Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcael View Post
thats annoying.
But looks nice
Old 27 February 2012, 23:15   #143
Graham Humphrey

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll have a look and see what I can do with powerups and things sometime this week. No promises in the short-term though - my number one priority is to get a new level (or levels) in the game and get the levels all 'joining up' correctly.
Old 27 February 2012, 23:49   #144
Siggy999

Looking quite slick!

I was doing some prototyping and doing some tools for something in blitz last week (to try and get more hands on with it) after looking over this, I might just continue with it and see how it comes out.

Anyways - it's looking quite nice! Very smooth!
Old 29 February 2012, 13:20   #145
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
  • Freeze Gun - you can freeze opponent in 2player
I also think that if one player could push the other, it could be a great fun. Still nobody to provide some nice track?
Old 29 February 2012, 13:50   #146
amigapd

Could there be some baddies patrolling certain platforms as the levels progress just to add some variety

Could some of the platforms in later levels decrease in size like burning candles so you have less area to aim for and have to move off quickly before that platform completely disappears?

Just some random thoughts and don't know if they would add or destroy the game play.

Also I love the main character - does he have a name as he could be used in future projects.
Old 29 February 2012, 14:20   #147
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Graham denied enemies so they will probably not be there, although I could imagine some that would patrol some platforms, yes.

Shrinking platforms could be also nice, I think they shouldn't be difficult to implement as platforms are sprites and they use color collision detection. So we could use a platform animation with transparency... who knows. Maybe in Downfall 2?

The main character doesn't have any name. I thought about one, but he still remains unnamed. He is something between mouse, coala bear and maybe elephant a bit? There is also 2nd player character already drawn:

He has big eyes, huge legs, tentacles on his head and doesn't have any arms. Maybe he could be related to Nebulus, I dont know.

Both will appear in bigger form in the title screen, which is already created.

Last edited by Predseda; 29 February 2012 at 14:27.
Old 29 February 2012, 23:20   #148
s2325
Zone Friend

Maybe enemies should stole fruits if you are not fast enough or make holes in platforms falling.
Old 01 March 2012, 00:15   #149
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Cool game. Simple and addictive

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 01 March 2012, 09:17   #150
Graham Humphrey

Thanks for all your comments!

I'm a bit wary about adding too many features as I don't want to (a) once again get into a position where the game will never get finished because there's an infinite list of stuff to add; and (b) I don't want to detract from the basic concept too much (less is more sometimes).

Saying that though, a few powerups will probably make it in as it would add a bit of variety and keep you on your toes a bit (especially in two-player mode).

I spent a bit of time last night constructing a second level (the first bit of work I've done on the game all week) so first and foremost I'm looking to get that done.

Oh, and yes, I do like the main character too - I'm sure that we could use him in future games, Dizzy-style...
Old 01 March 2012, 09:37   #151
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Great news. A am also for finishing the game as the original is, but then, maybe, there could be an enhanced version in the future, something like Downfall plus, with a lot of new features? If only you would have a time to tweak. Smtg like DJCruicky did with his Alien Fish Finger? Just an idea.

I am curious about new level, I think it is an important step to join two levels together. If this works (including correct score counting, platform style change and possible scrolling acceleration), it should allow the game development to process quickly. I will try to construct a level too. You could use the data from level 0 anyway.
Old 01 March 2012, 09:55   #152
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

If you want names, suggest any.

Originally I though this one would be Matthew and the 2nd one could be Jake, but I think there is a lot of better names.

I updated the website, listed all those changes and updates in WIPs there.

Last edited by Predseda; 01 March 2012 at 10:26.
Old 01 March 2012, 10:27   #153
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
If you want names, suggest any.
Judo and
Scally
Old 01 March 2012, 11:46   #154
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Judo and
Scally
I like.
Old 01 March 2012, 14:09   #155
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Looking at the video of Man Goes Down on Atari 2600 (from Graham's 1st post) does anyone know how the system of collectable fruits work there? There is some kind of table or chart after the game over with some statistics or so. Some special award for collecting all the kinds?
Old 01 March 2012, 14:49   #156
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Chucky and Bobcat

Not without reason. Chucky - looks like a mouse, which for some reason made me think about "chuck e cheese" from Sam & Max, which in turn made my thing about Chucky from Child's Play fame. Makes perfect sense right!?

