English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 05 February 2019, 21:32   #2421
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Oddly specific parenting there Anubis, Damien gets a free pass or something?
Old 05 February 2019, 22:23   #2422
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
It does seem quite odd, now that you mention it. One would think I would know better, or for that matter, DoubleD would know better...

Now, something interesting about one of SF classics - Space Odyssey: 2001 - apparently Kubrick calculated that it would take about 13 years for artist to pain all stars on mates are in background and/or holding spacecrafts, so he hired 12 more artists and completed painting project in 1 year.

Now, that is dedication to work and art...
Old 05 February 2019, 22:32   #2423
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I was thinking the same thing
Old 11 February 2019, 14:47   #2424
Shoonay
Global Caturator

AVGN just reviewed Joysticks (1983) and from the looks of it, it's... something.

[ Show youtube player ]

PS: the whole movie is on yt.
Old 11 February 2019, 16:58   #2425
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

It has pointless nudity, so it is an 80's masterpiece. Why have I not even heard of this movie before??
Old 11 February 2019, 17:45   #2426
BullyDog

I had a big crush on Corinne Bohrer.
Old 11 February 2019, 17:56   #2427
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Not so much the actress itself, but I remember one character she played that gave me childhood butterflies in the stomach. Must have been Police Academy 4 judging by the photos.
Old 11 February 2019, 18:19   #2428
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Oh yeah, her, I'm sure we all saw her in Vice Versa and Revenge of the Nerds, too.
Old 13 February 2019, 00:14   #2429
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Prisoners, another Villeneuve instant classic. I went in knowing almost nothing about this movie other than it being a real gripping story...

What score did I give Blade Runner 2049? A 9.6 if I recall correctly. Well then.

9.7/10

Damn. Gripping indeed. And gruesome. And horrific. And - so - good. The movie made me think, it was fun to think and try to complete the puzzle with all the pieces that the movie gives you. It is a rare treat in this day and age to be engaged by a movie in this capacity.

Slow and methodical, excellent acting, beautifully shot, perfect writing, realistic characters... Yeah this is my near-perfect movie.
Old 19 February 2019, 19:16   #2430
pubzombie

Not a movie - but i'm loving it. The Expanse. Space as i always imagined it. I never read the books but the series if fantastic. reminds me of the games of traveler and star frontiers we used to have back in the day.
Old 21 February 2019, 16:57   #2431
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Not a movie either although the title would imply otherwise: That Sugar Film. Food and health are controversial topics that only lead to angry exchanges between "Fat is bad" VS "Sugar is bad" VS "Meat is bad" VS "Whatever, we're all going to die, yolo". No. A pointless discussion to hold online, so we're not going to do that.

Suffice it to say: This is highly recommended, besides entertainment value, if you want to get some motivation to cut some sugar from your diet. Because step 1: learn what sugar is and how it affects you. Or to be more precise: what sugars are and how some affect you more than others. No matter your stance on where fat livers, fat guts, diabetes and clogged arteries are coming from, nobody can deny that this is a valuable thing to know. This movie lays it out for you in a fun and easy to understand way while not watering it down.

The premise of the movie: For 60 days a really healthy Australian man, athletic, young and thriving and who has already willingly cut added sugars from his diet for several years, will subject himself to a government recommended diet. As in: no soda, no cookies, no ice cream, no sweets, no pies, no cheating of any kind. He will eat normal food that most people eat daily and consider to be healthy, following the usual recommendation of low fat products. There is a hard limit imposed: no more than 40 tea spoons** of added sugar in a day. Which is a ludicrously high upper limit for which you need to eat insane amounts of junk in order to ingest it, right?

The end result is a sight to behold. But the journey along the way is too. Progress is intermixed with tidbits about sugar and how it affects the body, presented in a comical way. It's all very child-friendly.

No score since it's a documentary about a controversial topic, but I give it two thumbs up nonetheless.

** A note on that: what this person calls a tea spoon, I call a table spoon. You mileage may vary.
Old 21 February 2019, 18:14   #2432
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
Not a movie - but i'm loving it. The Expanse. Space as i always imagined it. I never read the books but the series if fantastic. reminds me of the games of traveler and star frontiers we used to have back in the day.
I've seen only 1st season, and that was good.Will have to find time to see it, once I'm up to date with The Orville. Now, that is kind of space I've had always imagined...

And to keep it going, last thing I watched is not movie either, more like documentary sold as movie - Religious (2008). It is just incredible look at religion, usa, politics and issues. 9/10

Last edited by Anubis; 22 February 2019 at 19:54.