English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 March 2009, 15:09   #1
girv
Mostly Harmless

Thumbs up Playpower - 8 bit learning games for the developing world

Thought this might be interesting:

http://playpower.org/

"We support affordable, effective, fun learning games. We're starting with an existing $10 TV-computer as a platform for learning games in the developing world."

I've written some more about it here:

Playpower - 8 bit games for the developing world

"The Playpower Foundation is using “the world’s most inexpensive home computer” as a platform for learning games in order to improve educational access for millions of children around the world. Motivated by the availability of this radically affordable platform, their goal is to design and discover high-quality 8-bit learning games and make computer-aided learning affordable for people everywhere."
Old 23 March 2009, 16:59   #2
discomeats
Just add brown sauce.

these things have been available via websites like www.alibaba.com for quite some time now

I've thought about trying to get hold of them (among other items) myself, but the "technical specification" for such things usually consists of shipping size and payment terms and generally not so low MOQ and I'm a bit skint
Old 23 March 2009, 20:21   #3
Amiga1992

Dont buy these things from any american or euro distributor. They markup the [price too much.

I can go to the streets here in Argentina and purchase one of these for 10 dollars.

The Powerplay people are cool in trying to motivate development for this platform but the whole idea is still a bit fresh to be excited about it, since you need some annoying method to transfer your software to a real cart.
Old 23 March 2009, 20:38   #4
AmigaFriend

It's interesting that they start with $10 computer, then turns to $12, then $20.

Isn't anything familiar in this photo?

http://playpower.org/blog/wp-content...the-tvcomp.jpg
Old 24 March 2009, 10:46   #5
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
The Powerplay people are cool in trying to motivate development for this platform but the whole idea is still a bit fresh to be excited about it, since you need some annoying method to transfer your software to a real cart.
Yes it's early days for them alright, I just figured I'd help a bit with the publicity
Old 24 March 2009, 22:00   #6
Amiga1992

Publicize the Powerplay initiative but not the distributors selling these machines for 50, is what I say.

Hopefully we will not so far away have a hackable computer a-la-C64DTV but based on the Nintendo Famicom. That would be awesome.