Bobcat - his head bobs up and down which initially make me go for 'bob', but that is just waaay to easy. I thought of Boppin but that reference is too obscure. Eventually I settled on Bobcat because it looks nothing like a bobcat, but I've always enjoyed Bobcat Goldthwait's work (egad what a name!)
Old 01 March 2012, 16:51   #157
amigapd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
does anyone know how the system of collectable fruits work there?
Rather than fruit what about using letters like in Bubble Bobble - collect EXTRA for extra life or SLOW to slow the scrolling speed down?

I understand that Graham wants to keep it simple so that a game does get completed and released - but perhaps there could be a list of things going into the first release and then things to work on for a Downfall Deluxe?
Old 04 March 2012, 00:34   #158
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Is this game supposed to be KS1.3 compatible? If so then you are going to need to use "Slice's" instead of "Display's", as DisplayLib only seems to work on WB>2.0, or at least it did for both me and those I discussed it with. Has anyone tested? It would be awesome if this were a 512kB 1.3 game and would earn you massive street cred wherever classic Amiga fanatics are found

Also, if you're only using 16 colours then why not make it a 5 bitplane display and then you can use the extra bitplane for one extra colour in which to put the background copper without those annoying borders?

Some collision between players would be cool. I can imagine the feeling of satisfaction seeing the other player fall off a platform as I rush into him, or miss a crucial jump as I bounce on his head. No need for the weaponry or 'moves' that others have suggested here. I agree that simple is good. Special items with special abilities will not be as good as they sound. Just points and maybe an extra life or two is all you need, and will make coding that part so much easier.

But I wonder what will happen when one player loses all lives in two player mode? It kinda sucks playing a two player game solo after one player has finished. Prehaps he could continue with score reset to zero and the game ends only when both players have fully died on the same level. And how to impliment that? Prehaps simply not drawing the platforms for the next level leaving nothing between the players and certain death?

Now for my fancy feature requests, everyone else has made them so now it's my turn. I would like a choice of MANY characters, not just a mouse and a grey thing (I want to be a lego man, or maybe an emu). Would not make much difference to the gameplay, but it adds a nice personal touch and a little colour to the HS table if the player is walking on the spot next to the entry.

I guess that is as much a request to Predseda. (I really wanna be a lego man in this, or a SWOS player) Also I think giving them names makes them less rather than more identifiable. If you must give them names then give them something silly like Skullkitchen or prehaps something with a title like The Underwhelming Phalangot. Giving them cute names just makes me WANT them to plummet to their deaths. But of all the names mentioned Matt and Jake are my favorite, simple and unassuming.

And speaking of highscore tables: I like ones that have more than one stat, or prehaps more than one table, like: score, level/distance, fruits collected, % of time spent in mid-air.

And I want to etch-a-sketch my name rather than select it from the alphabet. And trust me, that feature will actually be EASIER to impliment than a keyboard and ascii routine. Just blitting a dot that moves where the joystick points and saving shapes. Is loading shapes not easier than loading text in Blitz?
Old 04 March 2012, 11:07   #159
Graham Humphrey

Thanks for the suggestions Rob (and everyone else).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
Is this game supposed to be KS1.3 compatible? If so then you are going to need to use "Slice's" instead of "Display's", as DisplayLib only seems to work on WB>2.0, or at least it did for both me and those I discussed it with. Has anyone tested?
It worked for me on KS1.3 - and judging by s2325's latest video, it worked for him too. I tried it with 512K Chip RAM + 512K Slow RAM on WinUAE.

I'll address all the other points from everybody later when I get more time - also I've got a second level all up and running now so that's one of the most important parts of the game sorted. It should now be easy to design the other levels and to integrate them into the game. I haven't done anything else this week due to a lack of time but I'll upload the new version with level two in tonight
Old 04 March 2012, 12:15   #160
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, I'm using A500 settings.