English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 September 2016, 20:00   #41
AMIGASYSTEM

If its interesting to someone floppy created by DamienD also work on A500Plus and A600 with 4MB Fast RAM.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 16 September 2016 at 20:58.
Old 16 September 2016, 20:11   #42
DamienD
Banned

Cheers for the information AMIGASYSTEM; didn't actually test with the configuration you've specified via WinUAE

I will say that it does actually run with lower specs to what I thought AGA wise (considering files are extracted / run from RAM):

An "A1200 - 2MB Chip & 2MB Fast RAM configuration" will suffice also
Old 16 September 2016, 21:06   #43
amiman99

For lower spec Amiga try to use the CD32 version of the game. I made the playing screen smaller and removed the water animations, so it should be quicker.
Old 16 September 2016, 21:49   #44
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Thank you DamienD, I did a test and you can rest quietly on 2 Floppy without the aid of LZX, just compress the game with Powerdata. Only problem is that the game does not require floppy 2 when looking for files from the second floppy.

- The game may not run on A500 because Kick1.3 It does not support lowlevel.library, it is instead supported by Kick2.0 and higher.

- Command CD on Kick2.0 and higher is resident, no need to copy it to C: floppy

I hope it is acceptable as written
That very Interesting to me, AmigaSystem.
Have you got a link for Powerdata?
Any chance that you could upload the 2 disks that you made with Powerdata?

Nice work amiman99 & Damien
Old 16 September 2016, 23:56   #45
AMIGASYSTEM

Hello Arnie, then Power Data is a commercial program that I have for so many years and it serves to compress data onlyi (images, music, icons, databases etc..) you can not compress executables that instead can be compressed with PowerPacker. The data in the system will boot automatically unpacked by a utility called PPLoadSeg to put on top of the startup-sequence, and a library called PowerPacker library to put into libs.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 17 September 2016 at 16:25.
Old 17 September 2016, 00:13   #46
DamienD
Banned

Agreed Arnie; this is very interesting indeed and could revolutionise the way in which I create these "HD install" --> "ADFs" packages. Though of course extra work needed but once created, all good

...I mean if all files can be compressed them maybe there's no need to unpack to RAM: (and even if there is the footprint is reduced so lower specs needed)
Old 17 September 2016, 00:57   #47
AMIGASYSTEM

DamienD is not as easy as it seems, experience for you What I can say most of the Amiga games are already compressed, this is due to the little floppy space used by many models AMiGA, with A4000 instead there are the HD floppy, I've also an external, in this case the game Marco Marco Gregorio's It would enter perfectly.

There is also the ability to create virtual bootable floppy from Hardisk or RAM as shown in my old video attached below,but to do this you have to have a lot of RAM or Hard Disk.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 September 2016, 01:20   #48
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
DamienD is not as easy as it seems, experience for you What I can say most of the Amiga games are already compressed, this is due to the little floppy space used by many models AMiGA, with A4000 instead there are the HD floppy, I've also an external, in this case the game Marco Marco Gregorio's It would enter perfectly.
Oh I'm quite aware of this... Definitely not as easy as what it seems, and in some cases as you say, there's nothing you can do as the original programmers have already used all tricks available

There's been a few times that I tried compacting EXE files and it's failed with 4 out of 5 (or even 5 out of 5) programs that I've used.

...but then, also as you've mentioned, there are occasions that maybe some form of compression can work. Trial and error at the end of the day I guess

Just like with the "Moon Child" disks I created and you gave great suggestions with. I had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get the size down:

... Split / join.
... Compress (you used "PowerPacker" but this was always unsuccessful for me so ended up using "CrunchyDat").

Again, thanks for all your input. It's great to try new technics. Yes, it may take a few hours and at the end still fail but all good
Old 17 September 2016, 01:35   #49
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Any chance that you could upload the 2 disks that you made with Powerdata?
Here They Are

EDIT:

I remembered that it is not "PPLoadSeg" the command to use in the startup, but you have to put "PowerData", "PPLoadSeg" you have to use it when you compress executables with PowerPacker. Soon as possible to do new tests with floppy and make my videos.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 17 September 2016 at 14:33.
Old 17 September 2016, 10:34   #50
AMIGASYSTEM

Did the test and the game starts though packed with Powerdata, only problem is that the "Moduli Music" if compressed with powerdata on will not be recognized by the game, tried to compress the modules even with PowerPacker and the problem remains.
Old 17 September 2016, 13:10   #51
AMIGASYSTEM

Well the problem MOD solved, used PPatcher in startup-sequence, you can now also be compacting audio files MOD. Marco Gregorio's Adventures Now you could fit everything on a HD floppy and run with base A1200 (2MB RAM).
Old 17 September 2016, 13:27   #52
DamienD
Banned

Wow, well done AMIGASYSTEM!!!

...now I just need to learn how you did all this.
Old 17 September 2016, 15:26   #53
AMIGASYSTEM

Nothing has changed from the procedure video, Just add the PP command (PPatcher) in cima alla startup-sequence, I enclose Floppy "HD" Bootable for high-density players.

EDIT

New Video Tutorial Added
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 05 October 2016 at 20:05.