English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 23 August 2016, 03:53   #121
trydowave

having problems with the hdd version on my A1200. Downloaded and extracted on the Amiga.

I can play the game in 2btn mode but there's an error at the beginning about chip mem (sorry cant remember it exactly)

Because of this i just get the scanned image but no intro. i can still press the button to get ro the game.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks

A1200 with ACA1230/33 128mb ram, indiaga mk2cr. OS3.9
Old 23 August 2016, 04:03   #122
earok

Unfortunately the intro is currently very chipram heavy (I haven't had a chance to rewrite it to be friendlier in that regard) so even if you've got tonnes of fastram, it won't help if the system is keeping your chipram to itself.

Are you able to boot workbench with a minimal startup sequence, and give it a try?
Old 23 August 2016, 04:18   #123
trydowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Unfortunately the intro is currently very chipram heavy (I haven't had a chance to rewrite it to be friendlier in that regard) so even if you've got tonnes of fastram, it won't help if the system is keeping your chipram to itself.

Are you able to boot workbench with a minimal startup sequence, and give it a try?
is there a way to run the game with no ss? would closing docks help etc?
Old 23 August 2016, 04:30   #124
earok

If you were to boot straight into the cli you could run this from the command line from the containing directory:

execute "Giana Sisters SE"

I'm not a workbench expert at all so I'm not sure what can really be done to cut back on chipram usage, I don't think closing docks etc would save much though.
Old 23 August 2016, 04:49   #125
trydowave

Quote:
If you were to boot straight into the cli you could run this from the command line from the containing directory:

execute "Giana Sisters SE"

I'm not a workbench expert at all so I'm not sure what can really be done to cut back on chipram usage, I don't think closing docks etc would save much though.
cheers... ill give it a go
Old 26 August 2016, 02:59   #126
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Tried it on my A600 2mb chip, the HD version worked like a charm. Very good work guys, the game really looks a lot better now (and gone is that dreadful title screen)

It's weird with enemies that don't mirror themselves when they change directions, but I can live with that (it would be great if you guys could address this, but I guess it isn't something simple to do)

I got a few issues with the controller, but I am sure this is a WHDLoad issue, not with your mod. Playing with 2buttons, if I accidentaly press UP+LEFT, I just don't move anywhere, but if I press UP+RIGHT, I do move right.

Also ,sometimes I try to jump and the game pauses. Is there any specific command to pause? This is very annoying... and I can't pause using the keyboard!

Playing this I notice I actually never gave much time to the original Giana Sisters on Amiga. On its own, it's a very nice game, even though its really pityful that the non SE version actually pales aside the C64 one.

And the game is not *THAT* similar to Mario. Of course the inspiration is there and there a lot of similarities, but I bet what really got Nintendo was the "The Brothers are History" advert. If they didn't try so hard to sell this as a Mario clone, I bet Nintendo wouldn't care or notice it at all (I mean, look at Frank Bruno's Boxing on the C64, now THAT'S a huge Nintendo rip-off! )

I also find funny how many Amiga fanboys rank this as better than Super Mario Bros. That's why they shouldn't try to sell this as a Mario beater.... this is a very nice game and all, but Super Mario Bros is like one of the best games ever made in gaming history. That game oozes playability and finesse from everywhere. Giana Sisters is nice, but can't get even close to the awesomeness that Super Mario Bros is.

But, back to the point, awesome work guys, thank you a lot for this!
Old 26 November 2017, 20:58   #127
TjLaZer

The ADF has a bug where the Amiga needs to be a PAL Amiga to boot the game. NTSC users are forced to go into PAL mode. This is ok but poses a problem for some that use their machine with NTSC displays, and also incorporated a large black GAP at the bottom of the screen. I know this was supposed to be fixed, but just wanted to send a reminder *bump* ! :P

The HD version can have a work around by using tools like PAL/NTSC or AmigatoPAL/AmigatoNTSC in the script. As the intro requires PAL, but the game works perfect in NTSC.

Last edited by TjLaZer; 16 July 2018 at 03:30.
Old 26 November 2017, 22:18   #128
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
The ADF has a bug where the Amiga needs to be a PAL Amiga to boot the game. NTSC users are forced to go into PAL mode. This is ok but poses a problem for some that use their machine with NTSC displays, and also incorporated a large black GAP at the bottom f the screen. I know this was supposed to be fixed, but just wanted to send a reminder *bump* ! :P

The HD version can have a work around by using tools like PAL/NTSC or AmigatoPAL/AmigatoNTSC in the script. As the intro requires PAL, but the game works perfect in NTSC.
We'll get back to that

I vaguely remember writing an improved version of the HDD intro (much faster loading times, lower RAM footprint, stereo, cropped for NTSC) but this isn't released yet.
Old 10 July 2018, 09:09   #129
earok

I've been working on an update to the HDD version - while it's not out officially I've uploaded it here for anyone keen to try it out - https://mega.nz/#!AmwnRB6K!_eOslE_nv...VmbNv7NI5CUv4s

What's new is:
* The intro has been overhauled with lower memory requirements, faster loading times, stereo audio, proper NTSC support
* Psygore's latest WHDLoad slave (1.6), fixes minor bugs with the game
Old 11 July 2018, 07:54   #130
Valken

You are awesome!
Old 11 July 2018, 14:14   #131
earok

Thanks mate

CD32 edition of the update: https://mega.nz/#!MzxHVAyJ!yLhmQsSIE...MUNrVZ67Yfn8vY
Old 11 July 2018, 20:40   #132
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Old 11 July 2018, 23:02   #133
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I've been working on an update to the HDD version - while it's not out officially I've uploaded it here for anyone keen to try it out - https://mega.nz/#!AmwnRB6K!_eOslE_nv...VmbNv7NI5CUv4s

What's new is:
* The intro has been overhauled with lower memory requirements, faster loading times, stereo audio, proper NTSC support
Haven't had the chance to try this as yet, but cheers earok for your continuous improvements / updates
Old 12 July 2018, 02:47   #134
Nobby_UK

"Temporary error, retrying."

Never does !
Old 12 July 2018, 03:46   #135
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
"Temporary error, retrying."

Never does !
Ouch.. Mega can be a bit painful sometimes.

I've zoned both the CD32 and HDD versions if you want to grab it from there.
Old 12 July 2018, 06:21   #136
TjLaZer

Quote:

What's new is:
Tested working on NTSC A4000! Will test a ECS machine next.
Old 12 July 2018, 14:00   #137
DamienD
Banned

Quote:

What's new is:
I wonder if someone would be so kind as to create a nice "trainer" this version for us?
Old 12 July 2018, 14:22   #138
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I wonder if someone would be so kind as to create a nice "trainer" this version for us?
I'm not sure if I've tested this, but from the WHDLoad slave notes:

Default trainer key is numerical ] (quitkey-2). Pressing it toggles the
life loss.
Note: Once you used the trainer the game wont save the highscores
this runtime anymore.
Old 12 July 2018, 14:49   #139
DamienD
Banned

Oh yeah, forgot this uses WHDLoad (even though you've said enough times)

...so probably an external trainer wouldn't work.
Old 12 July 2018, 15:08   #140
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Well, the older Flashtro version should be good enough. Maybe it get's an update later.

http://flashtro.com/flashtro-great-giana-sisters-se/