English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 02 February 2014, 19:54   #21
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
@BarryB
Just read the rest of this thread and great you got the card running! Really advise you to cool the PPC-part at least with a fan. You could also consider populating only the 1st simm-slot with eg. a 128Mb simm 50-60ns. This for stability and speed reasons. With the 2nd simm slot populated also you can't really up the memory speed in BPPC-startup menu.

IMO the Blizzard PPC is kinda wasted without a graphics card solution, so a Mediator/Voodoo combination or BVision gfx card is highly recommended
Old 02 February 2014, 23:58   #22
BarryB
Amigaholic

Bamiga, this is the dilemma I'm facing, no Tower to put the A1200 in so nowhere to get decent cooling into it. delshay says he's managed to cool his in a desktop so want to see if he'll post pics of how he's done it. I'm starting with classic hardware first and will probably get a BVision when one becomes available on Amibay, seen a few but they look like repair jobs so not bothering, wait till I see something that looks like it's OK.

I'm trying a small 40mm that fan blows under the keyboard gap at the back of disk drive onto the BPPC but not sure how effective that is. I have another 40mm fan so trying to figure out where to put that. Might end up getting some 20mm/30mm fans and trying to fit them under the keyboard gap near the disk drive so they blow under the board onto the 060/PPC!!
Old 03 February 2014, 00:23   #23
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hey BarryB, don't get sucked in by Delshay he likes to brag but not to show.

I used to cool my BPPC with a fan under the trapdoor, it worked a treat:

[ Show youtube player ]

You could do a neater solution. this was just a test/idea.

But my PPC and 060 were stone cold even under full load like this!
Old 03 February 2014, 00:44   #24
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I preffer a bit noisy than hot with expensive things. You can see how I have mine in my signature. BTW I've realized that I didn't install WarpOS that I must do.

Last edited by Retrofan; 03 February 2014 at 00:54.
Old 03 February 2014, 00:51   #25
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Indeed my fan was very noisy but you can buy quieter fans, I just grabbed that one from an old ABit SLI bridge!

If nothing else get the rubber feet from Wilko, it makes all the difference having air under the case, oh and of course leave the trapdoor off!
Old 03 February 2014, 01:04   #26
BarryB
Amigaholic

@fitzsteve: I've heeded all your advice, although I should credit you with a lot of the help you sent via PM's so I'll heed it again I see those feet you were mentioning earlier, you sure you're not mistaken and they are in fact rubber doorstops Your solution does look better regards getting air onto the 060/PPC except my A1200 hangs over my desk so the front feet stick out 1" into thin air!! Might have to think about some sort of base to put the A1200 on with a fan already screwed to it!!

@Retrofan: Hey, if a tw@ like me can get WarpOS installed and running you can do it blindfold or in your sleep
Old 03 February 2014, 01:10   #27
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

No mate they weren't the 1' door stops lol, the ones I bought are about 1cm high

I have a spare pack I can send you if you like, they're white and look nice on the A1200.
Old 03 February 2014, 19:52   #28
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
No mate they weren't the 1' door stops lol, the ones I bought are about 1cm high

I have a spare pack I can send you if you like, they're white and look nice on the A1200.
Thanks for the offer, but it's quicker to nip into my local Wilko if I need any I'm trying for an 'internal' solution first, just waiting for another set of 128mb SIMMS to arrive so I can see how much space I have around them to work with!
Old 04 February 2014, 04:31   #29
delshay

Memory access play a important roll how Blizzard card performs and this link is standard

http://www.amiga.org/gallery/index.php?n=3692&page=2

But hold on this posting has been sitting here for some time but I have not said a word until now. Theres more to this benchmarks that you think,the most important benchmark at this stage is the 'MEMCOPY' but wait. ..I have turn everything up to the MAX for my monitor but it still has the highest transfer for classic amiga. ..but change is coming. Look at the bus speed and it still retains 256MB of ram at Ultra high speed,but when this card go's 'MASTER' expect benchmark you have never seen before.

The link below does not show CPU speed thats the bit I like. Misterons

https://hdrlab.org.nz/benchmark/gfxb...OS/Result/1293

Last edited by delshay; 04 February 2014 at 05:08.
Old 04 February 2014, 09:09   #30
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

@delshay
I'm getting tired of your posts. You mainly just visit a thread writing the same things all over again, and not showing or sharing anything besides some benchmarks. Remember how you did the duck&cover thing in the "PPC-Warp3D games speedup" -thread? How about when I asked you for Nightlong PPC version 1.1? You didn't even bother to answer.

