English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 30 March 2006, 21:35   #1
dilinger
Zone Friend

Quit to Workbench Problem (PrtSc)

Hi!

I've just installed WHDLoad for the first time today and everything seems to be working great, apart from ONE thing...

I can't quit back to the Workbench from ANY game I've tried so far. When I press PrtSc the game aborts but does not show the WB, only a blank black screen. I can hear the sound of the familiar floppy-drive clicking, so I'm guessing it has had some success in restoring the OS, I just can't *SEE* it on my monitor.

Could this be some problem with the Amiga switching between higher and lower-res screen modes? Is there some driver I need to install?

Any help / ideas would be much appretiated.

Sys specs:

OS3.9
A1200/Bliz060/SCSI/128 Meg RAM
MicroVitec GPM 1701 Multisync Monitor
Old 30 March 2006, 23:36   #2
dilinger
Zone Friend

UPDATE: This could possibly be a bug with the latest build on WHDLoad.de site (build: 16.5.xxx). I installed an older version (build: 16.4.3761) which I had on my PC harddrive and the games now exit to WB properly.
Old 31 March 2006, 02:01   #3
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Hmm, I'm not having the problem on a very similar setup. Do you have any other programs running? What screenmode are you using?
Old 31 March 2006, 13:19   #4
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Try '*' on the numeric pad.

I use WinUAE on my laptop and every 'PrtSc' exit key is mapped to '*'. Not sure why, but I don't complain, as it works.
Old 31 March 2006, 19:49   #5
Ironclaw
Banned

Or just remap it... change the key to another one.
Old 01 April 2006, 08:22   #6
dilinger
Zone Friend

Thanks fellas...

The problem is not to do with the key mappings, they are working fine. The games do actually quit when I hit */PrtSc. The problem is that WHDLoad is not restoring the WB screen properly, at least not when I use build 16.5.xxx. However, v16.4 returns from games without troubles.

Obviously there has been some change to the code of WHDLoad since v16.4 which doesn't go down well with my particular setup. Trouble is trying to discover exactly what is causing it. :-) As far as I know, my setup is not out of the ordinary and I make a point of keeping all my system files up-to-date...so it's strange.

If anyone has anymore guesses on this, please post because I'm clean out of ideas!
Old 01 April 2006, 11:39   #7
fc.studio
Cat lover

I had the same problem with WhdLoad 16.5 but not for all games. I use DBLPAL screen mode. WhdLoad 16.4 works without problems.
Old 01 April 2006, 16:47   #8
dilinger
Zone Friend

fc.studio: well, it's good to know I'm not the only person with the problem

My screenmode is set to EURO Prod @ 8 colours. I also have the VGAonly driver in devs/monitors. I did try running it from a basic 320*256 WB screen and had the same problem.

Anyway, I have just emailed a report to wepl. Just so they're aware of this.

Last edited by Paul; 01 April 2006 at 19:22. Reason: deleted email address as search bots could index address to send spam
Old 01 April 2006, 23:06   #9
BarrySWE
Zone Friend

I'm using the newest beta , and i haven't notice any problem with quiting
Old 02 April 2006, 11:00   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Barry, you are using an Amiga 030? They are using WinUAE's 040 emulation or an 060. Perhaps it is that?
Old 02 April 2006, 15:28   #11
Wepl

I suggest to delete the pirated keyfile you are using and all will work fine...
Old 02 April 2006, 18:14   #12
dilinger
Zone Friend

ahh, yes. I have tried a 16.5 keyfile and it now works well. As I said in my mail to you Wepl: "Once I have everything working I plan to certainly buy the key.file to help supprt work on this."

So you should have my PayPal payment for my own 16.5 keyfile.
Old 30 April 2006, 12:25   #13
BippyM
Global Moderator

I can't believe you used a pirated keyfile and then complained/asked for help when whdload wasn't working!

There was absolutely no reason in using a pirate keyfile to test if WHDLoad is working properly. Your argument is a load of crap too tbh!

I'm pleased you have seen the light and actually registered, but in all fairness I think this is because wepl sussed you (Maybe I am wrong tho)...
Old 30 April 2006, 15:24   #14
dilinger
Zone Friend

I was not complaining in the slightest. I simply asked a neutral question regarding a problem I was having with a piece of software. I also don’t see where you saw an “argument” from me in this thread either? If you somehow think I was trying to justify having the keys in the first place…you’re sadly mistaken.

I grew-up in the hacking/cracking scene from a very young age and I’m afraid my GPL view of even commercial software is ingrained. I probably have a very different view from yours of software’s worth and of a person’s “moral obligation" to buy useless software. This mentality has served me well because 90% of all the software I “try” proves to be totally worthless and never lives up to its advertised promises and simply gets deleted. The other 10% has permanent space on my harddrive and are all fully paid for. I assure you, I don’t have any sort of cash-flow problem so good software gets paid for.

After a couple of days usage, WHDLoad proved not only useful but actually a _revolution_ in loading old Amiga games. To not pay for it would have cost me countless nights sleep and a lot of guilt! That is why I paid for it, not “because wepl sussed me” as you incorrectly put it. To tell you the truth, I could not care either way what Wepl thought about me having the keys, the only thing I know is that he deserved my registration payment. Hopefully that will encourage him to continue developing this great program.

Last edited by dilinger; 30 April 2006 at 15:30.
Old 30 April 2006, 15:57   #15
BippyM
Global Moderator

your argument for using the keyfile is:

Quote:
Once I have everything working I plan to certainly buy the key.file to help supprt work on this
But your issue was caused because you used a pirated keyfile.. WHDload can be used completely (with the exception af a handful of games) without the keyfile!

I agree totally that 90% of software for all systems is shite not worth the money charged, but when there are demo/shareware version released for use there is no excuse in using a pirated version etc..

Anyway you have regged so end of..
Old 30 April 2006, 16:14   #16
dilinger
Zone Friend

A good friend on IRC had been encouraging me for a long time to try it out. The night I decided to give it ago our conversation went something like this:-

mate: have you tried the TOSEC intalls I sent and WHDLoad yet?
me: No not yet...
Mate: just give it a go!!
me: ok...so there's a limited demo on the site? what kind of limit..
mate: errr, about a 10-15 second delay between loads.
me: pha...theres GIGS on that DVD and i want to rip through as many as possible before bed....DCC us your keyfile?
mate: k....but reg if you keep it. its a good prog
me: ofcourse

that was how it went. no conspiracy to steal from anyone. just to overcome the 10-15 delay which wouldnt have prevented me from not paying if I chose not to anyway.

but like you say...it's a dead issue now. no harm done