English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 24 December 2023, 13:31   #1
DaIceMan

Amiga 500 Rev6A 1MB + Ide68k gottago FastRam 8MB + Checkmate

Here's my work-in-progress Amiga 500 rev 6A board 1MB Chip + IDE68k GottaGo FastRAM 8MB in my black Checkmate with Gotek FD running Gayle init patched KS 1.3 (with scsi.device v40.5) on WB 1.3 with a 256MB CF:

Still need to get he gotek drive sorted properly (it's running Flashfloppy) with the oled display on the front panel. Also I am currently using a PS2 keyboard with an adapter board I made with a PIC 16F84 as I haven't found an original Amiga keyboard to box.
I sourced the motherboard from ebay, it was broken and missing Gary and without floppy nor case or keyboard (probably scavenged for parts). It had several faults, the MCU and one CIA were dead and had to replace some glue logic too but luckily the Fat Agnus was ok. I also expanded the chip ram to 1MB. I didn't have a mouse either so I hacked an old PS2 logitech for the quadrature signals though it's sluggish, probably because the wheel density is over double than the standard amiga mouse so moving it fast will result in no movement or even backwards movement, but I have to debug this further with the scope to check if the optos are working as expected. Working on all of this was a lot of fun and brang back memories (I still have my original A500).
I also had prepared an 8GB CF card with the same WB1.3 as on my 256MB one but even if this boots in WinUAE correctly with the same patched KS1.3 it will crash to GURU Meditiation on the real hardware even with all the partitions under 1GB. Probably the Amiga doesn't like the patched KS1.3 with the other FFS version on the Rigid Block to overcome the disk size limit Cylinder Error - no big deal atm.

One note regarding the Ide68K install: if you don't use the extra relocator board, the pins are too short to fit snugly in the CPU socket and it will just pop out (which is why I got the relocator board after reading about the problem). The relocator board has longer pins and they will fit snugly though you will have problems later removing it and putting back the CPU in the original socket as the wipers have been deformed - beware. Also the 2 extra signals needed are connected through little pin grabbers: the ones I got were very flimsy and weren't at all stable as a mere nudge with cause one to disconnect. I will solder the wires directly on the motherboard by exposing the traces where possible or routing longer wires from underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga500_Ide68k_Gottago8MB_Checkmate.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	963.3 KB
ID:	81130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga500 WB13 ide68k.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	956.2 KB
ID:	81131  

Last edited by DaIceMan; 25 December 2023 at 19:39.