English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 07 March 2009, 06:36   #1
Predabot

Deluxe Paint - What can it be used for, and how?

Indeed. I'm looking to make a pretty historical thing... to colour a comic-book page within an Amiga-environment, and the best to do so... seems to be with Deluxe Paint 5.

The question now is... will it be capable of it?? The last version came out in 1994, which was indeed several years after Photoshop 1.0 (1990) and Kaliedoscope (1988, I think) that was used for the first digital comic-book colouring in the world, on the English edition of the manga Akira.

Now, how much meat to its bones does Deluxe Paint have? Does it have layers like Photoshop 3 (1994), something similar to Adjustment Layers like Photoshop 4 (1996), and what is its colour management like? Does it follow the sRGB1966 standard decently, and can it understand the CMYK printing colour-system?

I'm going to guess that it doesn't understand CMYK, since that is fairly rare even to this day.

Any info on the capabilities of Deluxe Paint 5 would be appreciated lads, and of course also on what kind of Amiga that would be "KILLER" to run it on.

I want a super-smooth experience, with the best possible Amiga emulated worthy of the task!

Well of course there's a need for speed as well... so as not to bog down the computer too much, so I suppose one can't go completely wild.

Here's what I'm thinking the config should look like:

A1200 Kickstart 3.1
68060 Cpu
2Mb Chip, 1.5 Mb Slow, 8Mb fast, 64 Mb Z3 Fast Ram

A total of 75.5 Mb Ram!

RTG Graphics Card 32 Mb memory, 8-bit(*), 24-bit.
Max Size HD ( as a folder on me real PC comp, natch)

Can I use the 15/16-bit setting for the G-card instead of the default R5G6B-whatchamacallit? Seems better, but I don't know.

Also, does anyone know where to get all of the Deluxe Paint discs? I can't seem to find them on PLanet Emulation.

And... I don't have to install Workbench and the program itself, do I...? Delving into the murky world of Amiga OS and installed apps is something I have tried to hold off for as long as possible.
Old 07 March 2009, 07:57   #2
vodley
Zone Friend

DPaintV manual here.

http://web.archive.org/web/200202030...s/dpaint51.htm
Old 07 March 2009, 08:07   #3
Amiga1992

Are you masochist?
:P
Layers? What the hell?

If you are masochist, and still want to use an Amiga (god damn , some people!), use Art Department Pro.

You will certainly be remembered in the books of pointless suffering :P
Old 07 March 2009, 08:28   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
Here's what I'm thinking the config should look like:

A1200 Kickstart 3.1
68060 Cpu
2Mb Chip, 1.5 Mb Slow, 8Mb fast, 64 Mb Z3 Fast Ram

A total of 75.5 Mb Ram!
Oh my eyes Don't do that Preadabot! Never mix 3 kinds of extension RAM
What about 2 MB Chip and 128 MB Z3 Fast? A total of 130 MB RAM! WOOT!

Btw : I think Akira has a point there
Old 07 March 2009, 15:56   #5
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
What about 2 MB Chip and 128 MB Z3 Fast? A total of 130 MB RAM! WOOT!
I found some stuff doesn't work if I dont have SOME Fast RAM. Don't ask me why.
Old 07 March 2009, 15:58   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I found some stuff doesn't work if I dont have SOME Fast RAM. Don't ask me why.
Okay, there are maybe some apps that need non-Z3 fast to run, but really never mix slow & fast
Old 07 March 2009, 16:23   #7
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Are you masochist?
:P
Layers? What the hell?

If you are masochist, and still want to use an Amiga (god damn , some people!), use Art Department Pro.

You will certainly be remembered in the books of pointless suffering :P
Phew! DPaint IV (and V) is still very good soft, way better than (for example) Photoshop in terms of user friendly controls and ergonomy. I use it very often, most enjoyable paint program ever. Who needs layers if there is the spare desktop and translucency DPaint is simple and its using is very quick.

BTW Predabot: the other RAM is good for RAMDISK etc, but you still can't use enormous screenmodes like HiGFX, because DPaint is limited with chip (graphic) memory. I am not surre how it is with graphic cards, because I don't have any.
Old 07 March 2009, 17:55   #8
Predabot

Vodley: Thanks, I'll check that manual out!

Akira: No, I'm not masochist, but I want to be the only one in the world that's ever coloured a comic-book page with an Amiga. :P Why would you say Art Department Pro is better btw? I thought Dpaint was the industry standard on the Amiga.

Druid: Good call mate. I'm adjusting the config. How about 2Mb chip and 2Mb Fast, and then 128Mb Z3? Sound better?

Predseda
: You mean the Z3 Ram is useless in this case...? I should be using max amount of Chip and Slow Ram instead? Does anybody have a graphics card and Dpaint?? Does the G-card help any?

Last edited by Predabot; 07 March 2009 at 18:09.
Old 07 March 2009, 17:57   #9
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Phew! DPaint IV (and V) is still very good soft, way better than (for example) Photoshop in terms of user friendly controls and ergonomy.
Seriously, you got to stop right there.
What you say is utter nonsense.
Are you a graphic designer?

Quote:
I use it very often, most enjoyable paint program ever. Who needs layers if there is the spare desktop and translucency
I see you are not.
Also, I would like to see your PhD in user interface design and ergonomics, seeing that you mentioned that...

I use Deluxe Paint nowadays, and in real working situations [not in an avatar that even lacks antialiasing, or other hobby uses, like making lolcat pictures], but I am not a blind person, and my carreer allows me to talk about tools of the trade.

It's NOT a tool for any sort of publishing either, that's why I said, if you are still with this idea for WHATEVER reason, use ART DEPARTMENT PRO and/or its companion photo editing software which name escapes me. The Art Studio? Something like that. Whatever.

