English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Amiga Magazine Rack > AMR suggestions and feedback

Old 13 June 2010, 22:55   #21
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Last Activity: 07 January 2010 00:22
Might explain it...
Yay, and same story with Codetapper. I suppose AMR is more or less unmanaged atm.
Old 13 June 2010, 22:58   #22
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
OT: .cbr and .cbz files are great. if you don't use them that doesn't mean that there aren't people that do.
OT2:

True, the Comicbook Reader format is THE standard for comics and magazine scans (complete issues, of course).
Old 14 June 2010, 01:59   #23
logix
Guru Meditation

I also tried to Contact Codetapper because of AMR Issues/Probs.
But I think he's a Litte Busy with other Things the last Few Months.

Just for Clarity:
CBR, CBZ (and CB7...) are nothing more than renamed RAR, ZIP or 7Z Files, btw.
They are not really a new Fileformat, and that's THE Advantage. Rename a .CBZ to ZIP, for Instance, and You can Extract all Files Contained within.
But pointless for AMR, nevertheless. Would be a Good Idea for the Manuals in HOL.
But I think we Stuck with PDF here, because of it's Huge Marketshare.

Now - What were We talking about in the First Place? I know, I know.
Obey the Topic!
Old 04 July 2010, 23:54   #24
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
If you're going to scan an issue sit down and scan the whole thing, rather than scanning 10% of 10 issues making the whole thing look like a bit of a waste of time.
Agree, BUT:
Better don't exaggerate by scanning every ad page too in that magazine! (I mean those with one big ad on the whole page.) Granted, some purist completists may say it's not 100% original anymore then
But I think it would be a silly thing to do anyhow
Old 05 July 2010, 00:01   #25
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Don't listen to andreas, it won't be 100% original then.

(If you scan 50~60 pages then you can include those 4-5 pages for ads just as well...)
Old 05 July 2010, 00:03   #26
prowler
Global Moderator

Adverts FTW!
Old 05 July 2010, 00:06   #27
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Also full page ads for a game are nice things to have for HOL
Old 05 July 2010, 00:57   #28
logix
Guru Meditation

It seems that most People discussing here, haven't Scanned a Single Page of any Magazine Yet. - No Offense!
I also Scanned (Game)-Adverts because, as TCD already mentioned, they are a nice Addition for HOL, and a part of Gaming-History aswell.

Simple PD- or Hardware-Commercials can be skipped, but I tend to Include these aswell.
It's about History, Guys!

btw:
When You intend to Scan the most of a Magazine you can Scan the whole thing in the first Place,
because it's a more Time-Consuming Job to rename and Count the Files if You left out some Pages.
And You will come Back some Time to Scan the Pages You left Out in the First Place.

Belive Me, I know what I'm talking about.
My "Scanning-History" should Speak for itself
Old 05 July 2010, 09:00   #29
Marcuz

i was trying to read all the capitals letters in your message together to see if there were some hidden message.
i was let down to see that there weren't.
as far as i can tell.
Old 05 July 2010, 16:00   #30
logix
Guru Meditation

@Marcuz

Are you talking to me?
i won't dignify thiS with any more wordS!
Old 05 July 2010, 17:54   #31
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I scanned a few things. But I'm very lazy and it is hard, boring work. I've got almost complete collections of Amiga Power, Amiga Action, Amiga(ST) Format, CU Amiga, Amiga Shopper and The One Amiga (under all guises) but I tend to scan only covers and things which I needed / wanted for other reasons. (i.e. Thalion reviews)

I can understand why you don't like partial scans but there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Stop accepting / publishing partial scans and people like myself will just stop contributing to AMR completely.

Better to have something which builds up slowly over time than nothing at all.
Old 05 July 2010, 18:06   #32
prowler
Global Moderator

Alex is right. When you have only an A4 flatbed scanner and the magazines in question are mostly oversized, it is hard work.

I shall be uploading some scans of ASM and C programming courses for AlfaRomeo and chiark shortly, taken from CU Amiga magazines and will provide copies for the AMR/HOL server, but there is little incentive for me to provide more pages.

The AMR/HOL server information was given to me in connection with CU Amiga disk images missing on AMR by TheCyberDruid. Previous attempts I have made to get this information from the AMR team have been ignored (some might say rebuked). This attitude has hardly been inspiring, and because of it, I have passed up the opportunity to acquire, cheaply, magazines for scanning for inclusion on AMR.

