English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 July 2009, 14:23   #1
seuden
uber cool demi god

Updating Championship Manager...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Might try and update Championship Manager at the same time...
I was gonna look into maybe doing that, maybe we can update different teams or something, spread the work load?

I was thinking of using the latest Football Manager or Championship Manager 2009 data for the source.

Last edited by seuden; 23 July 2009 at 14:29.
Old 23 July 2009, 15:07   #2
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
I was gonna look into maybe doing that, maybe we can update different teams or something, spread the work load?

I was thinking of using the latest Football Manager or Championship Manager 2009 data for the source.
That sounds like a good idea - if there's two of us doing it then it will be much easier I think.

I don't have the newest FM or CM games though unfortunately. Was gonna do a lot of research on a site like Soccerbase or (ack!) Wikipedia.

Maybe we should have a new thread for this, to avoid it going off the SWOS theme?
Old 23 July 2009, 15:22   #3
seuden
uber cool demi god

Sure.

Break this thread up!!

I'll have the whole day this Saturday to do what I want so I think I'll get started on it then. The reason I was gonna go with FM or the new CM was for passing, tackling, shooting, pace etc stats. Otherwise it'll be guess work on my part.
Old 23 July 2009, 15:30   #4
Graham Humphrey

Okay then, new thread created.

Yes I can see how using the newest games will be useful, would save a lot of work in terms of stats etc. The newest one I've got is FM 2007. I imagine quite a few players' stats will be fairly similar anyway but if I can find a way of getting more up-to-date data then that would be a big help.

Also there's the problem of the League having 92 clubs but CM only has 80 so we'll have to work out which twelve to leave out. I think we'll have to do it quite quickly so we don't end up putting in players that won't be used.
Old 23 July 2009, 15:44   #5
seuden
uber cool demi god

Best thing to do is to leave out the 12 teams that came bottom last season imho, what do you think?

I also think there may be a problem with the players names, it's great that we can rotate them and edit them but that means as soon as you change "Dave" to "John" all the Dave's will become John. I can see this being a problem if there are two people editing the names. I think that's where we need to start, just doing the names of players in each squad, I don't mind doing that unless you would like too. Once that is done both of us can go through changing the stats and player history etc.
Old 23 July 2009, 16:51   #6
Graham Humphrey

Yep - I assume you mean leave out the teams that finished in the bottom half of League Two - that will probably be the easiest option. Will still have to do a bit of juggling in terms of who goes in what division though but that can wait for a bit.

As you'll get some time to spend doing this before me it'll probably be easier if you go through editing the names. Then we came go on from there. Also what version of the game are going to edit - '93 or '94? Doesn't really bother me either way.
Old 23 July 2009, 17:10   #7
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Yep - I assume you mean leave out the teams that finished in the bottom half of League Two - that will probably be the easiest option. Will still have to do a bit of juggling in terms of who goes in what division though but that can wait for a bit.

As you'll get some time to spend doing this before me it'll probably be easier if you go through editing the names. Then we came go on from there. Also what version of the game are going to edit - '93 or '94? Doesn't really bother me either way.
Well there's 93, 93/94 and EOS, hehe. I think I'd rather start with the 93/94 season. So I'll go with that.
Old 23 July 2009, 21:13   #8
Graham Humphrey

Cool, that's fine.

Actually, as I won't get the chance to really properly look until about Sunday anyway, I might as well spend valuable work time tomorrow trying to sort out what teams should go in what leagues (I wonder why the programmers went for 20 teams in each league anyway?).
Old 23 July 2009, 21:19   #9
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Goodbye Magpies!!!!! Waaahhh!!!
Old 24 July 2009, 13:32   #10
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Cool, that's fine.

Actually, as I won't get the chance to really properly look until about Sunday anyway, I might as well spend valuable work time tomorrow trying to sort out what teams should go in what leagues (I wonder why the programmers went for 20 teams in each league anyway?).
Cool.

I suppose they went for the 20 teams in each league 'cos it was easier to program or something.

I'm gonna use the following sps versions;

1662 Championship Manager '93
2742 Championship Manager '94 Season Data Disk

before I do, I'm struggling to install them to hd using WinUAE. Is this something that you can do then email me the folder? That way we're both using the exact same data. Or shall I just create new 93/94 disks (.adf) and email you them?
Old 24 July 2009, 13:47   #11
Graham Humphrey

Yes I saw that thread. It's going to be important to make sure we're using the same data, so I will try and have a go at installing the IPFs if you like, but won't be until late tonight I suspect.

I do have '94 installed on my Amiga but it was from a cracked version and it didn't have a 'proper' install program or anything. So I don't know if that makes any difference at all.
Old 24 July 2009, 14:10   #12
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Yes I saw that thread. It's going to be important to make sure we're using the same data, so I will try and have a go at installing the IPFs if you like, but won't be until late tonight I suspect.

I do have '94 installed on my Amiga but it was from a cracked version and it didn't have a 'proper' install program or anything. So I don't know if that makes any difference at all.
I've done it!!

I installed it with the option of only 1 save game and it seemed to work fine. If you PM me your email addy I'll email you the folder.

EDIT: Ignore that, still don't work. I think it has something to do with the font.

