English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 19 May 2015, 01:04   #1
Yoji

Simple NewShell script?.. in Arexx?

Apologies if this not correct place to post...

I am recently back to Amiga.. I used to be the shell all the time and it was a pain to find the icon under lots of windows if I needed a new one.. so I developed a nice (and presumably simple) script, tied to a hot key so I could instantly get a new shell prompt up.

Firing up my A1500 I found the HDD dead so I lost my script (cant find it on any floppies)..
I THINK I did it in Arexx somehow..

Any kind soul out there able to give me any pointers to how I can recreate this invaluable feature? It so useful I cant believe everyone not done it, I tried google it but I cant seem get the terms to filter out the unrelated stuff so I jet get swamped.

Any help appreciated
Thanks in advance and best regards..

(I do have an Amiga ARexx book - so I can prob get there in time.. but lack of this feature is driving me crazy.. so a short cut would be nice )
Old 19 May 2015, 07:32   #2
jPV

Do I understand correctly, that you only want a new shell window popping up when you press a hotkey? That doesn't need any scripts (not ARexx and not even AmigaDOS script), just give a Newshell or NewCLI command (with preferred arguments if needed) to the program handling the hotkeys (I've always had lamiga-s for shell, first with some separate commodity or MCP, but last decades as a global hotkey in Magellan2).

Examples:
NewCLI CON:0/50///AmigaShell/CLOSE
NewShell WINDOW="CON:240/200/550/350/AmigaShell/CLOSE"
Old 19 May 2015, 07:43   #3
thomas

Move FKey from Tools/Commodities to WBStartup, then double click it to open its window. Create a new hotkey which executes the Shell command NewShell. Select "save defines keys" from the menu. Then open the icon information and change CX_POPUP from YES to NO. That's it.

Alternatively you can just leave out the Shell icon so that it's shown on the Workbench. Select the icon and choose "leave out" from the menu.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fkey.png
Views:	131
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	44228   Click image for larger version

Name:	cx_popup.png
Views:	143
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	44229  
Old 19 May 2015, 10:54   #4
Yoji

Thanks guys..

I went with Thomas's Fkey solution. I didn't like the way it defaulted to creating the new shell pointing at the WBstartup directory - so I added a line in the shell-startup script to default it back to workbench.. its perfect

Interestingly - I never known about the Fkey option.. so I looked back - my 1500 was 1.3 and I updated it to 2.04 (the very latest at the time!!). I had a quick look and it seems Fkey came along after 2.04. Shame I seem to have lost my HDD as I would love to be able look back to how I did it.

Anyway - thanks again - your help appreciated
Old 19 May 2015, 11:55   #5
thomas

How does "dead" show up? If it does not spin up any more you might get it spinning by a gentle hit with your fist against the longer side.
Old 19 May 2015, 14:49   #6
Yoji

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
How does "dead" show up? If it does not spin up any more you might get it spinning by a gentle hit with your fist against the longer side.
I not totally give up on it yet.. but I have tried tapping it (not tried the cook/freeze it options you see people talk about yet!!! )

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=78138

Cheers