English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 18 March 2004, 13:02   #41
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Shadow of the Beast? SHADOW OF THE FREAKIN BEAST? Treasure Island Dizzy? Wizball? Pirates!? Rolling Thunder?

That is all.
Old 18 March 2004, 13:13   #42
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Enough! I've learnt my lesson. I won't post the other AP Top 100s here.
Old 18 March 2004, 14:50   #43
RCK
Administrator

lol

Everybody had his own Favorite Game Listing, at least you (the detractors) could thanks cody for helping peeps to discover some others Amiga gems
Old 18 March 2004, 23:43   #44
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

How could you post this top 100? Everybody knows the EAB members have different favourites (and that they are right) and that everybody who mentions alternate views will be shot (even if you were only the messenger).
Old 20 March 2004, 09:13   #45
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
Enough! I've learnt my lesson. I won't post the other AP Top 100s here.
Nah, you should still post them. It's just fun to argue when you discover your fav games aren't there and get to see who agrees with you.
Old 20 March 2004, 17:27   #46
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs down

Bad form Cody, I expected a lot better than insults from you, & I might add, I did actually state in the 1st place that people should refrain from roasting the messenger,namely yourself-if you misinterpreted that, then I can only apologise.

I was simply inquiring about whom were the AP writers at the time were? Were they veterens of the Amiga, or indeed 8bit/16bit gaming scene? (To try & get an idea of how they may've arrived at their listings), but given the emotive defence you launched before, I won't press the issue.

Last time I checked this is a forum, so are we only allowed to post replies if we all agree then? l

Although the term "classic" is probably bandied around far too loosely, I would've thought sales, fairly universal critical acclaim, AND public opinion go rather hand in hand to define the "classics"-namely the stuff you'll remember playing 10-15yrs ago/& or still enjoy having a bash of.

I just questioned the AP staffer's logic when average forgettable crap like Kid Gloves makes a top 100, when classics like turrican 1 or 2, Lemmings 1 get ommitted,thats all.

We obviously must agree to disagree on this one. No insults intended.
Old 21 March 2004, 02:49   #47
SabreGolly

Thank you for this list. The point is, I like lists like this. I can look through and see games I've never played, go find them and try them out.

With so much crap out there it is nice to have a few little pointers.
Old 21 March 2004, 08:48   #48
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I really don't see why there is so much bitching about this thread! It clearly states in the title what the list is of, so just because you don't agree with it doesn't give you the right to completely attack Cody and his typing ability. He didn't write the list (well he typed it, but it wasn't his ideal list) so give the guy (I presume he's still a guy) a freaking break.

If you don't agree then create your own lovely list and post it! I'd be sure to take a look.
Old 21 March 2004, 11:48   #49
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
There is a much more accurate list of the best 50 amiga games made by what the amiga people think, though they need to update it! The Alltime Amiga Games Top 50 As you can see the classic Pirates is ranked 22 and since it is not even on The Amiga Power Top 100 list... HUGE mistake from them :hoo
Old 21 March 2004, 13:14   #50
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
I really don't see why there is so much bitching about this thread! It clearly states in the title what the list is of, so just because you don't agree with it doesn't give you the right to completely attack Cody and his typing ability. He didn't write the list (well he typed it, but it wasn't his ideal list) so give the guy (I presume he's still a guy) a freaking break.

If you don't agree then create your own lovely list and post it! I'd be sure to take a look.
Hear hear! Leave Cody and AP alone!
Old 21 March 2004, 16:59   #51
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBoss
There is a much more accurate list of the best 50 amiga games made by what the amiga people think, though they need to update it! The Alltime Amiga Games Top 50 As you can see the classic Pirates is ranked 22 and since it is not even on The Amiga Power Top 100 list... HUGE mistake from them :hoo
For me, there's no such thing as an accurate "top 50" list, unless I make it myself. This Best 50 Amiga Games list isn't even close to what mine would probably look like. But I don't mind reading it, it's fun to see what the rest of the world thinks.

And while I can agree with Sensible World of Soccer being on the top, the credibility is lost when Pirates! is ranked 22 and The Settlers is ranked number 2! But I don't care, 'cause it's not my list.
Old 22 March 2004, 18:33   #52
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7
Bad form Cody, I expected a lot better than insults from you, & I might add, I did actually state in the 1st place that people should refrain from roasting the messenger,namely yourself-if you misinterpreted that, then I can only apologise.

Okay, sorry, I shouldn't have posted that "It was a magazine called 'Amiga Power'." comment!

Quote:
I was simply inquiring about whom were the AP writers at the time were? Were they veterens of the Amiga, or indeed 8bit/16bit gaming scene? (To try & get an idea of how they may've arrived at their listings), but given the emotive defence you launched before, I won't press the issue.

It was whoever was on the Amiga Power team for that issue - I can't remember who it was. They basically picked their favourite games.

Quote:
Last time I checked this is a forum, so are we only allowed to post replies if we all agree then? l

Hardly! I don't 'agree' with the list, but then the only list I'd agree with would be my own Top 100. I'd put the Turrican games in my Top 100, as well as Pirates.

