English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 06 April 2013, 20:24   #1
nineoc

Amiga Explorer connection problem PART TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
I got the manual from there: http://www.zyxel.com/support/downloa..._b101_12.shtml

Chapter 2.1.1 on page 33 tells you how to access the web configurator. The IP address has been changed in your environment, though. You have to enter http://192.168.1.254 in a web browser. User id and password should have been given to you by the technician who configured the router.

Chapter 8 "Home Networking" describes the router configuration in detail. Please make hardcopies of the LAN setup screen (page 130), the static DHCP screen (page 132), the routing screen (page 148) and the access control screen (page 220).

Quote:
AE Properties the same on both PC's
And what are these properties?
---Properties are connection settings and connection type.

Under settings, both PC's have the same IP Address setting, and under Connection type, both are TCP/IP.

---As for your router instructions, they are very helpful, BUT:

When typing ifconfig in a shell in the Amiga, I get the ethernet MAC address for the Amiga, BUT:

the wildfire 060 address configuration is not all numbers, but alphanumeric in content

It is: 0:60:30:ff:ff:a6, and the system rejects it when typing it into the Router Static MAC Address field.

Seems it wants numbers instead of letters.

???

---Update: Can some one assist with this last query, as well as provide instructions as to how to access and change the Amiga's IP Address via the built-in Ethernet on the Wildfire 060 card?

Last edited by prowler; 06 April 2013 at 20:58. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 06 April 2013, 21:03   #2
thomas

I am quite sure that I only asked for screen shots and not to change something.

A MAC address is a 48 bit value. Writing it as six two-digit hexadecimal numbers seperated by colons is the usual notation. Try 00 as first value. Or try upper case letters.

However, I am quite sure that you do not need this static DHCP entry because AmiTCP cannot use DHCP anyway. What you should do instead is to reduce the range of addresses which are used for DHCP below the one used by the Amiga. For example you could use 1 through 120 for DHCP. I guess you will never have 120 PCs at your home at the same time.

And you still did *not* give the IP address which is configured in Amiga Explorer. You only wrote that it's the same on both PCs.
Old 07 April 2013, 00:24   #3
nineoc

Quote:
I am quite sure that I only asked for screen shots and not to change something.

A MAC address is a 48 bit value. Writing it as six two-digit hexadecimal numbers seperated by colons is the usual notation. Try 00 as first value. Or try upper case letters.

However, I am quite sure that you do not need this static DHCP entry because AmiTCP cannot use DHCP anyway. What you should do instead is to reduce the range of addresses which are used for DHCP below the one used by the Amiga. For example you could use 1 through 120 for DHCP. I guess you will never have 120 PCs at your home at the same time.

And you still did *not* give the IP address which is configured in Amiga Explorer. You only wrote that it's the same on both PCs.

---Hello again Thomas:

-Must have misunderstood, my apologies. Will attempt to get screenshots.

-As for changing the IP Address, it is intended as an experiment, as the Amiga's IP Address, which is the address set in the AE Properties of both PC's as 192.168.1.125.

-The Dynamic IP Address range of the router is from the low side around 192.168.1.64 to the high side of 192.168.1.253. An associate suggested
to set the Amiga's Static Address outside that range to see if it makes a difference, hence my query as to how to access the setting.

-Will experiment with your suggestion to reduce the range of the router and see what happens.
Old 07 April 2013, 00:51   #4
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineoc View Post
-As for changing the IP Address, it is intended as an experiment, as the Amiga's IP Address, which is the address set in the AE Properties of both PC's as 192.168.1.125.
Yep, this is what I wanted to know. And it's correct. Note that if you change the IP address of the Amiga, you have to change it in all these places, too.

Quote:
-The Dynamic IP Address range of the router is from the low side around 192.168.1.64 to the high side of 192.168.1.253.
In the other thread you said that the range goes from 1 to 253 which leaves nothing for the Amiga. It does not matter if you reduce the upper bound or increase the lower bound. I just thought that it's easier to change the upper boundary because then you don't need to change the Amiga's address.

Quote:
An associate suggested
to set the Amiga's Static Address outside that range to see if it makes a difference,
That's exactly my goal. But as (according to your other thread) there is no address left outside the range, you first have to change the range.

Quote:
hence my query as to how to access the setting.
I don't know if AmiTCP has a configuration GUI. Anyhow, you can change the IP address with a text editor in the provider.conf file in the db directory. But you have to restart AmiTCP (or the Amiga) after the change. Be sure to keep backup copies of the files before you change them.
Old 07 April 2013, 03:01   #5
nineoc

Quote:
Yep, this is what I wanted to know. And it's correct. Note that if you change the IP address of the Amiga, you have to change it in all these places, too.

Right, thanks.

In the other thread you said that the range goes from 1 to 253 which leaves nothing for the Amiga. It does not matter if you reduce the upper bound or increase the lower bound. I just thought that it's easier to change the upper boundary because then you don't need to change the Amiga's address.

Ah, right again, thank you. Having an extended Senior moment here.

That's exactly my goal. But as (according to your other thread) there is no address left outside the range, you first have to change the range.

Okay, will investigate this process.

I don't know if AmiTCP has a configuration GUI. Anyhow, you can change the IP address with a text editor in the provider.conf file in the db directory. But you have to restart AmiTCP (or the Amiga) after the change. Be sure to keep backup copies of the files before you change them.
A little outside my range here, so will see what the other investigations turn up.

Am wondering how the tech would have set up the IP Address when he installed the Wildfire.

Thanks again for your patience and assistance.
Old 07 April 2013, 21:43   #6
nineoc

Quote:

The latest:

Changed the upper IP Address range on the router to 192.168.1.120, as per your suggestion, and the situation deteriorated. Could not access the
Amiga from either of the PC's. Had to reset the router to the original settings to restore access to the Amiga.

Think I will have to leave this situation alone until I can get a tech over here to have a look, unless you have any further suggestions.

Thanks again for your help.