English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amix

Old 17 March 2016, 20:15   #1
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

X11R5 and Open Look - the missing font error

Sorry, this won't answer the question in the title if you thought so

Has anybody made any progress on figuring out how to get the Open Look working after installing X11R5? The one that gives out the error about the missing font.

Googling d12lucida.snf reveals nothing, which I think is weird. Why would it be anything special for Amix and not found in any other OpenLook system? Also there seems to be no file with that name on any of the Amix tapes. In fonts.alias file there seems to be some kind of aliasing system related to fonts, could this be just an Amix alias for some font that is there but it's not properly declared?

Also I can't understand why symlinking another font doesn't work (as noth wrote in here).

While I don't have a working image to test this (anyone have a premade disk image to experiment on?), I have been wondering why it doesn't work. As somewhat newbie Unix user, I haven't made any progress on this, but I came across couple of links that I hope somebody else could find useful:

http://physionet.caregroup.harvard.e...wug/node98.htm

A nice, unpublished OpenLook user's guide from 1993:
http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/openlook/
Old 25 March 2016, 16:27   #2
mackbw

It has been a while since I set up my A3000, so I'm a bit fuzzy on what I did, though I do have an actively working installation that can be used as a reference.

I seem to remember copying the Xol font directory from /usr/X/lib/fonts to /usr/X11R5/lib/X11/fonts and that fixed it. Although, in my searches right now - I noticed a file in /usr/X/lib called Xdeffontpath. I'm pretty sure that file is for the X11R4 installation, though I presume there is a similar file somewhere in the X11R5 - (I'm currently running find searches on my Amix installation now). I haven't found an X11R5 file with a similar name.

As for d12lucida.snf, I don't see that in my Xol directory. I see e12lucid.snf in there though.

Before you installed X11R5, did you have X11R4 installed and did you run olinit? The reason I ask is because such is how I installed my X11R5 server on my A3000. As a result, I have a .olsetup file in my home directory. In this file it creates an export variable XWINFONTPATH that includes the Xol font directory. Although those directories seem to be from the X11R4 installation.

There is also a .xinitrc file, in which I have the following line.
xset fp+ /usr/X11R5/lib/X11/fonts/Xol

and then on the following line I invoke
olwsm

In retrospect, copying the Xol directory was probably not the right thing to do / necessary, as that xset line should add the fonts/Xol directory to the font path, and I probably could have referenced the Xol directory from the R4 install.

I am currently trying to install Amix and the R5 Xserver on an Amiga 2000. Unfortunately, the Merlin graphics card I have was never modded and seems to be a problem child. In the process of starting X, it locked up the machine; and in locking the machine it wipes out Xsvgaconfig file. The file is still there, but it's entire contents is deleted. So it may not be a bad idea to copy this file somewhere else for safe keeping.

On the 2000, I tried installing the X11R5 server first, and then installing the Open Look files. Using my Piccolo graphics adapter from the 3000, I was able to get X to work. For Open Look, I copied the Xol font directly which seemed to fix one error (a complaint about not finding fonts) but could not get olwsm to launch. As I had earlier tried to put the Merlin in the 3000 to see if it would work there - and it subsequently blew away my Xsvgaconfig file, (and I didn't know what was going on at the time), it disabled the X11 server on my A3000. So now that I have my A3000 put back together and working, I am reluctant to take the Piccolo out for further experimentation in my A2000. So I'm waiting for another card to come up for sale for my A2000.

Anyway, I know my fixes have been trial and error - and as a result, rather messy. The fix may have been only due to only one of the many things I have done, or they could be the result of a combination of things. Hopefully something in what I wrote is of use.

Regards,

Mack

Old 30 March 2016, 18:59   #3
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

Thanks, Mack!

Err, how did we actually got to that font error state again? After I have installed X11R5, it has removed olinit, and if I install it thrue amixpkg, it complains it can't find libX11.so (same thing with olwsm). I see some linking to that in vintagebytes installX11R5 script but I have no idea how that works.
Old 06 April 2016, 03:10   #4
mackbw

Maybe I'm missing how your installation came together.

In my original installation I installed everything from the Amix 2.1 install tape - then I used the X11R5 installation that can be found here: The Very Unofficial Commodore Amiga Unix (AMIX) Wiki | X11PicassoII. It says Picasso II, but it works with other SVGA adapters, all of which I'm not entirely sure.

