English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 September 2015, 17:01   #1
nobody

Todays retro games that could be converted to Amiga

The title says all. Retro games that could be converted to Amiga. Meaning that the game's mechanics could be transferred to Amiga, and somewhat faithful graphics.

Inescapable. The mechanics look nothing special, could be easily converted to A500. It even reminds me an Amiga game.
[ Show youtube player ]

Super star path. A vertical scroll shoot em up. I believe A500 and 32 colors would be enough to make a very faithful clone.
[ Show youtube player ]

8bit boy. Nothing special, a Mario with some new touches
[ Show youtube player ]

Aqua Kitty. A Defender clone. Something similar could be done by reducing the colors a bit and screen size. I even has an Amiga disk click on intro and copper like sky gradients.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 September 2015, 21:22   #2
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

almost certainly, give or take a parallax layer... there's a lot going on in Aqua Kitty though, maybe moderate the action a bit and say A1200 for that one.
Old 13 September 2015, 21:29   #3
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
almost certainly, give or take a parallax layer... there's a lot going on in Aqua Kitty though, maybe moderate the action a bit and say A1200 for that one.
Not really. Nothing going on in the top half of the screen, its virtually static, how far does the game scroll left and right?

Reminds me of X-Out in visual style, similar sized objects and lots onscreen
Old 13 September 2015, 21:32   #4
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Not really. Nothing going on in the top half of the screen, its virtually static,
yeah i'd probably cut most of that off tbh
Old 13 September 2015, 21:41   #5
nobody

Yes they use parallax scroll that should be dropped, and for Inescepable that has parallax in outside areas use something like Lionheart where the player is a sprite i guess and then uses 8 colors for parallax and another 8 for foreground.

For Super star path maybe use some animated tiles to flash dots in the background to have 32 colors because it is a very colorful game.
Old 13 September 2015, 21:48   #6
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

well you know, i do really like parallax, i think it really does add something, maybe could produce AGA versions of each.

although i think in the case of 8 bit boy it is probably possible anyway, and especially Inescapable which doesn't even have such good graphics.
Old 13 September 2015, 21:52   #7
nobody

I have Aqua kitty and Super Star Path and Inescapable and they rock, if i had to choose only one of these would be Aqua Kitty though and Inescapable a close second because i like this type of games.
Old 14 September 2015, 11:18   #8
WayneK

Aqua Kitty looks (+ sounds) very good, as said above if you lost the upper part of the screen it might be possible.
Inescapable visually reminded me a lot of the old Blizzard game "Blackthorne" from the SNES, it's probably more suited to being back-ported to a 16bit console that can handle the parallax etc easily using tile-layers etc...
Old 14 September 2015, 11:32   #9
nobody

I guess aqua kitty could be done for a500. I have seen Amiga games that move a lot of 8x8 or 8x16, 16x8 objects that should be needed there. Inescapable could use parallax for outside areas only.
Old 14 September 2015, 11:52   #10
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
I guess aqua kitty could be done for a500. I have seen Amiga games that move a lot of 8x8 or 8x16, 16x8 objects that should be needed there. Inescapable could use parallax for outside areas only.
i suppose i was imagining a more "zoomed in" look, the objects are only so small because of a high resolution
Old 14 September 2015, 12:44   #11
Gzegzolka

I would love to play Broforce on classic amiga even if some details and physic elements were cut http://www.freelives.net/

http://tinybarbarian.com/ Tiny Barbarian DX or it's early version http://www.starquail.com/TinyBarbarian/TinyB.html should be more easy to port, there is not so much destruction as in broforce

[ Show youtube player ] - SuteF - this game I'm sure could be ported in 1:1 quality

Cave Story - I'm not sure if it wasn't already ported to amiga 4.0 and morphos

Momoroda 2 - was cool clone of cave story [ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 September 2015, 14:18   #12
liviux76

I take this opportunity to talk about some games I really like. I already wanted to open a thread about this topic so, there we are!

I am pretty sure that all games made by the indie software house "grubby games" could be ported to Amiga (maybe even classic OS 3.1/3.9).