All I wanted was some constructive replies about the list and possibly some actual debate!

Quote:
Although the term "classic" is probably bandied around far too loosely, I would've thought sales, fairly universal critical acclaim, AND public opinion go rather hand in hand to define the "classics"-namely the stuff you'll remember playing 10-15yrs ago/& or still enjoy having a bash of.

But this isn't a list of 'classics' and as I mentioned before how can you actually define a 'classic'?

Quote:
I just questioned the AP staffer's logic when average forgettable crap like Kid Gloves makes a top 100, when classics like turrican 1 or 2, Lemmings 1 get ommitted,thats all.

It's not logic or any sort of scientific process. It's just the favourite games of a group of people. Lemmings was replaced by Lemmings 2.
Old 22 March 2004, 18:37   #53
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
Quote:
Originally posted by StarEye
For me, there's no such thing as an accurate "top 50" list, unless I make it myself. This Best 50 Amiga Games list isn't even close to what mine would probably look like. But I don't mind reading it, it's fun to see what the rest of the world thinks.

And while I can agree with Sensible World of Soccer being on the top, the credibility is lost when Pirates! is ranked 22 and The Settlers is ranked number 2! But I don't care, 'cause it's not my list.
Yeah I agree because The Settlers is ranked nr 1 in my list
Old 22 March 2004, 21:39   #54
Titler
Zone Friend

Nostalgia... And Fuming;

Quote:

It was whoever was on the Amiga Power team for that issue - I can't remember who it was. They basically picked their favourite games.
Ok, a few little additions here for you all; The Ultimate Amiga Power All Time Top 100 appears in AP64. The staff credits inside are as follows;

Host: Steve Faragher
Hostess: Sue Huntly
Guests: C-Monster, Cam Winstanley, Andy Smith, Gideon Kibblewhite, Jonathon Nash, Jonathon Davies, Martin Axford, Reader Millington, Stuart Campbell, Clare Cox

Most of those were regular reviewers at that time, except for GK, RM and CC as far as I can recall, and are the mostly likely culprits. Gideon does appear in the "Just Who Do We Think We Are?" section, but whether he was part of the decision making process for the Top 100, it's impossible to tell, as no list of who made the decisions is included. Jonathon Davies, Stuart Campbell and Steve Faragher's pictures are included within the Top 100 itself, and so are definatly one of the ones who did.

And a little personal history.

On the contents page, there reads the following;

"Page 44. Reader Ads.
Somebody actually wrote in the other day and said that we ought to print more reader ads to add some pages to the magazine. What does he think we do? Turn down a thousand every month because they're not good enough? Pillock".

I've often wondered if that was MY email they were refering to. You see, I wrote something similar to them like that at around that time. As a throwaway line after many paragraphs of other, more serious suggestions. I'd always admired Amiga Power's attitude up until that point; but if they were referring to me, that was a blatantly dishonest representation of what I'd written. It might have just been paranoia, I admit... but at the time, I can remember thinking 'Of course, I know all about downsizing and cost cutting... Amiga Power itself even made jokes about what was occuring to their magazine in the magazine itself. But I'd written suggesting ways they could fight against that, and how do AP really fight back against the company that's shafting them? By taking a cheap shot at someone else who'd simply expressed the same concerns as AP did for it's future.' Being a fan of honesty, but not a fan of tactless self absorbtion being described as honesty, before then I'd have probably quite happily have gone down the pub with the AP team... after that edition though, I've never been able to shake the feeling that I'd have ended up glassing the b@stards by the end of the evening. Fortunately, there was AP64. And then there was only one more of it.

But back to the topic at hand... I've done a scan of all the previous AP Top 100's (because I'm not going to type them all out) for you comparimental appreciationage. Which I've uploaded to The Zone, as it's too large to attach to this reply.

They also interviewed various famous, talented and rich Amiga Programmers, and one former AP editor for their inspirations, the results being on page 29, which I have typed up for you, as follows;

Quote:

Matt Bielby
The first editor of AMIGA POWER, the man who started it all off has, he confesses, hardly played an Amiga game since 1993. But that doesn'r stop him having the following Top Ten:

1.) Sensible Soccer (Renegade): Not being terribly good at games (I know, but it's true) I like the sort of game that relies on luck and human interaction as well as skill. Sensible Soccer is just the best.

2.) Dynablaster/Bomber Man (Ubi Soft): And again, for similar reasons, the multi-player option of Dynablaster is what makes it so great.

3.) The Secret Of Monkey Island (Lucasfilm Games): Just oozes proffesionalism and class

4.) Rainbow Islands (Ocean): Impossibly enjoyable to play

5.) Kick Off (Anco): A bit hard to get the hang of, but another undeniably wonderful multi-player game.

6.) Lemmings (Psygnosis): A brilliant and brand new concept in gaming. And that's something you don't see too much of.

7.) Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker (Virgin Games): Technically dazzling and great fun to play too.