You are correct, after that installation, olinit is no longer used. However, in my installation, olinit still exist in the /usr/X/bin directory, which was the original Xwin binary directory. The new directory being in /usr/X11R5…

Looking quickly at my installation, there are a number of places for those libraries. /usr/X/lib (from the old installation), /usr/X11R5/lib (from the new installation), and in /usr/lib. From my installation, in /usr/lib, there are symbolic links to libX files in /usr/X/lib and and few of the ....so.5.0 files in /usr/lib/X11 (which is a symbolic link to usr/X/lib) (There are links all over the place…)

I'm presuming the new /usr/X11R5/bin has been added to "profile" in /etc.

Aside from that… I'm not quite sure. It seems were missing some sort of path to the directory to those libraries. I don't see anything in the user config files.

when you run xinit, do you know which one is running? The one in /usr/X/bin or the one in /usr/X11R5/bin?

In my /usr/X11R5/lib/ there is another directory X11, which also has libX11.so among others which are symbolic links back to some of the …so.5.0 files.

Hope that gives you some avenues to check.

Mack

Old 06 April 2016, 21:00   #5
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

Thanks again, Mack.

Ok, I still need to test what was the crucial step, but I did manage to get this up and running
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ol_color.png
Views:	497
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	48125  

Last edited by Amiga_CDTV; 06 April 2016 at 22:28.
Old 10 April 2016, 17:04   #6
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

Ok, some more notes on the topic.

I managed to go thrue the installation again, in WinUAE. I followed the X11R5 installation instructions on amix.failsure and it works but it's an awful lot of work as it supposes you write the X11R5 tar to tape first and then the script copies the files from there. It's doable in WinUAE but tiresome. Probably it would be easy to make it a simple archive as the one in vintagebytes' site is, but I won't try that with my lowly Unix skills.

I am still not sure if the copying of the Xol directory was required, but at least editing .xinitrc and replacing twm with xset fp+ /usr/X11R5/lib/X11/fonts/Xol and olwsm does get it going.

Now I can run xinit on my root account but on user account it doesn't work (complains on not finding the display session, seems to run the wrong xinit version due to paths being wrong).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ol_color2.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	48156  

Last edited by Amiga_CDTV; 10 April 2016 at 17:26. Reason: typos
Old 20 April 2016, 02:43   #7
mackbw

I've finally gotten my 2000 with GVP accelerator up and running. Unfortunately, I think the accelerator is flakey sometimes, and it was driving me mad thinking that I had an installation error. I'm using an actual tape drive, so the installation process takes a long time. So reinstalling multiple times gets old by the third attempt.

This time, in the .xinitrc I used xset fp+ /usr/X/lib/fonts/Xol (pointed to the default installation path for X11R4) and that worked just find. So no need to copy the directory.

For user accounts other than route… I haven't done this myself, but from what I read, to operate X from other accounts, the home directory of those accounts must each have their own copy of XsvgaConfig in them, and as we're using open look, a .xinitrc file would also need to be in the account with the xset fp+… argument and olwsm. Also, in /etc/profiles, there are actually two PATH statements. one for the root account, and one to be used for other accounts. If you didn't add "/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R5/bin" to both, then the regular user accounts would not have those directories added to the path. You can check whether they are in the users path, when you are logged in as the user of interest, and typing 'echo $PATH' That should print out what is in the user's path. (There may also be another profile file that can be added to the individual account if you want different paths or other settings for particular accounts. - If I remember correctly from my reading, usually unix will look in the user's directory for a settings file, such as a .xinitrc, and it if doesn't fine one, there is a default xinitrc that it goes to, if it can't find that, the program may have its own defaults.)

Hope that helps.

Old 23 April 2016, 20:33   #8
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackbw View Post
I've finally gotten my 2000 with GVP accelerator up and running. Unfortunately, I think the accelerator is flakey sometimes, and it was driving me mad thinking that I had an installation error. I'm using an actual tape drive, so the installation process takes a long time. So reinstalling multiple times gets old by the third attempt.
Respectable mission, there must have been some -moments

Quote:
This time, in the .xinitrc I used xset fp+ /usr/X/lib/fonts/Xol (pointed to the default installation path for X11R4) and that worked just find. So no need to copy the directory.
I am a bit lost on where the files actually are after all the linked directories around the X installation but good to know that there is actually nothing missing, it just needs to be manually set.