Now BarryB asked for some photos of cooling on your card. Now those really wouldn't be any trade secrets, so why not share the info to a fellow Amigan? If not, just shut up.
Old 04 February 2014, 09:56   #31
delshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
@delshay
I'm getting tired of your posts. You mainly just visit a thread writing the same things all over again, and not showing or sharing anything besides some benchmarks. Remember how you did the duck&cover thing in the "PPC-Warp3D games speedup" -thread? How about when I asked you for Nightlong PPC version 1.1? You didn't even bother to answer.

Now BarryB asked for some photos of cooling on your card. Now those really wouldn't be any trade secrets, so why not share the info to a fellow Amigan? If not, just shut up.
Ok,I can do that I will shut-up.

I will continue to post but nothing Blizzard PPC related in threads. I will continue to post screenshots of benchmarks but will not say a word in threads or added any links. ..End

Now closed
Old 04 February 2014, 11:31   #32
BarryB
Amigaholic

Oh dear! Hope you reconsider delshay and at least just post a few pics? If not then that's ok if you don't want to, thanks for the info anyway!
Old 04 February 2014, 13:53   #33
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

No he won't. It's just annoying the way he is most of the times. Please delshay, prove me wrong! Post the pics, share info on the BPPC cards modifications...I dare you!
Old 04 February 2014, 19:40   #34
BarryB
Amigaholic

OK.... swiftly moving on, can anyone explain why ADoomPPC runs like shit and ADoomWOS runs like hot snot? Also, does the joystick control tend to go a bit wonky in ADoomWOS, like sticking in one direction, as mine sure does?
Old 05 February 2014, 00:53   #35
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I'm guessing WarpOS is a lot more refinded than the on board PCI Library hence the performance increase.

As for Joystick sticking I've not had that, are you sure it's OK?

What I will say is you might need to add the tool types for ADoomWOS from the command line as for me they wont work from the Icon, for example I used to run:

ADoomWOS -joystick -height 240 -width 320 -fps

The -joystick command is for CD32 Pads so you can use the shoulder buttons as strafe and the all the face buttons.

You need the lowlevel.library for it to work however.
Old 05 February 2014, 01:10   #36
BarryB
Amigaholic

Yeah, the PPC version plays like it's coated in treacle wading through mud!! The joystick works fine in games, it's my Turrican joystick so I know it works I'll try those other games and running the WOS version from CLI. Think I have a joypad that came with my A500, I'll have to give that a go too!

Cheers Mr fitzsteve, something to do while I'm off sick
Old 05 February 2014, 02:28   #37
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
You could probably add -bus 50000000 command to AdoomPPC to make it run at the correct speed. (Although I cant remember how you work out the correct number). WarpOS version makes it redundant anyway.
Old 05 February 2014, 14:19   #38
BarryB
Amigaholic

Nice one Mad-Matt, used ADoomPPC -bus 66000000 -fps and now get the fps fitzsteve said I should, around 30-35fps so it's same as ADoomWOS now .

Joystick still goes wonky, even after using -joystick so don't know what that problem is? It seems to randomly lock an axis on the joystick so you either keep turning or moving forward so you just need to move another axis to break the lock, weird!

*UPDATE*

Also tried ScummVM AGA but it kept crashing my machine so read the DOCS! Installed AHI 4.18 + BGUI, installed the CopyMem/Quick patch and now it runs Copied over my CD's of Day of the Tentacle and Sam n' Max and both run great. This is probably old news to a lot of BPPC users but for first time users like me it's a bit of a learning curve, but we're getting there!

Last edited by BarryB; 05 February 2014 at 19:36.
Old 10 February 2014, 20:23   #39
BarryB
Amigaholic

Got my 2 x 128mb RAM today, and fuck my tall hat one of the bastards won't fit

It's the angled RAM socket that it won't fit in and couldn't understand why until I took out the BPPC and tried to fit it so I could see what the problem was, and this is the problem:

That red circled capacitor on the RAM (and all the others under each chip) fouls on the plastic edge of the SIMM socket stopping the RAM from clipping in! Even the plastic lugs on either side of the socket don't go through the two holes on the ends of the SIMM as those caps hold the RAM off that far!!

In the picture below, you can clearly see in the red circled area where a cap has left it's mark on the socket, you can also see the other seven identical marks on the socket the rest of the caps have left:

They maybe low profile SIMMS but they're definitely NOT 100% BPPC compatible!!