English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 14 April 2012, 14:19   #1
BippyM
Global Moderator

Where's my Amiga mojo??

Guys,

It seems I have lost my Amiga Mojo.. I am absolutely not interested in the Amiga right now, and this has been ongoing for a good year or more now.

At first I thought it was a phase, but now... Well... I dunno!!

What should I do??
Old 14 April 2012, 14:49   #2
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Modified script from movie "Marked for Death":

"- Do you have a family?
- Yes, Father.
Go to them and leave these things.
Try to find the gentle self inside you. Allow this person to come
back. Then try entering AmigaRealm again to re-gain your lost Mojo"

Old 14 April 2012, 20:43   #3
Gordon
Settler

Ive been through that feeling many times. The feeling will come back. Dont go selling all your amiga stuff, you will regret it.
Old 15 April 2012, 00:00   #4
diablothe2nd

^ agreed.

If you go and sell your stuff, you will more than likely wind up getting that itch more strongly and buying stuff back.

is it just the forum? or everything amiga?

i'm personally finding alot of inspirationg from reading my cu amiga digital magazines cover to cover. a recent in depth look at music creation has me itching to get my amiga up and runnign again.

perhaps you need something fresh and new? or perhaps you need to reignite that warm fuzzy nostalgia from the good old times.

perhaps you just need a break from the forums?
Old 15 April 2012, 06:13   #5
ennio

Perhaps your nostalgia was maximized and it needs some time off from Amiga-related stuff to replenish itself again?
Old 15 April 2012, 07:18   #6
copse

What were the things you last remembered being interested in about the Amiga BippyM?
Old 15 April 2012, 13:49   #7
amigajunkie

Don't worry BippyM, you can't escape the "Amiga Bug" !

Old 15 April 2012, 14:16   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

I have had very little to do with Amiga for the past 1-2yrs. Look how active I am on here. I don't even visit lemon amiga anymore!!

Well we shall see.. I think I'll have a bit of time away from EAB and see how that goes..
Old 15 April 2012, 18:16   #9
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
you're not the only one. I feel myself the same, that's because we can only do with what we have. No one these days would want to code a full game in 680X0.
In this respect, things seems to not be moving ; While i love preservation, and amiga gaming, it's a perpetual back to the past, and it's well known, you need to go forward in life

(Related to what i was saying above about amiga things : What would be good would be creating on PC a tool that would allow on amiga what arcade machine had back in the day : a tile arranger with a 68k code generator.
Imagine : You just define the collision boxes, a graphist bring graphics, and once everything is set in the game, you save and once put on disk, you launch and it's ready to play ) :P
Old 15 April 2012, 19:23   #10
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I work in seasons. I am totally to old computers during the winter (from November to April), but then I absolutelly loose interest and I dedicate all my time to my vintage cars. An on autumt it loops. Every year. This is also why I wanted to speed up the development of Downfall, I was afraid I am almost running out of time.
Old 04 May 2012, 09:08   #11
mikele

I agree, selling Amiga is a bad idea for sure. Not talking about loss of values and memories emulators can't provide in 100%, but rather economical point of view. When you want to buy amiga again, you'll have to pay even more cash. You'd better put your Miggy in the closet.
Old 04 May 2012, 09:56   #12
mombasajoe

Switch to C64 instead. After one year you will want to see cool Amiga GFX again
Old 04 May 2012, 13:24   #13
Big-Byte
Long time member

I lost my Amiga mojo about 5 years ago.. but I still visit here to read about whats going on most days.
Old 04 May 2012, 19:38   #14
ascp
Pastafarian

Take some time off, package up your stuff, leave the forum for a while - it WILL come back, but it may take some years even. I have done like that 3 times now Every time i have sold some stuff and thought that i left it all behind.
Old 04 May 2012, 19:46   #15
Photon

BippyM: I got the tip from Pantaloon that when that happens, switch platforms. I haven't taken his advice yet, despite recognizing some of the symptoms, tsk tsk.

That's for when you spend a lot of time using the platform I guess. Not sure it works for forums about the platform. Maybe it's the charm of forums (be they ever so good) that has worn off a bit?

I guess his advice in that case would be to find another active forum, or maybe start a new one, on a different subject?

I think we all need something that is "keen" or something to get into or get excited about after we come home from work. After a few years of it always turns into either a grind or the object of fierce hate, both of which are absolutely soul-murdering, and we need the antidote.

Hah, bit long speech for "variation is the spice of life", but what the hell.
Old 04 May 2012, 20:27   #16
janikosk

God damn i have this feeling too. I own Cd32 and A1200 with 8mb memory card but is not such fun as Battlefield 3 on Ps3. Maybe i put the amigas in the closet and playing c64 while.
Old 04 May 2012, 20:30   #17
diablothe2nd

what we need is that "magic" back.

I had an idea to go back through the old magazines, one a month from 1992 which will last another 20 years

basically my idea was to select a magazine from each month like this month i'd be looking at what was available for May 1992 and pick only ONE magazine based on the cover/contents and the diskmags... and then doing something with what it comes with.

i've probably missed hundreds of pieces of software over the years and just flicking through what little coverdisk i have always brings back the magic
Old 04 May 2012, 20:40   #18
janikosk

I reading my 20-30year old computer magazines all the time but no help. I think playing some crappy c64 games will be good therapy
Old 04 May 2012, 22:01   #19
mikele

To me the problem is an excess of games easilly accesible, surrounding us - there's WhdLoad, Steam, some clever flash/indie games, XBL, PSN, retro consoles at decent price, not to mention true bargains like full versions of games attached to magazines. Plenty of games, so little time. What's really weird is the fact I've bought full pack of Silent Hill episodes for Ps2 lately, but they rather collect dust due to lack of time/interest. Not much time for Amiga in this fast lane. Life was somewhat easier in the 90s with its limited choices, getting some rare Amiga games were like searching for Holy Grail.
Old 04 May 2012, 22:28   #20
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
what we need is that "magic" back.
That's sadly never going to happen It has to do with a combination of something being new and being very young. As a child computers had this magic, but even when I was a teenager that magic was almost completely gone At my current age, this magic simply doesn't exist anymore

That said, Amiga forever