English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 20 November 2014, 14:51   #1
WDeranged

Any way to use auto-scale but keep pixel ratio?

It bugs me that I can't get evenly sized pixels unless I enable bi-linear filtering, I don't like the soft look.

Does anyone know how to get full screen auto scale and keep the pixel size even?
Old 20 November 2014, 15:01   #2
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

As long as you dont need super hires there is a way.
In the filter panel disable scaling and aspect corection. Set the H and V selector from FS to 2x and use 1920x1080. Disable Bilinear Filter.

Now go to display settings and use Resolution Hires, Linemode double and Interlace mode double.

If you like I can upload my config....

The smoothnes in the screenie comes from the jpg compression I guess.
But it is pixel prfect scaling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	139.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	42277  
Old 20 November 2014, 17:33   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

There is "Auto integer scaling" but integer autoscale makes no sense. How is it going to work? Keeping the same 1:1 or 2:2 ratio all the time?

What is your use case?
Old 20 November 2014, 19:32   #4
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

I know at least what he means by "soft look"
The >benefits< of modern (LCD)monitors....

BTW: For my setting sugestion forget 1080p.
Use the native res of your screen. Maybe the monitor will stretch 1080 to 1200 and that will couse aditional unnecessary blur.
Old 24 November 2014, 04:15   #5
WDeranged

Thanks for your settings Michael, that does give nice even pixels but I'm hoping to stretch the picture to full screen and keep the even pixels, the shimmer of constantly changing pixel sizes (LCD) when scrolling really bugs me

MAME has an option to over-scale the image by 10x before downscaling with bilinear filtering, this gives an almost perfectly clean scaled look with no uneven pixels.

Last edited by WDeranged; 24 November 2014 at 14:19.
Old 24 November 2014, 07:52   #6
jkg

Michael: This sounds simple and great. I really need to try this I suspected that I'd have to play around endlessly with various filters etc to get this right in WinUAE. This seemed to work out-of-the box in FS-UAE under Linux, but then again my Linux install went up in flames just after I'd gotten 50hz scrolling etc perfect. Have been looking to get this straight in WinUAE since then Many thanks.
Old 24 November 2014, 20:04   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I still don't see good enough explanation what you want. (I always want very good explanation, not some useless "I don't want blurry output" or "some other emulator")

Semi-randomly chosen answer: set size multipliers to good enough value, add some bilinear-filtering like shader filter to "slot 1" (not default 0!, "slot" selection is select box that has values -4 to 4). Do not use bilinear checkbox.

Set 1x (1x-4x, next to "slot" value) to higher if you want internal supersampling.
Old 26 November 2014, 22:51   #8
WDeranged

Thanks for the reply Toni, sorry if I wasn't clear in my questions.

Below is a full size screenshot of how UAE looks on my monitor. I love the clean look but I'd like to have evenly scaled pixels.

Old 27 November 2014, 12:44   #9
Michael Sykes
WinUAE end user

Looks a bit wide do me.
Try to play around with 'Aspect Ratio Correction' in the filter panel.
For me it works perfect wen I disable it. On Automatic I get the same strange wide effect.
Disable it and you get black borders on the left and right side. The 4:3 setting may also work.

Your config attached to your next post would/could also help us to understand your problem.

But first try this.
Attached Files
File Type: uae i_hope_that_works.uae (22.3 KB, 168 views)
Old 28 November 2014, 20:53   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDeranged View Post
Thanks for the reply Toni, sorry if I wasn't clear in my questions.

Below is a full size screenshot of how UAE looks on my monitor. I love the clean look but I'd like to have evenly scaled pixels.
You are not going to get fullscreen image (without borders) with integer pixel mapping using any autoscale mode, Amiga visible display size is variable and usually it is larger than 320/640.

Filter panel "Integer scaling" should work but you probably also need to adjust horiz/vert size sliders left (possibly as far left as possible) to allow integer scaling to select higher scaling factor (and possibly clipping a bit from top and bottom)

(In Integer scaling mode size sliders adjust when to select next highest or lower integer scaling value)
Old 09 September 2015, 23:55   #11
Jez2k

Thanks for that Michael. I set everything as you suggested. My 5:4 LCD's native is 1280 x 1024. I can live without SuperHires, as long as every pixel is equal in shape. For the majority of games, this works great! However, the starfields in Project X above the score & lives information, and below the weapon names, gets chopped off, which can affect gameplay to a small extent as the enemies sometimes appear there first. Disabling vertical centering shifts the picture up 1 or 2 pixels to make the weapons info fully visible, but the starfield (top and bottom) is still offscreen. If you set the H and V selectors to 1.5x, which results in a smaller picture with a black border and uneven pixels, you can easily see how much was previously missing, even at the sides. There may be other games that use overscan, but this is always the first one I think of. I tried adjusting the size with the sliders, but this only caused the pixels to become uneven.

[EDIT]
Just tried Superfrog and found there were 2.5 rows of pixels lost off the top and bottom, and 7 columns of pixels lost left and right. Not a show-stopper, as the game is still perfectly playable and no text is lost.

Last edited by Jez2k; 10 September 2015 at 00:11. Reason: Spotted something I missed!

Old 09 October 2015, 13:16   #12
trackah123
Amiga User

"Integer scaling" (Full-Window) is how i have it, this setting along with Michael's settings work fine on my laptop which has a resolution of 1600x900.
Old 09 October 2015, 20:39   #13
Foebane
Banned

I had the problem up until a few months ago of being unable to play 4:3 aspect ratio PC games and emulators in full-screen on a 16:9 monitor, but then someone told me that there was an option in the 3D card's graphics driver to maintain the aspect ratio always. I've been as happy as a sand boy ever since!