English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 27 October 2014, 18:43   #1
Amiguy

Is it legal to run Amiga OS 4.1 Classic in WinUAE?

I'm planning to buy Amiga OS 4.1 Classic or Amiga OS 4.1 Final Edition but I wonder if it is legal to run them in WinUAE or do I have to buy a classic Amiga?

Thanks in advance/
Amiguy

Last edited by Amiguy; 27 October 2014 at 19:10.

Old 27 October 2014, 19:00   #2
tero

I'm not an expert at this, but i'd say it's legal. 2nd: Os4 final for 30 bucks sounds like 'you want it? come get it!'
Old 27 October 2014, 20:10   #3
Ami_GFX

As long as you bought and paid for it, it should be legal. I can't see any reason Hyperion and Amigakit would complain about increased sales of OS4.1 classic.
Old 28 October 2014, 02:23   #4
DutchinUSA

How does it run now? Worth running it on an i7 in WinUAE?
Old 28 October 2014, 03:54   #5
esc

Yep!

Old 28 October 2014, 08:40   #6
onkelarie

Will it run on a bog standard i5 processor as well? I must admit Im quite curious.
Old 28 October 2014, 10:55   #7
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

EULA tries to imply that it isn't permitted. However EULAs aren't legally (nor morally) enforcable so who cares what it says? Also says some bizarre things like you aren't allowed to change locale settings for some reason, how can software be tested properly under such constraints!?

Last edited by Minuous; 30 October 2014 at 00:24.
Old 28 October 2014, 11:03   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkelarie View Post
Will it run on a bog standard i5 processor as well? I must admit Im quite curious.
It runs pretty well on an i5 but there's no 3D support, right now we're emulating a Picasso IV with only 4mb VRAM so you're not going to enjoy the hardware rendered effects of the Radeon cards for example or massive screen modes.

The best way to run OS4.1 is still on a Sam/AmigaOne with a Radeon GFX Card but WinUAE is a nice way to take a peek at OS4.1 and see if you would like to explore it further.
Old 28 October 2014, 23:03   #9
amadama

30 bucks is reasonable for this (a lot better than 120!).
What store is carrying this? I can't find it on Amigakit or Vesalia...
Old 28 October 2014, 23:32   #10
tero

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadama View Post
30 bucks is reasonable for this (a lot better than 120!).
What store is carrying this? I can't find it on Amigakit or Vesalia...
None yet, but maybe till the end of the year.
http://www.hyperion-entertainment.biz/
Old 29 October 2014, 20:34   #11
Amiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
EULA tries to imply that it isn't permitted. However EULAs aren't legally enforcable so who cares what it says? Also says some bizarre things like you aren't allowed to change locale settings for some reason, how can software be tested properly under such constraints?
Where can I find the EULA for Amiga OS 4.1 Final Edition or Amiga OS 4.1 Classic?
I could'nt find it on http://www.hyperion-entertainment.biz/.

Old 29 October 2014, 20:49   #12
rare_j
Zone Friend

If they actually do this for €30 they can have my money, just to give it a try.
For that asking price it's not even worth pirating.
As long as they don't do something silly with this version like lock it out of emulation.
Old 30 October 2014, 00:15   #13
BarryB
Amigaholic

Now this might tempt me to try OS4.1 at last, the previous high price put me off! Are there any hardware specs for this? Wondering if its worth trying on my A1200 with BPPC @ 330Mhz, 256mb RAM and Voodoo 3? Or can I put in a Radeon side by side with the voodoo in my mediator and swap CF cards between OS3.9 + Voodoo and OS4.1 + Radeon?
Old 30 October 2014, 00:43   #14
tero

hardware specs can be read here:
http://www.amigaos.net/hardware/40/c...quipped-models
Old 30 October 2014, 01:23   #15
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Now this might tempt me to try OS4.1 at last, the previous high price put me off! Are there any hardware specs for this? Wondering if its worth trying on my A1200 with BPPC @ 330Mhz, 256mb RAM and Voodoo 3? Or can I put in a Radeon side by side with the voodoo in my mediator and swap CF cards between OS3.9 + Voodoo and OS4.1 + Radeon?
Works fine with that setup but you can't keep Radeon & Voodoo GPU's and run OS4.1 it will not boot with them both at the same time. Also note that not all cards supported by the mediator are supported by 4.1

It's fine with the Voodoo but better with the Radeon as the extra VRAM really helps plus the hardware transparency effects are nice, these don't work on the Voodoo cards, not even the Voodoo 5!
Old 30 October 2014, 02:32   #16
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Works fine with that setup but you can't keep Radeon & Voodoo GPU's and run OS4.1 it will not boot with them both at the same time. Also note that not all cards supported by the mediator are supported by 4.1

It's fine with the Voodoo but better with the Radeon as the extra VRAM really helps plus the hardware transparency effects are nice, these don't work on the Voodoo cards, not even the Voodoo 5!
Right, so if I get a Radeon (128mb or 256mb?) can I still run the stuff the voodoo runs like Quake, ADoom, warp stuff under OS3.9? Might as well get one now and wait for the release of OS4.1 Final.
Old 30 October 2014, 03:52   #17
esc

Quote:
Right, so if I get a Radeon (128mb or 256mb?) can I still run the stuff the voodoo runs like Quake, ADoom, warp stuff under OS3.9? Might as well get one now and wait for the release of OS4.1 Final.
Steve, correct me if I'm wrong, but if he were to get a BVision and run it in tandem with the radeon, he'd be able to use the BVision for OS3.9 and still get the extra RAM from the radeon, and then in OS4.1 he could use the radeon fully, right?

Old 30 October 2014, 09:33   #18
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

So 4.1 FE is not for the classic PPC boards ?
And we are still missing the scsi driver for the public (there were rumours of a working one)?
Old 30 October 2014, 09:41   #19
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
There is no Warp3D support for Radeon's under 3.9, so you would need to swap the GFX card like I used (yes a pain in the ass)

But I guarantee you wont stick with 4.1 as your main OS and you will use almost exclusively 3.9, the 4.1 experience is much nicer on Sam/A1, etc.

You'll just use occasionally for a quick click around

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
Steve, correct me if I'm wrong, but if he were to get a BVision and run it in tandem with the radeon, he'd be able to use the BVision for OS3.9 and still get the extra RAM from the radeon, and then in OS4.1 he could use the radeon fully, right?
Yes this a work-around, you can in fact use a B/CVision and a PCI GPU, this works with OS4.1 for some reasonand can make a nice dual boot system, I've tested this myself with both A1200 and A4000 however, in the A1200 you have the issue of cooling the BVision which will be behind the PCI Busboard, I ran mine without cooling just for the tests and only for a few minutes!

But still, the Voodoo 3 is the better choice in 3.9, faster 3D and higher resolutions over the BVision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
So 4.1 FE is not for the classic PPC boards ?
And we are still missing the scsi driver for the public (there were rumours of a working one)?
I think FE is for all, but needs clarification from Hyperion.

I never heard of SCSI driver (assume you mean for BPPC) working on OS4.1 Classic.
Old 30 October 2014, 11:06   #20
BarryB
Amigaholic

I'll abandon that idea then Steve, seems a lot of effort for little gain if the hardware isn't powerful enough, heed the words of the wise.

I've started buying stuff to resurrect an A1200 carcass since I put the board from it in a tower, so I'll carry on with that.