English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 January 2016, 17:38   #1
TenLeftFingers

AROS Broadway vs Icaros Live

Now that Ubuntu linux is going convergent I will be using the 'pocket desktop' from this year on, connecting my phone to a screen by HDMI with Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. This frees up some laptops and a desktop in my house so I've been briefly trying out the above two systems in a VM. My experience:

Broadway looks really nice and tidy, but doesn't seem to be configured properly on installation (looking for non-existent volumes to perform some trivial operations in Prefs).

Icaros Desktop seems to have much more content, but most of it doesn't work.

So I'm leaning towards Broadway for it's likeness to classic Amiga and potential simplicity of configuration.

Can anyone else who has tried both share their experiences so I can make good choice?
Old 25 January 2016, 20:51   #2
Dunny

I recently put Icaros on my older laptop (Core i5 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, IntelHD Gfx) but it couldn't run it at all well - stuck at 1024x768 resolution, no matter what I tried to get it to run at 1366x768 native. And it crashed. A lot.

Might give Broadway a try, but I'm not convinced that it will be any different.

D.
Old 25 January 2016, 21:03   #3
TenLeftFingers

I had a similar problem with Broadway - but on a VM. Maybe as a native install it will be better...
Old 26 January 2016, 00:37   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

I have on my PC all 3 AROS distro x86, Icaros is the most advanced and complete distro, unlike Linux distro, and AROS distributions have a system common ground AROS Nightly Build, what changes is only the look and feel. IcarOS Desktop offers the choice of two desktop, Wanderer e Magellan, while AROS Broadway and AspireOS instead they have a single theme style Workbench. Until some time ago my choice falls on AspireOS totally compatible with my Acer Aspire One (Audio, Video, Lan, WiFi), when this system is being updated.

My IcarOS Desktop (Wanderer)

My AROS Broadway

My Acer Aspire One

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 26 January 2016 at 00:46.
Old 26 January 2016, 03:56   #5
TenLeftFingers

Thank you AMIGASYSTEM! It's great to get a visual comparison like that - much appreciated!

How do you find they differ in terms of functionality and post-installation quirks?
Old 26 January 2016, 10:13   #6
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
I recently put Icaros on my older laptop (Core i5 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, IntelHD Gfx) but it couldn't run it at all well - stuck at 1024x768 resolution, no matter what I tried to get it to run at 1366x768 native. And it crashed. A lot.

Might give Broadway a try, but I'm not convinced that it will be any different.

D.
Yep, that sounds mostly like the hardware isn't supported. Age isn't so much of a factor here as finding compatible hardware - once you do, it will be far faster than anything else running on that same hardware. The single biggest difference is getting a supported graphics card, without which you're stuck with VESA display modes which are common to all cards, but are slow and offer limited resolutions and colours. This is most likely your issue...
Old 26 January 2016, 11:24   #7
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yep, that sounds mostly like the hardware isn't supported. Age isn't so much of a factor here as finding compatible hardware - once you do, it will be far faster than anything else running on that same hardware. The single biggest difference is getting a supported graphics card, without which you're stuck with VESA display modes which are common to all cards, but are slow and offer limited resolutions and colours. This is most likely your issue...
Yes, that was my issue. That and the amazing amount of crashing. Tried AROS on an old core2duo laptop with ATI graphics - that one could run the screen at the right resolution and depth, but only got one frame every few seconds which made it kind of hard to use.

Gave up after that!

D.
Old 26 January 2016, 18:26   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
Thank you AMIGASYSTEM! It's great to get a visual comparison like that - much appreciated!

How do you find they differ in terms of functionality and post-installation quirks?
Unfortunately AROS is undergoing structural change, I think this has created some minor discomfort and slowed a little development, i'm not a programmer and I can not explain why, to deepen you can read something here. The old release of Icaros and AspierOS were very stable, but I believe that in the near future also the new versions of the distro will.To start recommend to install the Distro AROS on a virtual machine (VMVare, VirtualBox), i attach some interesting video.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ] (By Paolone Author IcarOS)