Particularly Professor Fizzwizzle since it has been written in C/C++ with SDL and its hardware requisites were very low.

I own the Linux version of all games and the developers, Ryan Clark and Matt Parry, were very kind giving me their latest games as gift when the Linux versions were removed from the web shop.

It would be great if some skilled Amiga programmer could contact them and ask them if they would be willing to release the code to the Amiga community...

They are from Vancouver, BC, and I have their old "@grubbygames.com" emails but I don't think that those emails are still active since grubbygames has been bought from bigfishgames.

Last edited by liviux76; 14 September 2015 at 15:23.
Old 14 September 2015, 15:27   #13
nobody

Something like this mockup i did (took me 2 hours). Uses only 16 colors for sprites and panel.

Old 14 September 2015, 15:45   #14
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

I think most could be converted without too much trouble* and with minimal cutbacks:

Inescapable - Perhaps possible with the Assassin game engine (the main sprite had over 2000 frames of animation, y'know). Or Turrican, etc.. The real aspect of this game would be the story and level design.

Super Star Path - Anything less than Xenon 2 Megablast need not apply! This does look pretty, though.

8-Bit Boy - Why bother..? Giana Sisters already showed us how to do a brilliant Mario clone.

Aqua Kitty - Now, that's more like it Didn't R-Type II have an in/out of water section? This is the sort of thing that a talented coder needs to pick up and really push the 1200 with. It would need trimming back a bit, but making the sprites a bit bigger and reducing the number of on-screen elements would work. I'd pay good money for a conversion!

Broforce - Yep. This is great fun, and seem to mimic the Miggy's early graphic style. Not sure how big the maps are, though..

Tiny Barbarian - Without the parallax, this is an A500 game. The small player sprite reminds me of Exile (although a lot less fiddly!).

But how about something a bit meatier, say [ Show youtube player ]. We've had isometric adventure games before, with turn-based fights. And shifting isometric graphics wasn't too tricky for the likes of Blade, Shadowlands, Syndicate...

*By 'too much trouble' I mean for a decent ASM coder... Not me and my limited use of Blitz!
Old 14 September 2015, 18:07   #15
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuMan View Post
8-Bit Boy - Why bother..? Giana Sisters already showed us how to do a brilliant Mario clone.
yeah no need to make any platform games ever again after Giana Sisters...

WAT
Old 14 September 2015, 18:29   #16
Amiga1992

It's nice to fantasize, theorize and all that, but we should be learning to code or something, because there won't be a magic Amiga genie coming to program these games for us.
Also there're a lot of talented graphicians and music people here but they aren't working with coders, so why don't you team up and do something about this? I see a lot of coders making games that need a lot of graphic/music work on top, and I also see a lot of graphicians with gfx concepts that need code to run and whatnot.

This won't go anywhere as long as we have our heads firmly planted in a hole in the floor.
Old 14 September 2015, 19:43   #17
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Game mechanics wise both Legend of Grimrock games are perfectly possible except for the shadow puzzle in the first Grimrock game (probably). The multiple levels of elevation mechanic of the second Grimrock game was done before in Hired Guns. Obviously not in real time 3D, but that's not needed anyway.
Old 14 September 2015, 22:35   #18
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
yeah no need to make any platform games ever again after Giana Sisters...

WAT
Not quite the point I was making...
8-Bit Boy is not a shining example of this type of platform game. Likewise, Mario is not the be all and end all of platform games (despite its brilliance).
The point was that, if you are going to convert a current retro game to the Amiga, at least make it a good one.

How about the likes of Fez, Rayman, Shovel Knight? All good candidates.
Old 14 September 2015, 22:36   #19
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

People, do not forget Super Crate Box!
Old 14 September 2015, 23:01   #20
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Something like this mockup i did (took me 2 hours). Uses only 16 colors for sprites and panel.

Looks good, with extensive colour reloading above the water level can make it look much brighter, and at virtually no cost.

Still want to know though, does Aqua Kitty do much scrolling left or right, or is it only partial movement? If its partial , it can be cheated further by simply having the screen as an oversized picture, which would give more time for blitting objects onscreen and not blitting in strips on the vertical edges.