English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 November 2003, 18:54   #1
yadster

Eyetech EZ keyboard adapter probs

Just bought a discarded Amiga Tower project and I've managed to iron a few problems out except for the keyboard adapter. It's an Eyetech one and the cable that attaches to the A1200 motherboard is well chewed up and consequently the keyboard doesn't respond. Is it possible to fix said cable with a pair of scissors perhaps or better still does anyone know what the technical term is for this cable so I can buy one cheapo off Ebay?
Old 26 November 2003, 22:55   #2
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Eeek! if it's what I think it is you could be well stuffed

If it's that wide plastic strip stuff then unless it's 'un-pluggable' at both ends you've got problems, it's a bugger to fix onto a board without the proper equipment.

the cheapest fix (the parts are cheap but it's fiddley and takes a while) is to unsolder the keyboard connector on the 1200 and solder a lump of ribbon cable in its place and then remove the cable connector on the EZ jobbie and solder on the ribbon cable...

possibley add a male & female IDC D-type connector in the middle of the cable to be able to remove it...
Old 26 November 2003, 23:05   #3
yadster

It's one of these babies http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...&category=3543 The plastic strip does come out easy enough, I guess I'll probably have to buy a complete set which is annoying when all it needs is some sort of plastic strip thing - technically speaking
Old 27 November 2003, 13:50   #4
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Probably a silly question, but have you tried phoneing eyetech?

They may have a whole box of 'plastic strip things' lurking in a corner of the warehouse.

Don't bother emailing them unless you've got a few weeks to wait... or I could give you a direct email address for Alan R as long as you don't say where you got it

Or try Sven Harvey as he's taking over part of eyetech's retail side...
Old 27 November 2003, 17:17   #5
woody57

Did you not fancy the other version ?

Allthough I,ve used eyetech stuff their other version of " easy key " that just clips over a chip "and you clamp it down ! square ! " worked better for me ! I understand your problem with that convertor type however because with all the extra conectors etc you,ve got more possiblities of poor contact , even if your repair soldering is spot on ! Sevrin is right in suguesting the original supplier eyetech as even though they,ve changed the prioties of their operation they are at least in the same county as you ! who knows maybe more local than you realise !In any case hope you solve this one & let us know how you get on !