mombasajoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Or MP3, for MAS-Player owners (like me)
Or a mod-selector
Old 20 April 2012, 17:41   #362
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

I found some parts to correct in the current tune, will be done, and yes, the new music can be used for the title screen. I'm on it...
Old 20 April 2012, 20:04   #363
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
I would keep the ingame music as is and add a new intro tune instead. I like playing with that current music.
Depends how it fits I suppose. Some tunes are better suited to in-game than others. Of course anybody can change it round by renaming the files

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegiant89 View Post
i hope this will work on an unexpaned a1200, i'v never been able to afford a ram expansion
Certainly should do. At least that is what I'm aiming for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombasajoe View Post
Or a mod-selector
Funnily enough this has been suggested. I'd need to find a way to implement it and I'd need to have a whole load of tunes written for the game so they can be selected via a key, or a press on a CD32 joypad. It's a nice idea but it will need a lot of work to be included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
I found some parts to correct in the current tune, will be done, and yes, the new music can be used for the title screen. I'm on it...
Great, thanks! A lot of people like the current tune so I'm sure you can do a good job with this one too
Old 22 April 2012, 22:10   #364
Graham Humphrey

Here's the first AGA WIP!

As you will see, the game itself is identical. There are several cosmetic changes but I will leave you to spot them yourselves

As ever, source is included which is largely similar but it might be a good way of learning how to use additional AGA effects (albeit pretty simple ones).

There are one or two rough edges - namely the problems with the text printing on the title and high score screens. These will be fixed soon.

Other than that, let me know what you think and if you find any problems.
Attached Files
File Type: lha DownfallAGAWIP1.LHA (293.3 KB, 130 views)
Old 22 April 2012, 23:38   #365
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Wow! It looks just great now!

I found a little bug, or maybe it was an initial idea, i dont know: if the fruits are multiplied by the level number in 1-10, the variable is resetted after I enter new level pack. I think this could be adjusted as it is a bit dissapointing, that I get 1000pts per fruit in level 10, but only 100 per fruit in level 11.

BTW the problem that game starts without the button is pressed still remains, it happened me twice during one play! I will try to use another joy, but I dont think it is the HW problem.

Last edited by Predseda; 22 April 2012 at 23:56.
Old 23 April 2012, 09:22   #366
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
I found a little bug, or maybe it was an initial idea, i dont know: if the fruits are multiplied by the level number in 1-10, the variable is resetted after I enter new level pack. I think this could be adjusted as it is a bit dissapointing, that I get 1000pts per fruit in level 10, but only 100 per fruit in level 11.
Not a bug When you get past level ten the counter resets to level one (technically level 11 doesn't exist). The points awarded are 100 multiplied by the level number so therefore it will go back to 100. I don't think this is really a problem, otherwise some really silly scores will be possible.

Quote:
BTW the problem that game starts without the button is pressed still remains, it happened me twice during one play! I will try to use another joy, but I dont think it is the HW problem.
Again I cannot recreate this problem and there is nothing in the code to suggest this could happen.
Old 23 April 2012, 09:26   #367
mihcael
Zone Friend

Looks really nice, will have to try again later when its no so bright in here (background was hard to see)
Old 23 April 2012, 09:50   #368
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
I don't think this is really a problem, otherwise some really silly scores will be possible.
I agree partially, but on the other hand it could be a reward for the player that he got so far. We have now 6 positions on counter, which means up to 999.999 score. I know there is John4p but still I think the counter is big enough.

We should wait for feedback from players if they are satisfied with it in its current form or not.
Old 30 April 2012, 22:35   #369
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Not a bug When you get past level ten the counter resets to level one (technically level 11 doesn't exist). The points awarded are 100 multiplied by the level number so therefore it will go back to 100. I don't think this is really a problem, otherwise some really silly scores will be possible.
I agree. The earlier levels are easier too, so I don't feel that it's that much of a problem.

