English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 16 December 2012, 15:25   #1
jackhulk

Why does controller only work on port 2? How to change input targets?

Hello

Running 2.5 and noticed I can only use controller set to port 2 (Joy2). If I set it to Port 1 (Joy1), the game (IK+ in this case) does not recognize it. Also tried Lotus, but get the same result, controller works on port 2, but not port 1.

Why is that? Is the Amiga native port for a joystick port 2?

I noticed that if I use a second controller, then all is fine APART from player 1 controller is on Port 2 (Joy2) and player 2 controller is on Port 1 (Joy1). It's not a big issue, but ideally I'd like player as Port 1 (Joy1) and player 2 as Port 2 (Joy 2) to save confusion with different button configs etc.

Also I'd like change Input target, but the drop down box is grey out for buttons already assigned. For example...

Button 1 [PORT2] Joy2 Fire/Mouse2 Left Button

I cannot change this input target as drop down box is greyed out.

Lastly, is there a official manual for WinUAE please? I found one on tweakguide, but looking for full manual covering everything. I've checked in download, this forum 'new to emulation' and found F.A.Q's, but no manual.

I have search for answers to all these questions (and more) but these still elude me and you wouldn't believe how long I've been trying to figure these out.

Thank you
Old 16 December 2012, 15:34   #2
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhulk View Post
Why is that? Is the Amiga native port for a joystick port 2?
Yes. Port 1 = mouse (most of the time) or joystick for 2nd player (when needed), while port 2 has a joystick connected for player 1 (or a second mouse for player 2 for the few games that can use two of them such as Lemmings or Settlers)
Old 16 December 2012, 16:37   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Also I'd like change Input target, but the drop down box is grey out for buttons already assigned. For example...

Button 1 [PORT2] Joy2 Fire/Mouse2 Left Button

I cannot change this input target as drop down box is greyed out.
Change 'Game Ports Panel' to 'Configuration #1' in the upper left.

Quote:
Lastly, is there a official manual for WinUAE please? I found one on tweakguide, but looking for full manual covering everything. I've checked in download, this forum 'new to emulation' and found F.A.Q's, but no manual.
Don't know if it's official, but have a look here: http://www.vware.at/?page_id=7
Old 16 December 2012, 17:02   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

[PORT x] = Game Ports panel configuration that overrides Input panel. Disable it in Game Ports panel if you want to change it.

It is possible Remap button in Game Ports panel does everything you need without using possibly confusing Input panel.
Old 16 December 2012, 17:46   #5
jackhulk

Thanks guys, I'm slowly getting my head around this, but it seems WinUAE mixes up the two controllers.

When a second controller is plugged in, I noticed that the controller I was currently using in Port 2, becomes controller for player 2.

Generic USB Joystick [1] = Input target Joy2 [Player 2 in game]
Generic USB Joystick [2] = Input target Joy1 [Player 1 in game]

Why is Joystick [1] considered Joy2 instead of Joy1?

Also, when I unplug my second controller, my first controller reverts back to being listed as simply 'Generic USB Joystick' (notice the number at end is no longer present) and then I have to remap again. Is it not possible to be able to have button config saved and not lost each time a second controller is plugged in/out? WinUEA is effectively seeing the same controller as two separate devices.

I understand I could create two separate configs for this, but wondering if there is a simpler way that WinUEA will see my main joystick as the same device other than 'Generic USB Joystick' when used on it's own and 'Generic USB Joystick [1]' when a second controller is plugged in?

Hey Toni, I'm off to Loimaa on Wednesday for the holidays! Not my first time in Finland but will be my first time for Christmas. This is the very reason I am setting WinUAE up as people I'm staying with loved the Amiga, so looking forward to suprising them with this. I hear you guys celebrate Chirstmas day on Christma Eve, and that you eat fish instead of turkey?! No wonder you are know as 'Crazy Fins'!

Last edited by jackhulk; 16 December 2012 at 17:55.
Old 16 December 2012, 18:58   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Thanks guys, I'm slowly getting my head around this, but it seems WinUAE mixes up the two controllers.
It is possible controllers don't have unique serial numbers: Re-inserted controller will be always considered as a "new" controller.

