English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 13 June 2008, 19:18   #1
Paradroid90
Open Source Guru

Commodore 64 Wav Files to be Converted back to Audio Tape File

Non Amiga Related Question

Do any of you guys know how to convert T64 Files back to Audio Cassettes so can be played on a real 64

Got as far as converting to WAV File then im stuck

Have got a cassette deck connected to my PC via ab external Sound Blaster USB Sound Card

Any thoughts!
Old 13 June 2008, 23:22   #2
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

This is probably too obvious, but have you tried connecting the line-out of your soundcard to the tape recorder and recording your WAV file playing on the PC?

(Don't shoot me down in flames if this doesn't work - I'm just trying to help )
Old 13 June 2008, 23:53   #3
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradroid90 View Post
Non Amiga Related Question

Do any of you guys know how to convert T64 Files back to Audio Cassettes so can be played on a real 64

Got as far as converting to WAV File then im stuck

Have got a cassette deck connected to my PC via ab external Sound Blaster USB Sound Card

Any thoughts!
there's a program called tapwav 2 ...it works great
it will transform any tap file to wav
then you can play that wav files using winamp 2.x or another audio player...and save it to any audio cassette recorder ...using any cable from the AUDIO OUTPUT of your sound card to MIC or AUX of your cassette recorder

I recommend winamp 2.x to play the wav files

please note that you need a descent audio recorder..and you need to play a bit with winamp' equalizer before you get a working sound for the commodore 64 dattassette

check the zone for the program

Last edited by laser; 14 June 2008 at 00:01.
Old 13 June 2008, 23:58   #4
cane

I use MP3 player to load games (stored in WAV format) in my ZX Spectrum, and it works flawlessly. Don't know if it'll do the trick for C64 also.
Old 14 June 2008, 00:08   #5
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

http://wav-prg.sourceforge.net/
Old 14 June 2008, 00:35   #6
Paradroid90
Open Source Guru

Thanks for all your support guys. Managed to get wav's onto tape but wont load!!

Think its a bit of trial and error to get the sound which the 64 can live with

Once again thanks again!
Old 14 June 2008, 02:57   #7
laser
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for all your support guys. Managed to get wav's onto tape but wont load!!

Think its a bit of trial and error to get the sound which the 64 can live with

Once again thanks again!
remember that the sound for the dattasette must be loud
continue trying and set trebles to max on winamp'equalizer
Old 14 June 2008, 14:00   #8
Paradroid90
Open Source Guru

Thanks for your tips lazer!

Still get this to work arrrggghhh lol

Tried to set treble to full in Winamp which i remember is 1hz going to the right, and setting the treble high on my amp.

Currently using the tape deck to make up back up of originals i have bought on e-bay - Originals work fine copies dont load....Any more tips out there??????
Old 15 June 2008, 11:14   #9
Rixa

Quote:
Currently using the tape deck to make up back up of originals i have bought on e-bay - Originals work fine copies dont load....Any more tips out there??????
For this sort of thing I've had great success using the "C64S adapter" hardware. It's an adapter intended for use with an old c64 emulator, and you can connect a tapessette to the parallel port through it. Using the "mtap" software for DOS you can read .tap files from your tapes and re-record them with "ptap". Meanwhile you can run the .tap files in an emulator.

I find it usually takes a few tries to get a good .tap and one side of a tape is more cooperative than the other. I've used FinalTAP to investigate the integrity of a .tap for known formats. It can also optimize known loader formats, resulting in copies that may work better than the original when written back to tape.

Unfortunately you'll need a PC with a parallel port and DOS, and I can't find a link to the hardware anymore.. but if you have an XE1541 cable you can instead connect a real c64 to your parallel port operate the tape deck through it, running software included with mtap in the c64.

By the way.. a .t64 is merely a container format for executables for emulator use. Unlike .tap it's not an image of a real tape and can't hold, for example, custom loaders or such. What you want for backups is .tap.
Old 16 June 2008, 14:13   #10
ganj4man

I find wav-prg & audiotap work great, I burn the .wav files to CD/RW and then record the CD to a blank tape. Some soundcards invert the waveform also so bear that in mind.
Another thing I had to do to get games to load was adjust the heads of the datasette to match the tape recorder I used.

Old 17 June 2008, 03:47   #11
gizmomelb

ahh you need one of these - it allows you to record tape games to compact flash as well as record games back to original tape.

http://www.luigidifraia.com/c64/dc2n/index.html