Last edited by seuden; 24 July 2009 at 14:17.
Old 24 July 2009, 14:41   #13
Graham Humphrey

My email address is in my profile - I use it for MSN too so feel free to just bung the folder to that if you do manage to get it working correctly.
Old 24 July 2009, 15:15   #14
seuden
uber cool demi god

Ok I've sent it to your email address. Let me know you can load from it ok.

EDIT: I've just had another thought that we're gonna be up shit creek without a paddle because most teams these days have shed loads of foreign players which is gonna screw us when it comes to playing European competitions because the 4 foreigners rule. I wonder if ronnie136 found anything in the code which we could change to allow more Foreigners? If not, The only way round it would be to make them all English, which would be shit imo.

Last edited by seuden; 24 July 2009 at 16:44.
Old 25 July 2009, 00:47   #15
Graham Humphrey

Just tried it, can't get past the protection screen, no codes

It does load up and everything so I can't see any reason why it won't work.

Yes I did wonder about the foreign problem - I can't see much of a way round it other than to make most of them English which is far from ideal. Also am I right in thinking it isn't possible to directly swap teams from one division to another?
Old 25 July 2009, 00:51   #16
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Just tried it, can't get past the protection screen, no codes

It does load up and everything so I can't see any reason why it won't work.

Yes I did wonder about the foreign problem - I can't see much of a way round it other than to make most of them English which is far from ideal. Also am I right in thinking it isn't possible to directly swap teams from one division to another?
Yeah, you cannot swap teams either. You can edit team names, kits, stadium names etc so there may be a way round that.

There must be something in the code that switches off or something when England is chosen?
Old 25 July 2009, 00:58   #17
Graham Humphrey

Yes, but aren't you limited to the number of letters you can use depending on the team? E.g. for Barnet, you can edit the name but only up to a maximum of five letters? Likewise the ground names. Have I understood it right? Seems like the developers of the game really did it in a short-sighted way and never really designed for it to be edited.

Hmm, I wonder if one of our more technically minded members could find a way of 'disabling' the foreign limitations in the code? It must surely just be something that checks how many foreigners you have selected in your team so might be a relatively simple task - clearly I am not in a position to judge that however. But if we could get round that somehow that's probably one of the biggest problems out of the way.
Old 25 July 2009, 06:10   #18
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Maybe we should have a new thread for this, to avoid it going off the SWOS theme?
I have a dream: project.FMDB - Football Management(game) Database.

Mission: to maintain a detailed up-to date database of international football fixtures for use in (Amiga) Footy Management Sims. And maybe tutorials for updating program data.

Soccerbase is a handy link. But seems to be very UK-centric.
Old 28 July 2009, 10:41   #19
Graham Humphrey

Sorry for the delay in sorting this out - I've done a bit of thinking and this is how provisionally I think the divisions should be sorted out...

Premier League

Arsenal
Aston Villa
Birmingham
Blackburn
Bolton
Burnley
Chelsea
Everton
Fulham
Hull
Liverpool
Man City
Man Utd
Portsmouth
Stoke
Sunderland
Tottenham
West Ham
Wigan
Wolves

Division One

Blackpool
Bristol City
Cardiff
Coventry
Crystal Palace
Derby
Doncaster
Ipswich
Leicester
Middlesbrough
Newcastle
Peterborough
Preston
QPR
Reading
Sheff Utd
Sheff Wed
Swansea
Watford
West Brom

Division Two

Barnsley
Brentford
Bristol Rovers
Charlton
Colchester
Exeter
Huddersfield
Leeds
Leyton Orient
Millwall
MK Dons
Norwich
Nottm Forest
Oldham
Plymouth
Scunthorpe
Southampton
Southend
Tranmere
Walsall

Division Three

Bradford
Brighton
Bury
Carlisle
Cheltenham
Chesterfield
Crewe
Dagenham & Redbridge
Darlington
Gillingham
Hartlepool
Hereford
Morecambe
Northampton
Rochdale
Shrewsbury
Stockport
Swindon
Wycombe
Yeovil

(With apologies to fans of Accrington, Aldershot, Barnet, Bournemouth, Burton, Grimsby, Lincoln, Macclesfield, Notts County, Port Vale, Rotherham and Torquay)

The Premier League was obviously the easiest, but the for Divisions One and Two I decided I wanted a couple of the promoted sides in there so relegated two further sides from their actual division. How feasible this will all be bearing in mind we can't properly swap teams into different leagues remains to be seen. If it needs to be changed a little to make it easier then that's fine.
Old 28 July 2009, 11:22   #20
seuden
uber cool demi god

Hehe, nice to Gillingham there.

That's fine by me tbh. We need to get the teams sorted before we start with the players as I don't want to spend time changing the players for a team only then for me to find out I need to change the team name. I'll go through the teams that are currently in each league on cm and swap some names around, I'll let you know how I get on.

EDIT:

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder if one of our more technically minded members could find a way of 'disabling' the foreign limitations in the code? It must surely just be something that checks how many foreigners you have selected in your team so might be a relatively simple task - clearly I am not in a position to judge that however. But if we could get round that somehow that's probably one of the biggest problems out of the way.
I think you're right and it would be great if someone could but again I am also not in a position to judge how easy it would be. There must be a setting or something that when choosing anything other than England as the Country of the player it triggers it.

Last edited by seuden; 28 July 2009 at 11:29.