English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 10 November 2016, 21:59   #1
mark_k

SuperCard Pro and Keirf Disk Utilities

Today I finally got around to setting up the SuperCard Pro that I received some time ago.

I installed it in an old external SCSI enclosure with a brand new 3.5" Citizen drive. I got the Windows software working and seemingly successfully reading disks on my laptop running Windows 10 64-bit. Successfully in that I could insert a created .scp file into WinUAE DF0: and boot a game.

With the Windows SuperCard software, I'm using what I hope are the most complete options for preservation: reading 84 tracks, copy mode splice with 5 revolutions. Each .scp image file is 60+MB uncompressed.

My SuperCard has firmware 1.0. Is there any benefit to installing the latest v1.2 for reading or writing disks?

Ideally I'd like to use the SuperCard with Linux. For that the Keirf Disk Utilities should work. But I'm wondering, can I configure that to read in the same preservation-oriented way as the Windows software? Is there any benefit to using scp_dump over the Windows software, or vice versa?
Old 16 November 2016, 17:04   #2
JimDrew

Yes, you will want to upgrade the firmware. I changed how the strong bits (no flux areas) are handled.

The .scp file format is the same no matter if you are using my software, Keir's software, a8rawconv, etc.
Old 13 December 2016, 05:28   #3
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Hi mark_k

You mentioned in another thread that you are using Keir Fraser's disk-utilities. I really want to try it myself since I want to play around with converting SCP images to IPF and back again. Another user had been doing that with some success and I wanted to give it a go purely out of curiosity.

The only issue is, I can't get my head around compiling it and the instructions are way too vague. Also I am using Windows 10, not Linux. Do you happen to have a pre-compiled version of the latest disk-utilities even if it's just the Linux version? I guess I can have a crack at installing Linux if I can't get a Windows version. I think I read that the Windows version is not as feature complete as the Linux version. Is that true?

Thank you very much.
Old 13 December 2016, 06:11   #4
TjLaZer

How does this hardware work? Can you write the images back to real disks? How can you convert to .st, .atr, adf, d64, etc?
Old 13 December 2016, 07:22   #5
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Yep any flux images that you create of your own disks with the SCP can be written back to floppies. You can use HxC Floppy Emulator to convert to various image types.