English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 February 2015, 02:15   #1
fondpondforever

Everyday Practical Electronics

Is Everyday Practical Electronics magazine useful for the Amiga enthusiast who uses Arduino-like boards and a soldering iron to create projects. For example would the magazine give you an advanced project equivalent to 6 LED's flashing different colours in the shape of a hexagonal gemstone when different frequencies are played in a Music program like ProTracker. Would Everyday Practical Electronics be useful for A-Eon's X1000 Xorro Project Board? Thanks.
Old 01 March 2015, 18:37   #2
Quazar

Short answer: No.

Long answer: I've not gone near electronics magazines for about a decade, I've not worked full time in electronics for about that time too but still keep my hand in with all the hardware I design for a hobby. (I'd love to get back into electronic design and embedded programming and all that jazz again for a full time job!). I bought a copy of EPE in January out of curiosity to see what it's like these days - it was the only electronics magazine I saw on the shelf, compared to years and years when I started as a kid there was quite a selection and before the WWW it was the easiest source of information.

Sadly, I found the magazine to be very bland. Little content, and it's certainly no use to tie in with your own specific tinkerings which you list.

I started electronics at a very young age, and the only way to get anywhere is to teach yourself, get on with your designing and have fun as you go!
Old 01 March 2015, 18:59   #3
BarryB
Amigaholic

I used to have Everyday Electronics, is this what that mag has become? When I was 13 or so there was a project for a a 0-20v PSU with a 5v TTL output (which powers my Commodore A10 speakers for my PC) so I built it, etching out my own board from the supplied layout, and it's still running today some 30+ years later

In fact, this is the issue: http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/b...cs-March-1983/

I think I still have that wire bending gauge as well

Found it:

Last edited by BarryB; 07 October 2018 at 13:32. Reason: Updated link
Old 02 March 2015, 17:10   #4
fondpondforever

Wow, that is cool. Is Everyday Electronics the same Magazine as Everyday Practical Electronics?
Old 02 March 2015, 21:15   #5
Quazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondpondforever View Post
Wow, that is cool. Is Everyday Electronics the same Magazine as Everyday Practical Electronics?
Yes. EE merged/bought other magazines and the name occasionally changed to reflect this. EPE is the current amalgamation...

From wikipedia:

By the early 1990s, Practical Electronics saw a marked decline in market share and, in 1992, it was purchased by Wimborne Publishing Ltd. which was, at that time, the publisher of the rival, novice-level Everyday Electronics.

The two magazines were merged to form Everyday with Practical Electronics (EPE) - the "with" in the title being dropped from the November 1995 issue. In February 1999, the publisher acquired the former rival, Electronics Today International, and merged it into EPE.
Old 03 March 2015, 03:32   #6
fondpondforever

By the sound of that Wikipedia text, the current edition of Everyday Practical Electronics seems like a high level electronics enthusiast Magazine. So if I was building a project on the Xorro X1000 Board, this Magazine wouldn't be useful at all. Right?
Old 04 March 2015, 22:24   #7
Quazar

See my first post above

EPE won't really be any use for your own specific application. Start small, learn the basics, learn from your own tinkering and problem solving, that's the best way I feel.

The internet has a wealth of information... wish I had that when I started electronics at a very young age!

Last edited by Quazar; 04 March 2015 at 22:45.
Old 05 March 2015, 02:22   #8
fondpondforever

Thanks Quazar.