The 3.5/5.25 combo floppy drive I have still seeks, the BIOS gives me 2 beeps (No CMOS battery. I did remove it and THANKFULLY there was no corrosion!), and I can even put in a floppy disk and the bridgeboard will BOOT it! Again, it refuses to give me a display, either on the external VGA monitor, OR the internal emulated CGA graphics on the Amiga, but EVERY OTHER PART WORKS. I just get a blinking cursor on the Amiga's screen, and nothing on the external. I also noted that PCPREFS wouldn't open. It would just seek the drive for a second and then do nothing. I placed my A2286 bridgeboard (which was in Amiga 1) back into it, and it works 100% flawlessly with no issues. Displays fine, PCPREFS opens, and everything is normal. Same goes for my A2088 bridgeboard, which I picked up a while back. I have absolutely no clue what could be causing this issue, and I've not seen it anywhere else online, so any advice or help would be appreciated as I consider myself to be a pretty big novice with Amiga things since I come from an MSDOS background.

TL;DR

Both the A2286 and the A2088 work 100% ok, but the A2386SX doesn't give me a display, breaks PCPREFS in the PC folder, but otherwise works flawlessly, boot and all.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I installed the PC Janus software in the wrong directory. All of the required files need to be run from the Workbench 1.3 folder on the dual booting setup, not the root directory on OS 2.1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EYHg7C9WkAAHATm.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	67498   Click image for larger version

Name:	EYHg84tX0AA9E1h.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	371.4 KB
ID:	67499  

Last edited by Wizzy_Protogen; 26 May 2020 at 20:23. Reason: Solved