English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 27 March 2008, 23:23   #1
denoiser

Gamebase Amiga 1.5 , CLR MAME PRO

Hi , I have some questions about the Gamebase Amiga 1.5, maybe Belgarath could answer them

1.After Installing and rebuilding my Tosec Collection with CLR Mame Pro and the included Dat File I can´t find all Games. Some of them skipped by CLR Mame but they are definitly in my roms folder. In some games for example B.A.T. or B.A.T.II some disks are missing not all. Do I have maybe some corrupted or bad Adf. ´s ? When I download the games update packs from this site within B.A.T. II , CLR MAME will rebuild it correct. I know it not necessary, they are already named for using in Gamebase.

2. I miss some games from earlier gamebase Amiga Versions, for example
" 20.000 League under the Sea " . Does it mean, that this and other missing games are not supported anymore . I have them in my Tosec Collection. Do i have to set up these games manually ?

Best Regards, Denoiser

Old 28 March 2008, 12:43   #2
NLS
Ancient User

Not all games in GB are from TOSEC.

(I disagree with that but cannot do anything about it)
Old 28 March 2008, 13:00   #3
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Yes the reason you are missing games is because not all games are in tosec, I still don't understand why NLS disagrees with it, because what would you rather have, a version that's in tosec but doesn't work, or a version that isn't in tosec but does work?

It sounds like you've already downloaded the rare games pack, and that's the very reason they were added to the site, because we knew most people wouldn't have them so we made them readily available to download for people.

Now it doesn't always necessarily mean the ones in tosec are bad, but it does mean the gamebase adfs are more likely to work then the ones found in tosec (the only time I add adfs that aren't in tosec is because they either aren't in tosec at all or I suspect/know the tosec adfs don't work properly.

Regarding your second question; I take careful time when adding games which means theres still a lot of games that are listed, but don't have adfs to go with them, 20000 leagues is one of those games, and the reason being in the case of 20000 leagues is because there isn't one single proper english adf of it to be found anywhere.

Load gamebase and go to tools > verify files

that will tell you what if anything you are missing.
Old 28 March 2008, 14:26   #4
NLS
Ancient User

Since you ask:

Since TOSEC has grown as big as it has and good or bad it is possibly the most established naming "protocol", why don't we use it.

Now in our case I don't of course mean to use a game's TOSEC version that doesn't work, but to ADD the working version to TOSEC (proper naming etc.) and use it as such (as part of TOSEC) along with all the rest that are in fact working (from in TOSEC).

So you update GB as always, but also "on the side" update TOSEC and help it become what it has already getting started being... the single "source" (not in fact source but you know what I mean) of retro software.

Same goes not only for GB of course but for any "collection".
Imagine of tomorrow I decide to make my own collection with the disks *I* own, and name the images "NLS's Apydia [my naming details blah blah]" and by chance this is the exact image that already is in GB or in TOSEC or elsewhere (or even maybe "different" just because my own scores are written on the disk which makes things even worse!)...

...only because you asked.
Old 28 March 2008, 14:57   #5
denoiser

Hello again ,

thanks for the fast replies. I´m very surprised. I thought " Tosec" is a good Collection with working games. But I have to say , that I never tested or play every game like you Belgarath. I prefer a working Adf , not a bad dump from Tosec . I have a very slow Internet Connection, thats the reason why I take my Tosec´s to build a working directory for GB 1.5 . For the missing games of the working 2560 Games, I just took all the updates from this Site and added them. Now i´m missing about 170 Games, but I can add it manually to the game entry in GB 1.5 .

Is it a better way to take all related ADF´s from this Site ? There are many Gamepacks here from V 1.2 beginning and the updates to V 1.5.
I know that it is not necessary to rebuild them with CRL MAME and your DAt , cause they are already named to the Game Entries of your Database, right ?.

For my understanding, when I take the Games from my Tosec Collection, It could be that some ADF don´t work , right ?

Denoiser

Old 28 March 2008, 15:19   #6
NLS
Ancient User

some of the files will probably be "rebuilt" correctly from your TOSEC to GB (NOTE: using the proper DAT)

many more, will not

TOSEC has good and bad dumps and... just different dumps (they are not necessarily bad)

I suggest that you don't mix the two (I have both collections)

now if in the (distant) future (when it won't matter because we'll have 5TB-disks) GBAmiga (and GB64 and others) decide to "work on" and "build on" (that second part is needed for the first part to work) TOSEC, would be great

today: just have both (if you need both)
Old 28 March 2008, 18:14   #7
denoiser

okay, thank you for your replies , That´s all I want to know . So I take a look for the other Game packs of this side and don´t mix both collections.

I remember in earlier Versions of the Amiga Gamebase , I think V 1.2 , the included dat file was able to rebuild all games but it has no use when they don´t work. I don´t want to test every game, I simply trust the excellent work of Belgarath.

Best Regards, Denoiser

Old 29 March 2008, 01:48   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post

TOSEC has good and bad dumps and... just different dumps (they are not necessarily bad)
TOSEC has thousands of unverified dumps, with a lot of crappy cracks. You don't know which games fully work to the end, without a [!] flag for a 100% correct dump. I prefer/trust IPF Images instead of TOSEC, if available.

Belgarath is doing a good job and uses the best versions for Gamebase Amiga, not only TOSEC stuff. Hats off, making this preconfigs is probably a lot of hard work.

For GB64 and others:

GB64 uses their own collection for years, i highly doubt that they change over to TOSEC someday. Same for all console games. Cowerings GoodRom sets are the best and (mostly) verified game packs out there.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 29 March 2008 at 02:28.