English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 05 November 2017, 10:49   #41
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
All I ask is people make the moderators' lives a bit easier and don't irk other players by keeping within the spirit and not bending the rules as far as they can without actually breaking them, and then trying to tell other people what those limits are and that they shouldn't go beyond them. It's all a bit daft really and doesn't achieve anything.
I agree. Let's put a joyful experience for all participants first and if someone spots a way to bend the rules that'll cause to lessen the fun for most if not all then let's agree to not play that way. Sorry for trying out this technique in the first place - Amegas would've been a lot more fun if we hadn't played like that.
Old 05 November 2017, 10:51   #42
Graham Humphrey

The turnout has been quite a pleasant surprise. However I am still glad we can put this one to bed. Sometimes it takes a bit of time for problems to become apparent because we've always had people who can really push games to their limits, so I guess imperfections will always come up now and again.

Anyway... this round's now over and there was quite a dramatic final twist over on the Lemon side. Let's go through the podium in tension-builidng reverse order...

Taking the bronze medal was ED-209. Leading for a little while with a healthy score of over 73,000, in the end it was a relatively distant third-placed finish.

The silver medal position went to... john4p, amazingly enough, despite being comfortably ahead with less than two hours left. Someone found the time to finish ahead of him and that was...

...Rinusch, whose score of over 98,000 came in at 10:20pm on the final day and ensured his first-ever gold medal in the competition.

In the standings, John has gone over the 300-point mark which is the highest ever points total anyone's managed in a season. liviux76 and LinesMachine have guaranteed second and third place respectively with healthy points tallies. ED-209 has gone a very long way to securing fourth position, while Joni, lifeschool and Harry are realistically battling for fifth spot, despite it being mathematically possible to catch ED.

Another team victory for EAB now means the score stands at 11-6 for the season. Can Lemon at least manage to have the final say?
Old 06 November 2017, 08:42   #43
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
I agree. Let's put a joyful experience for all participants first and if someone spots a way to bend the rules that'll cause to lessen the fun for most if not all then let's agree to not play that way. Sorry for trying out this technique in the first place - Amegas would've been a lot more fun if we hadn't played like that.
(Missed this post - the joys of posting at the same time eh?)

Not to worry. As usual, problems don't become apparent until later on - and as we have seen many times in the past, the only reason we reveal some of the issues are precisely because there have always been players who push it to the limits, so there's not a lot anyone can really do. It's probably just as well it happens as although it doesn't necessarily feel that way at the time, that knowledge helps in the future.

Anyway, I was aware I was perhaps slightly blunt back there. That was purely out of frustration having seen some of the other concerns being raised at that point, and something I should have thought about a bit more before posting. So apologies to anyone who thought I was being a bit unreasonable!
Old 06 November 2017, 11:01   #44
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Missed this post - the joys of posting at the same time eh?
Was a surprise when I saw your post, hadn't noticed Rinusch's late victory yet.

Quote:
Not to worry. As usual, problems don't become apparent until later on - and as we have seen many times in the past, the only reason we reveal some of the issues are precisely because there have always been players who push it to the limits, so there's not a lot anyone can really do. It's probably just as well it happens as although it doesn't necessarily feel that way at the time, that knowledge helps in the future.
Definitely. Impossible to forsee any possible issue beforehand. But with every season we're getting better due to this knowledge acquired in past rounds.

Quote:
Anyway, I was aware I was perhaps slightly blunt back there. That was purely out of frustration having seen some of the other concerns being raised at that point, and something I should have thought about a bit more before posting. So apologies to anyone who thought I was being a bit unreasonable!
No problem at all, the frustration was pretty apparent and it was early in the morning. Just shows how much this competition means to you.