Please don't take offence at my words. I know you're all busy with other things, but this has been my experience and opportunities have been missed as a result.
Old 05 July 2010, 18:10   #33
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Please don't take offence at my words. I know you're all busy with other things, but this has been my experience and opportunities have been missed as a result.
:s I try to change that for HOL, but I really have no more spare time to dedicate on anything else. Since except for Cody the whole AMR team is inactive, it seems like reinforcement is in order. Might be an idea to add logix to the team, as he recently asked about it and I guess it could be useful to have him help on AMR. I'll certainly talk with Cody about that.
Old 05 July 2010, 18:55   #34
logix
Guru Meditation

@TCD
You must mean HOL, since I already on Board the AMR-Team.

@prowler
Some A3-Scanners aren't that Expensive. Most of the Scans I've made for the AMR were done with a "Mustek ScanExpress A3"
It cost me around 100€ over Three Years ago. (New/Retail)
But I've got a new Scanner. It's an Epson GT 15000! Have a look
This 13kg Monster is really fast and High Quality.

@alexh
Partial Scans are OK too, as long as the Quality of the Scans itself is acceptable.
Better a Few Scans than nothing, as I mentioned earlier.
There would be still the Chance for others to Complete the missing Pages.

Quote:
...But I'm very lazy and it is hard, boring work
Yes, it is. But the Results are worth the hard and boring work, methinks.
Old 05 July 2010, 19:04   #35
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by logix View Post
@TCD
You must mean HOL, since I already on Board the AMR-Team.
Hmm, then I wonder what the problem here is. Seems like there's quite a bit to do on the AMR side, so maybe you need an 'upgrade' then?
Old 05 July 2010, 19:15   #36
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by logix View Post
@prowler
Some A3-Scanners aren't that Expensive. Most of the Scans I've made for the AMR were done with a "Mustek ScanExpress A3"
It cost me around 100€ over Three Years ago. (New/Retail)
But I've got a new Scanner. It's an Epson GT 15000! Have a look
This 13kg Monster is really fast and High Quality.
@logix
Yes, your new scanner really is a monster, and probably worth all that you paid for it and more. Point taken.

But, you see, the scanner that I presently own does all that I require of it and if I were to upgrade to an A3 model, it would have to be for a very good reason.

AMR, in its present form, is not sufficient incentive to do that, but I am open to discussion on what we can all do to breathe fresh life into it.
Old 05 July 2010, 23:05   #37
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Unhappy Grrrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
If people are submitting magazines to AMR, or your team are scanning, then for god's sake enough of this click on an issue and find only 4 useless pages scanned. Clearly someone actually has the magazine at the time of scanning the cover and contents pages only.

If you're going to scan an issue sit down and scan the whole thing, rather than scanning 10% of 10 issues making the whole thing look like a bit of a waste of time.
Spoken exactly like someone who hasn't done a single thing for the project, and has no idea of how much work is involved.

ImmortalA1000: How many pages have you scanned to contribute to AMR? How many reviews have you indexed? You could do some work on it yourself if you were that interested rather than slagging off what's missing.

We are always open to adding more to it, but I think some of the original members are a bit burnt out at the moment - it's natural on any enormous project. Comments like Immortal's don't exactly inspire us to do more work, and if we only put up issues when they were 100% complete, there would probably only be about 1% of the data online.

A big thanks to Logix for all his work lately on the site - I have recently organised a wedding, bought a house, moved, maintenance on the property, and have a baby due very shortly. Scanning pages of old magazines is not high on my priority list right now and I'm unlikely to have much time in the next little while either!

Galaxy is engaged, he's not even in Australia where his mag collection or scanner is!

So give us a break people, and if you really wish to help out, you could do some scanning/indexing and help fill the gaps!
Old 05 July 2010, 23:23   #38
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
So give us a break people, and if you really wish to help out, you could do some scanning/indexing and help fill the gaps!
I wrote you about indexing in January or so. This would be a good opportunity to recruit new staff.
Old 05 July 2010, 23:37   #39
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
This would be a good opportunity to recruit new staff.
I agree. That has to be the best way forward.
Old 06 July 2010, 17:19   #40
logix
Guru Meditation

Hi Codetapper.

Nice to See you in these AMR-Threads again.
Congratulations on all your private / "real life" events. You must have a very Turbulent Time right now.

Just Two Things:

There's still the Problem with the Automatic Thumbnail Generation.
If you upload the Scans, no Thumbnails will be created.
On all of my recent updates, I've made the Thumbnails Myself.
If you find the Time, please investigate on this Error.

If not done already, please give gilgamesh (and prowler - if he wants) accounts for the AMR.
We need people who do the indexing, too.

Thanks