[1] in name is generated by WinUAE, it can't be used to identify two identical controllers because naming depends on order of enumeration which can and will change if there is no unique information available.

Check and compare winuaebootlog.txt controller identification strings.
Old 16 December 2012, 19:43   #7
jackhulk

Is this what your after....

input.1.name=Configuration #1
input.1.joystick.0.friendlyname=Generic USB Joystick [1]
input.1.joystick.0.name=\\?\HID#VID_0079&PID_0006#6&2cc512f8&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}
input.1.joystick.0.empty=true
input.1.joystick.1.friendlyname=Generic USB Joystick [2]
input.1.joystick.1.name=\\?\HID#VID_0079&PID_0006#6&3e3f996&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}

I noticed this problem isn't present in early builds. Using 1.5.2 on Netbook (because of sound issues using 2.5), when I disconnect second controller, Generic USB Joystick [1] reverts back to Generic USB Joystick, but keeps my button config.
Old 16 December 2012, 21:13   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I managed to duplicate the problem (mappings disappearing from another device when other is removed), some debugging to do..
Old 17 December 2012, 19:26   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip should fix missing input panel custom config after usb controller insert or eject. Please confirm.
Old 17 December 2012, 20:27   #10
jackhulk

Tested and works perfectly, thank you! You are quick!

Can I ask is there a reason why under Input target port 1 & 2 are referred to as Joy1 and Joy2? This literally took me hours to figure out and was the source of much of my confusing as I thought they referring to Joystick [1] & Joystick [2]. As a result my button config was messed up to say the least, and couldn't figure it out.

Seems simple now I understand, but very confusing when Joystick [1] is in Port 2 (so I can use it to control player 1 in game) and forever trying to assign buttons as 'Joy1', which of course I now know assigns button to that of Joystick [2] in Port 1. Couldn't the input target tags be changed to reflect what they relate too to save confusion?

Or maybe it's just me.

Last edited by jackhulk; 17 December 2012 at 20:48.
Old 18 December 2012, 09:18   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Tested and works perfectly, thank you! You are quick!
Great.

Quote:
Seems simple now I understand, but very confusing when Joystick [1] is in Port 2 (so I can use it to control player 1 in game) and forever trying to assign buttons as 'Joy1', which of course I now know assigns button to that of Joystick [2] in Port 1. Couldn't the input target tags be changed to reflect what they relate too to save confusion?
JoyX and PortX are not the same thing and name of device is just a label. Number is appended if there are more than one device with identical name, it has nothing to do with port numbers. (It would be quite confusing to have 2 joysticks with exact same name in device selection menus)

GamePorts panel: Port is more correct because it configures single device (it can be mouse or joystick or gamepad etc..) connected to emulated Amiga joystick/mouse ports.

Input panel: JoyX = joystick input event. Mouse can use same port but it can't use joystick-only input events. Only buttons are "shared". Multiple devices can be connected to same "port".
Old 18 December 2012, 12:07   #12
ajk

@jackhulk

Off-topic, but ham is the traditional main course for a Christmas dinner here, not fish
Old 18 December 2012, 16:37   #13
jackhulk

Thanks for explaining Toni, it does make sense now. I think I was also thrown when my main joystick was labelled [1], and so initially I assigned Joystick [1] to port 1 and Joystick [2] to port 2, but then of course I couldn't control player 1 in the game with my main controller (joystick 1). This of course is due to the Amiga's native player 1 port being port 2, and I've been so used to playing consoles now days where player 1 = port 1, player 2 = port 2, so on and so forth, that it left me baffled.

Still I've learnt a lot over the weekend and so hopefully now I will get back to enjoying gaming again as I've lost my love of it recently. Todays games are no doubt spectacular, fantastically realistic, but most seem to have forgotten a key gaming ingredient.........FUN!

Of course ajk, I forgot about the ham, which I'm looking forward to, but understand fish is also a favourite dish served for Christmas as well if I'm not mistaken? Anyway I'm off tomorrow and will be playing Cannon Fodder on the plane, so have a good one guys!