English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Looking for a game name ?

Old 08 March 2016, 15:47   #1
Daedalus

Rubbish Submarine Game Name?

I've been trying to remember the name of a game I bought during the death throes of the Amiga. It was a submarine game that was so terrible once I eventually got it to work, that I brought it straight back to the shop and exchanged it for some re-releases.

I needed to disable caches and hard drives and remove my accelerator to get it to even boot on my A1200. There was no sound, and it opened an interlaced(!) screen in black and white, which was enough to give anyone a massive headache. It was some sort of turn-based strategy game that I couldn't make any sense of, and the few controls that were available appeared to be directly lifted from an early Mac OS version, so gadgets with rounded edges and extra borders.

I expect it was a port of an old Mac game, made in a hurry to try and squeeze some money out of the dying Amiga market, and I regularly use it as my example of the worst game ever so I'd love to know the name of it and how it managed to get released at all.
Old 08 March 2016, 16:04   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Silent service, Depth Charge, up scope, 688 Attack Sub ?
Old 08 March 2016, 16:16   #3
Nobby_UK

Sub Battle Simulator ?
Old 08 March 2016, 16:31   #4
Daedalus

Nope, none of them I'm afraid. I've been through the HOL list in the "Transport - Submarine" category, and they all (including the ones you've both suggested) look far, far superior to the game I had. It was black and white only, and the one screen I remember was a top-down, grid-like affair. It vaguely reminded me of the Battleship board game but didn't seem to play like that.
Old 08 March 2016, 16:48   #5
s2325
Zone Friend

Maybe it was some kind of emulated Macintosh or PC?
Old 08 March 2016, 16:56   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Nope, none of them I'm afraid. I've been through the HOL list in the "Transport - Submarine" category, and they all (including the ones you've both suggested) look far, far superior to the game I had. It was black and white only, and the one screen I remember was a top-down, grid-like affair. It vaguely reminded me of the Battleship board game but didn't seem to play like that.
Clutching at straws here...

Flotte: http://hol.abime.net/2738
Old 08 March 2016, 17:56   #7
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

I'm pretty sure the game Daedalus is talking about is Subversion. It was originally released in 1992/93 in the U.S. on Apple computers & the Amiga, and released as a budget Amiga game in the UK in '95 by Guildhall.

http://hol.abime.net/2168

I just happened to buy this game last year to add to the collection and, frankly, it'd be a real stinker of a game on any of the 8-bit platforms let alone the Amiga. I think the Amiga Format review best sums up the quality of the game!

http://amr.abime.net/review_3253

Last edited by DrBong; 08 March 2016 at 18:10.
Old 08 March 2016, 19:12   #8
Daedalus

Ooh, that does look like it could be it alright! I seem to remember it being (even) less colourful though... Does it open on an interlaced screen?

Edit: And ouch, that review! I see it's under the "wargames" category instead of submarines, so I missed it the first time.