You are basically suggesting to use a wrench to eat your dinner.
Seriously.

The right tool for the right job. But if you have no idea of the job, please, do not suggest tools. Do you diagnose people diseases even though you are not a doctor?
Old 07 March 2009, 18:00   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Akira: No, I'm not masochist, but I want to be the only one in the world that's ever coloured a comic-book page with an Amiga.
Sorry to disappoint you, but I bet someone has done it before, I remember seeing lots of coloring done on Amiga, even on animation cells.
Unless you are putting this page on a major comic publisher, I don't see any relevance or "first", since probably someone had the same idea, back in the day, and did it.

If you want to do world exclusives, check the Guiness book of records and set a goal, I don't know. I don't understand this sort of "realization", but that's up to you.

Quote:
Why would you say Art Department Pro is better btw? I thought Dpaint was the industry standard on the Amiga.
The "industry" standard for what?
Pixelling? Right on.

Desktop and major publishing and photo edition? No way.
I been working with the Amiga since 1993 and still do today., I think I know a thing or to about graphics on that platform So if I suggest something...
Old 07 March 2009, 19:35   #11
Predabot

Akira: There is nothing online about anyone ever using an Amiga for comic-book colouring, in fact as far as I can see, from the info directly from the pioneers in the field, it's all been done on DoS/Windows or Apple OS platforms, and it was pretty much exclusively Photoshop and Kaleidoscope in the early 90's.

Photoshop took over the industry around 93-94 ( once you've got layers, there's no going back) when Kaleidoscope wasn't getting upgraded anymore. This was because of new owners that pissed off the main coder. ( it was either rewrite the program from the ground up, or nothing but little tweaks)

If you have proof that Amiga was used for comic-book colouring then I would be very interested in seeing it, but otherwise I will remain sceptical. If you have some proof that Amiga was used for simple pinup and poster-colouring, then sure, I would be interested in knowing about that too, and seeing examples as well, even though it's not quite the same thing as what I intend to use it for.

I don't intend at the moment to use it for a professional publication ( since I'm not a professional artist, sadly...) but it might certainly be used for a published publication. I'm a part of a Fanzine publishing the only Swedish Superhero comics in the world right now.

I read about Dpaint on Wikipedia, and there it indeed stated it was the industry standard, I assumed this meant all graphics, sort of like Photoshop is the supreme industry standard of 2D graphics on the PC/MaC nowadays. This Art Department Pro that you mention sound interesting, but I can't seem to find any kind of information on it whatsoever? There's nothing on Wiki, and the few other hits on Google are either irrelevant or in German...

I have to say, you seem to have a lot of interesting knowledge and experience, but your attitude leaves a lot to be desired. It is very negative and "superior" sounding, almost outright hostile and degrading. :\
Old 07 March 2009, 20:18   #12
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
This Art Department Pro that you mention sound interesting, but I can't seem to find any kind of information on it whatsoever? There's nothing on Wiki, and the few other hits on Google are either irrelevant or in German...
No link to info. on ADpro but you can always give it a try, it is on Magix FTP (check the bottom of this link).
Old 07 March 2009, 20:51   #13
Amiga1992

Quote:
I have to say, you seem to have a lot of interesting knowledge and experience, but your attitude leaves a lot to be desired. It is very negative and "superior" sounding, almost outright hostile and degrading. :\
Fair enough, I'll stop helping you. Take whatever advice I gave you, then, and treasure it for its the last.

Fed up with both the internet dramaqueens who can't take straight tio facts, in your face talk, and people who talk bullshit facts on the internet, like "Deluxe paint is better than Photoshop"... next time I will read about how a Citroen 2CV is better than a Pitts acrobatic dual decker plane.
Old 07 March 2009, 22:40   #14
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
?????????

why would any1 turn some 1 off the most influential art program of all time even though most pc/mac users have never heard of it

and good art can be created without layers

Akira:
I think I`m feeling your ego

Predabot:
You want to sort out installing wb now you have a better config

Last edited by cosmicfrog; 07 March 2009 at 22:45.
Old 07 March 2009, 22:45   #15
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I remember Deluxe paint I used it when i was alot younger and also did some pretty cool stuff with old Photon Paint 2.0.... but i am no professional I killed my old printer years ago in the process
Old 07 March 2009, 23:01   #16
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Quote:
Fair enough, I'll stop helping you. Take whatever advice I gave you, then, and treasure it for its the last.

Fed up with both the internet dramaqueens who can't take straight tio facts, in your face talk, and people who talk bullshit facts on the internet, like "Deluxe paint is better than Photoshop"... next time I will read about how a Citroen 2CV is better than a Pitts acrobatic dual decker plane.
Aren't you the one who act like a drama queen?
Old 07 March 2009, 23:07   #17
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopos2000 View Post
Aren't you the one who act like a drama queen?
Hmmm... nope... I am not crying because someone told me off.
Old 07 March 2009, 23:25   #18
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Quote:
Hmmm... nope... I am not crying because someone told me off.
Just calm down. Chill Take a day off. Life is more importing than computing.
Old 08 March 2009, 00:04   #19
Amiga1992

For sure is!
Old 08 March 2009, 01:11   #20
cv643d

Dpaint was actually used professionally long into the 90'ies, for example in editing textures for Playstation games. So it was kind of industry standard for "multimedia" graphics. For example I once found an ad for someone who knew Dpaint for making multimedia screens at an airport, and that was back in 96.

In terms of userfriendlines and usability, Dpaint blows Photoshop out of the water any day, and yes, you can see my usability/design grades any day too.