8.) Formula One Grand Prix (Microprose): Sir Geoffrey Crammond's finest hour. Fast, innovative and very, very clever.

9.) Populous 2 (Electronic Arts): Another startlingly original concept. It's Populous with bells on.

10.) Knights Of The Sky (Microprose): Dogfighting wizardry, multi-player and technically superior - my kind of game.

Sensible Software
Jon Hare & Chris Yates. There's surely no need to introduce two of Sensible's luminaries to you. Let's just find out what they like, eh?

1.) Stunt Car Racer (Geoff Crammond) - A game so good we had to snap the disk in half to carry on working. ("Chicken plucking" - Ed) magic

2.) SWOS (Sensible): Still Jon's most frequently played computer game. Sadly.

3.) Pinball Wizard (Anco) - Great pinball action, killer trippy music.

4.) Kick Off 2 (Anco) - The inspiration behind Sensi Soccer . So good it got thrown on the railway track.

5.) Rainbow Islands (Ocean) - So frustrating than when Chris died he wanted to smash Andrew Braybrook's glasses through his face.

6.) Speedball 2 (Bitmap Brothers) - Jon's favourite Bitmap's game, an excellent pseudosport.

7.) Lemmings (Psygnosis) - Finally somebody made an original game that's good as well.

8.) Leisure Suit Larry 2, Passionate Patty - Fantastic adventure (but a bit chuggy)

9.) Blood Money (DMA) - Fabulously original shoot-'em-up.

10.) Rock'n'Roll (Atlantic) - Great headbanging chart topper by Led Zeppelin (I detect irony - Ed).

Alex Trowers
Alex has been working at Bullfrog for longer than he cares to remember. The first game he was involved with was Powermonger and he has designed the levels for every Bullfrog game since (up to Magic Carpet ). So he's the bloke responsible for those murderous Syndicate levels. Which he tells he enjoyed working on most of all. Bastard.

1.) Dynablaster (Hudsonsoft) - The ultimate multi-player thrash. Many is the time that whole days would be spent luzzing bombs at each other.

2.) Stunt Car Racer (Geoff Crammond) - Superb racing game. Still holds it's own against the Wipeouts of today. My only regret is that Peter Molyneux is that much better than me.

3.) Populous 2 (Er... Us) - No, really. I still claim to be the Office Champion though some would disagree. Another versus game that is hard to beat simply because of all the different tactics there is to try.

4.) Archon (Freefall/EA) - A strategy game to rank alongside Chess for it's simplicity and addictiveness. Unicorns were a tad too powerful though...

5.) IK + (Archer Maclean) - You can keep your Street Fighters, Mortal Kombats et all. For me, the ultimate beat-'em-up on the Amiga is International Karate Plus . Three fighter action! Unbeatable.

6.) Sensible Soccer (Sensible) - For a long while I was a Kick Off 2 supporter but I was forced to switch camps during the inevitable office Sensi league. Top footy game.

7.) Shadow Of The Beast (Psygnosis) - For a long while this was THE game to show off to your mates. The music still holds it's own today, although the gameplay was a little limited.

8.) Dungeon Master (FTL) - I couldn't wait for this game to make the jump from the lowly ST so I could shut my mate up. Revolutionary for it's time, this is the game that made me ditch my trusty Speccy and upgrade.

9.) Lemmings (Psygnosis) - Irritating playability in spades. Those little dudes just wouldn't stop.

10.) Rainbow Islands (Ocean) - I know a lot of people dished out a lot of stick when this made it to the top of a certain Top 100 list but it is a great game absolutely packed with features.
Old 26 March 2004, 17:41   #55
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Cool

Sorry for the delayed response Cody, glad we're not bickering anymore.

If I had to have a gripe,(apart from the aformentioned Turrican), then the inclusion of Lemmings II, to the omission of Lemmings would definitely rate up there-whilst it can be argued that most good sequels invariably are technically better-taking Lemmings 1/2 as examples, it just tended to add more character to the original-gameplay wise it wasn't a huge advance on Lemmings 1,(& why would it with Lemmings 1 being such a good game?).

I'm NOT saying Lemmings 2 wasn't good, but not better than 1 for sheer originality-not like say Speedball 2 was a totally improved revamp of Speedball that improved the original's concept.
Old 31 March 2004, 12:39   #56
S. Campbell

Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7

What does "logic" have to do with anything in this context?
Old 31 March 2004, 20:51   #57
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Hey Stoo, would ya like a Sensible related avatar? Would be happy to oblige ye
Old 31 March 2004, 20:59   #58
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

How about

?

Last edited by Enverex; 31 March 2004 at 21:24.
Old 01 April 2004, 00:19   #59
S. Campbell

There's a little bit of Sensible "memorabilia" over on my website at http://www.worldofstuart.co.uk today, and some more to come shortly (I found some stuff in an old HFV file while messing around with a Mac emu), if anyone's interested.
Old 05 April 2004, 18:43   #60
Burge
Get ready, Agent

And how on Earth could you forget FLOOD?1!1!1one!1

Sorry.