English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 January 2015, 20:43   #21
Toni Galvez

Thank you very much, is fantastic to meet you here Amiga lives!!!!
Old 07 January 2015, 22:41   #22
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Galvez View Post
Some more details about my interests:

I like to develop for Amiga 500 (for floppy, hard disc or CF cards on aca500).

I hate when a game uses only sound effects or only music, I like both sound at once, 3 channels for music and 1 for sound effects, if you want to make 4 channel music, I preffer to remove bass sound when a sound effect needs to work.

I preffer to use 16 colors on good speed and smooth movements than 32 colors on slow motion (this not mean I hate 32 colors, some games accept 32 colors, some not).

I like the hardware sprites use for the main character and bullets.

I like the Blitz Basic and ASM power, I do not like AMOS.
I like to develop for AGA but i can do OCS/ECS just as well i suppose.

I agree on every other point. I used to code in AMOS when i was learning, but now i code in ASM and only use AMOS to assist in development (it is fast to get simple things quickly, processing sound effects for example, and as a test bench for ASM code).
Old 07 January 2015, 23:27   #23
ovale

Quote:
Maybe a litle vertical scroll space shooter for start.
What about Truxton/Tatsujin?
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 January 2015, 11:01   #24
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
*drooling* Yes tatsujin is a great shooter. I would _love_ to see this one done on amiga.
Old 08 January 2015, 11:44   #25
Toni Galvez

When I was playing Mega Typhoon, I realize that Amiga 500 can do Tatsujin or Raiden, but I must admit that MT uses ECS Amigas and no music+SFX.

All the arcades needs music+SFX. Aniway, I should make first a small vertical shooter inspired in STAR FORCE (with 4 bitplane main scroll and 1 bitplane background scroll and some HW sprites for the stars). The game has to be fast like hell but for OCS 512+512 standar Amigas.
Old 08 January 2015, 11:53   #26
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
*drooling* Yes tatsujin is a great shooter. I would _love_ to see this one done on amiga.
Nice one...

Quote:
I think I should make something original, but with japanese arcade taste.
Sorry but how "original" can a shooter be?
Do you have any brilliant new idea for the gameplay?

It's true it dosn't need the arcade gfx set of a specific title but it has to resemble the arcade flair with big guns and a lot of sprites and color.
And of course music and sound FX simultaneously.

Just take some inspiration from the posts here and do what ever you like.
Old 08 January 2015, 12:09   #27
Toni Galvez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sykes View Post
Nice one...

It's true it dosn't need the arcade gfx set of a specific title but it has to resemble the arcade flair with big guns and a lot of sprites and color.
And of course music and sound FX simultaneously.

Just take some inspiration from the posts here and do what ever you like.
Original in name, visual and audio, designs made by me, not riped from some arcade. The gameplay, of course will be the same.
Old 08 January 2015, 14:30   #28
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

It's possible to have a single innovation in a shmup or at least a novelty or two.

Shield pick-up: Lasts for a limited duration- Surrounds the ship and deflects enemy bullets back at the enemies.- Useful when there are lot's of enemies on-screen.

Anyhow good luck with the shmup and I hope someone here takes you up on the offer to code this.
Old 08 January 2015, 14:47   #29
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
... or a powerup that causes the ground to raise up and wipe out all enemies.
... or a powerup that bolts two enemies sprites to your ship as extra guns.
... or a powerup that lets you wind back time by 5 seconds after a death.
Old 08 January 2015, 16:10   #30
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I always thought Truxton should had got a port on Amiga. It was perfectly doable

A shmup it's always the best thing to start coding games IMO (Or learning a language specifically to make games), the mechanics of a shmup are usualy very easy to code, but you can always do some good level/enemy design , some scoring gimmick and ending up with a good game.
Old 08 January 2015, 19:57   #31
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
I think by "original" is meant "not a conversion".

I wouldn't even try to be too original with this type of game. Stick to the tried and tested! But maybe we could use some imagination with strange weapons types or something. I did like the way you could choose your ship type and equip it at the start of X out. But i wouldn't care if there were no surprises.

Last edited by TCD; 08 January 2015 at 20:08. Reason: Added a missing quote bracket
Old 08 January 2015, 20:00   #32
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
I think by "original" is meant "not a conversion".

I wouldn't even try to be too original with this type of game. Stick to the tried and tested! But maybe we could use some imagination with strange weapons types or something. I did like the way you could choose your ship type and equip it at the start of X out. But i wouldn't care if there were no surprises.
Yup, stick to the tried and tested formula but give the weapons a unique look and feel, though ultimately they will behave as weapons you would have in most shmups.