Quote:
For user accounts other than route… I haven't done this myself, but from what I read, to operate X from other accounts, the home directory of those accounts must each have their own copy of XsvgaConfig in them, and as we're using open look, a .xinitrc file would also need to be in the account with the xset fp+… argument and olwsm. Also, in /etc/profiles, there are actually two PATH statements. one for the root account, and one to be used for other accounts.
I was indeed missing the second PATH statement, fixing that and copying the XsvgaConfig from root user fixed and now it works on regular user account, too.

Thanks again!

I added some of these tips to the Amix wiki's article on X11PicassoII so hopefully most of this will be available in one place.
Old 24 April 2016, 00:54   #9
Noth

olwm, once you've got it running, does seem a lot smoother and faster than twm. Shame there's barely any apps... I'm trying to find more software that might work but Sun abandoned OpenLook for CDE around 94 and that didn't leave much on the ground as far opensource apps go.

I'm using it in X11R4 (the version for RTG boards other than the A2410), works fine. Funny that xset was all we needed, oh well.

Amiga_CDTV, you don't need to use the tape to install X11R5, just replace the line:

Code:
tar xf /dev/rmt/4h 2>/dev/null
with:

Code:
tar xf X11R5.tar
(or whatever the name of the archive is)

That's all it takes... you have to be in the dir the archive is in of course.
Old 24 April 2016, 14:58   #10
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noth View Post
olwm, once you've got it running, does seem a lot smoother and faster than twm. Shame there's barely any apps... I'm trying to find more software that might work but Sun abandoned OpenLook for CDE around 94 and that didn't leave much on the ground as far opensource apps go.
Yeah, something to run would be great. Any kind of a web browser would be cool, but probably not of any real use today.

As a sidenote, there is a short clip about OpenLook on YouTube: [ Show youtube player ]. There is another 1985 episode of CC about UNIX as well, these are very interesting to watch, as are all of the CC episodes.

Quote:
Amiga_CDTV, you don't need to use the tape to install X11R5, just replace the line:

Code:
tar xf /dev/rmt/4h 2>/dev/null
with:

Code:
tar xf X11R5.tar
(or whatever the name of the archive is)

That's all it takes... you have to be in the dir the archive is in of course.
Ok, thanks. I supposed it could be something pretty easy. Hopefully somebody could make a one-off package with an install script that would install X11R5 and then do the fixes to paths and .xinitrc defaults so it would then work without further ado.

Now the next big mystery would be the scrambled keyboard layout in X...
Old 24 April 2016, 15:14   #11
Noth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga_CDTV View Post
Now the next big mystery would be the scrambled keyboard layout in X...
Funnily enough, the keyboard defaults to US when I use olwm directly via xinit... But this is X11R4. I really need to do a clean install to test all this stuff again.
Old 24 April 2016, 17:02   #12
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

Quote:
I really need to do a clean install to test all this stuff again.
That's the best part, installing it again and again

Some more discoveries: in amixadm's menu of X windows graphical login, it mentions following window managers: OpenLook, Twm, TvTwm and Motif (first three included, last "available").

In the default .xsession file, it mentions that "Motif is available from Digital Micronics, Inc". It includes a XWINFONTPATH setting to the Xol etc. directories, but as I tested it, it didn't work (at least in X11R5), I still needed the xset command.

Also if I use "olwsm &" it opens and closes, if I use just "olwsm" it opens and shows the menus and stays open.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	amixadm_windows.png
Views:	424
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	48252   Click image for larger version

Name:	xsession.png
Views:	444
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	48253  
Old 24 April 2016, 19:26   #13
Noth

Yes I'd noticed the Motif entry in amixadm... Thus one of my threads here asking for anyone who might have the DMI Resolver card to post the accompanying software if at all possible. There's some UseNet posts about mwm working reasonably well out there. Such a shame it wasn't included by default but Commodore had just pulled the plug on the project once 2.1 was released :/
Old 25 April 2016, 16:57   #14
Noth

Something to note is that XV won't run at a resolution higher than 1120x832, which can be a problem for your favourite background...