There is one annoying thing though... when one of the level 9's get's matched with one of the level 10's I believe it is impossible to do. You end up running from one side of the screen and back, and back the other way, and back again and oh dear... I hit the top of the screen before I can make it.
I have only had it happen once so far. Has anyone else found this?

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 01 May 2012, 08:39   #370
mihcael
Zone Friend

I got the impression that the levels are randomly selected as a set of ten, not randomly after each level. The last set of 10 i made was the hardest.

I did test them all (briefly, if i can do it once someone should be able to master it). So they should be hard but definitely be possible.
Old 01 May 2012, 08:59   #371
Graham Humphrey

No, they're not randomly selected as a set. They're randomly selected after each level.

I will do some more work on the AGA version soon. Been a bit busy of late and as the ECS version has already been completed the urgency isn't really the same.
Old 01 May 2012, 11:34   #372
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
...when one of the level 9's get's matched with one of the level 10's I believe it is impossible to do. You end up running from one side of the screen and back, and back the other way, and back again and oh dear...
Quote:
No, they're not randomly selected as a set. They're randomly selected after each level....
I will have a look at this and see if i need to make a little adjustment.
Old 01 May 2012, 12:23   #373
whitegiant89
Lone CBM user

Send a message via MSN to whitegiant89
i've transfered the aga wip to my a1200 it works but have had no time to realy play it yet
Old 07 May 2012, 09:59   #374
fishyfish
Banned

I admire your persistance there guys. For me one of the hardest things in regards to programming is keeping motivation beyond a "proof of concept" type stage.

Just a thought, but any chance of a system friendly version? This way you could play it in a window as a "Workbench" game. Not to mention OS4/MOS/Amithlon/etc owners could join in the fun It also potentially allows for some more eye candy (rtg screenmodes+color depths).
Could be interesting learning to use more Amiga mode stuff with blitz too if that tickles your fancy

Anyway, just a thought, feel free to shoot it down
Old 07 May 2012, 10:47   #375
Graham Humphrey

Thanks Work has been a bit slower with the AGA version but it's difficult to keep that intensity going for too long. Also when the game has already been finished it does give less incentive to just do another version of the same game.

No system-friendly version, sorry I can only write games for what I own and all that stuff doesn't really interest me. I like using the Amiga's hardware and it is my intention to write games that use it like back in the day!
Old 10 May 2012, 09:26   #376
Graham Humphrey

Actually did some work on this last night, and I've now coded a feature which changes the background colour after every three levels completed. Predseda has given me five different palettes so the game selects one at random each time. This adds nothing to the gameplay but it looks a bit more interesting at least.

Things left to do:

- Making the 'music on/off' routine a bit less sensitive (should be reasonably straightforward)
- Add CD32 pad support so you can pause, quit game etc using the pad (again, easy enough)
- Change the highscore input routine so a joystick/pad can be used to enter your name as well as your keyboard (probably the hardest bit for me, not looking forward to this one)
- Add extra music (when it's done)

And of course, release the 1.1 ECS version with updated music routine.
Old 10 May 2012, 11:48   #377
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Looking forward to that. Looks my work is already finished, maybe some minor adjustments will occur. I would maybe change platform graphics a little and maybe replace fruits with gems just to let the game look a bit different to ECS, but it would mean additional sprite grabbing for you.
Old 10 May 2012, 20:17   #378
Graham Humphrey

I must admit I like the game as it looks right now. I don't think new platforms/fruit are really necessary and is more work on top of everything else.

To be totally honest, actually, I'm kinda regretting the whole AGA idea at the minute. After putting so much time and work into the project on an almost daily basis in the end, it does take it out of you somewhat. Thankfully the list of things to do is getting smaller
Old 10 May 2012, 20:48   #379
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Do not regret anything. The AGA version is just great in comparison to the old one, but of course we had to start somehow. I think our next project should be directly AGA only.
Old 10 May 2012, 22:24   #380
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

I agree with you Graham, there are times during projects where I feel like giving up. At those times I usually take a break (play a game, mess about with Wings 3D or POV-Ray, or something else) and come back refreshed a few days later.

Regards,
Lonewolf10