It's hard enough to get a game completed let alone choosing to innovate as well, at least that's what i learned the hard way.
Old 08 January 2015, 23:13   #33
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

I was really thinking about something new when I asked what was meant by "original". So here is some inspiration....

Something 'original' could be that you see the ship from above and it starts as a horizontal scroller but at some point in the level you hold space or button2 and can(in fact have to) rotate the ship because it becomes a vertical scroller.
Maybe even some diagonal parts and the ship is rotated by the game itself.

I bet it has been done before but that would be so cool.

I hate for example the unidirectional flight level in Turrican 2, for the fact that I can not rotate the ship. It would be so much cooler if we could.
But the idea of having both H+V scrolling in a shmup was great.
And to be honest I can't rememer any other game using that method atm.
There are some that come to my mind with twinstick/unidirectional shooting,though.

That brings up another idea. A two player mode where one is in control of the ship and the second player can control a turret(upgradeable) and some secondary weapon like homing missiles which can be collected during the game by player one. They could be stored in an item database and the second player can select them via F-keys depending on the enemy.
Different collected mainweapons could be selected via the number keys.

I think there are enough one direction button mashers with masses of enemies out there. So I would really appreciate something with a unique feature in the shooter gengre. The shop system mentioned by Mrs Beanbag would make the game more interesting,too.
Old 08 January 2015, 23:29   #34
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

also there was Blood Money where sometimes the scrolling would go in a different way.

also there was Xenon (1) where you could press space and turn into a tank and it was no longer forced scrolling. also on Xenon 2 you could push the scrolling backwards.

also there was Saint Dragon where you had a tail that followed you that you could use as a shield.

also i had a certain amount of fun back in the day with an 8-way scrolling space shooter called Cosmic Pirate. Which does give me an idea for another game.

also there was Jeff Minter's Grid Runner where you played with the mouse and could leave a little shooting "hat" anywhere on the screen.

but it would be nice just to do a bog standard horizontal shooter without having to think too much. for my next project i want something really simple, but just do it really well. the Amiga has enough examples of over-ambitious projects that didn't really work for one reason or another.

but i do have ideas. such as maybe a limited amount of choice in the path through the game, perhaps by choosing left or right paths through a level affects where you go next. or some sort of strategy screen where you choose which planet to attack next.

shops have really been done to death by now though, and it never really made much sense to me that the enemies would be full of coins.

actually i just remembered an idea i did have a while ago that could be quite fun - to put the player's ship and the "outrider" accessory in a sort of physical relationship so you can swing it around like a mace by moving around in a circle, so you can whack things with it in a controlled way.

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 08 January 2015 at 23:37.
Old 09 January 2015, 00:17   #35
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
...such as maybe a limited amount of choice in the path through the game, perhaps by choosing left or right paths through a level affects where you go next.
If you mean like in Outrun I totaly aree. I think it would make a game more interactive because you can choose your own path.
Lets say after a bossfight you can select the easy or the hard way. But there has to be some reward if you take the hard way.
Like an alternate ending or better weapons at the beginning when you finish the game at least once on hard.
Maybe just bigger levels. That would be a reward and make the game harder.

Seems also much more realistic than my above thoughts

I think my brain is still somewhat on phantasy island...
Can network support be implemented for international highscores(if someone could host them)? It would encourage you to take the hard way.
I guess this will be illusive of course for a single disk selfbooting game.
Old 09 January 2015, 00:20   #36
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
I guess this will be illusive of course for a single disk selfbooting game.
oh i don't know about that... i found filling one disk quite difficult last time
Old 09 January 2015, 00:35   #37
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Oh I was thinking about all the differnt network solutions on the Amiga. ^^
But I hope you see the potential in motivating the player if he/she is able to compete with other gamers around the world.
And it would give a retro game a fresh side note.
Old 09 January 2015, 11:11   #38
Toni Galvez

Who said Outrun?
Click image for larger version

Name:	car_full.png
Views:	163
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	42754

Name:	Escudo-32col.png
Views:	159
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	42755

Name:	Music-select-32-colours_cooper.png
Views:	172
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	42756

Long time ago, I was looking for someone that hacks Lotus 2 engine to try to make a decent Outrun version with it.
Old 09 January 2015, 13:18   #39
Gzegzolka

Amiga Outrun look awful if You have seen orginal on arcade and than Lotus on Amiga. Lotus engine could be good choice - it's fast and smooth, but Outrun got some feauteures like big roads with two sides, different colour for road sides (sand and sea) or giant palm tree sprites. I wonder how Core's Jaguar done that tricks with changing scenery?