English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 November 2003, 23:05   #1
Peanutuk

Playstation Sensible Soccer

Hello

I found a copy of Sensible Soccer for the Playstation in Game today. I didn't buy it [obv.] but I was wondering what it's like?

Is it comparable to the Amiga version? Does it look the same - I couldn't really tell from the screenshot?
Old 18 November 2003, 09:33   #2
Peanutuk

<whilstles>
Old 18 November 2003, 11:50   #3
Drake1009

<whistles> http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/games/playst...review/378422/
Old 18 November 2003, 11:53   #4
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
UnSensible Purchase

do you remember the old sensible soccer on the amiga and sega megadrive, they were truly outstanding games. with a view from above and those wee heads with feet bouncing the ball around. sure the graphics were nothing to write home about and the sound average, but the playability of those versions was brilliant. i used to sit for days on end with my mates playing it on the megasdrive and i probably still would. well if you think the playstation version would be better you are about to have your illusions shattered.

sensible soccer for the sony playstation is without a doubt the worst game i have ever played in my life. it was such a major letdown for me after the magic that was the original. it's so bad it's depressing!

the graphics are attrocious, absoulutely abysmal.
the sound gets on your nerves because the commentator seems to have a maximum of three phrases so it gets so repetitavely mindnumbing.
worst of all, the playability, the graphics and sound were never good on sensible soccer games so if the playability was still as good i wouldn't have cared. honestly though this game has no playablity, whenever i got it my friends came around looking forward to a brilliant new version but i don't think we even played two games.

the controls for the game were equally as bad, it was like trying to manouvere eleven tanks around the pitch passing a cube.

why o why? if they just released exactly the same version that performed so well on the sega and the amiga it still would have been worth the money. instead they absolutely murdered it, that's quite sad.

after playing this i would be very very cautious before buying another one of their products, i'm getting a bad taste in my mouth just talking about it. disgusting!

the game was so incredibly bad i took it back the next day and exchanged it for iss which was the best decision i ever made in my life. so if you're reading this looking to buy a decent football game for the Playstation buy ISS, it's the one and only!
Sounds good then
Old 18 November 2003, 11:54   #5
Drake1009

another review, this time of the PC version which should probably fare better than the PSX counterpart.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/153/153959p1.html?fromint=1
Old 18 November 2003, 11:56   #6
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
I could go on about Sensible Soccer '98's faults, but there's really no point. The truth is this: if you want a really good fantasy league soccer title, you really should check the game out. With that said, if you plan at any time to actually pick up and play with the teams you've created, get as far away from this title as you can. There are far better ways to spend your time, and your money.
Sounds much better

I think you should just stick to the Amiga one
Old 18 November 2003, 12:09   #7
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Anybody know if the Sega CD version is the same as the MegaDrive version? I guess there might be CD tracks, but are there any other differences?
Old 18 November 2003, 13:02   #8
Critter

anymore rumours of a sensi remake? it would kick alot of butt if they took the amiga port and made it for todays generation console/pc's

(keepin my hopes up!)
Old 18 November 2003, 16:49   #9
Peanutuk

It wasa only £4 but thank good I didnt buy it. Settled for a four pack of Ginster's pasties instead.

Yum
Old 18 November 2003, 17:34   #10
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally posted by fisken uno
Anybody know if the Sega CD version is the same as the MegaDrive version? I guess there might be CD tracks, but are there any other differences?
It's largely the same apart from some music that Tim Wright did, some intro animations and my bloody good crowd noise on the CD. It might well be the first example of recording a real crowd specifically for a game, I'm not sure. I went to a Tranmere Rovers vs Wolves match one Boxing Day (you'll find a credit to Tranmere Rovers in the game for allowing me onto the pitch). Freezing cold it was. It was actually a lock-out as well (with about 2000 people turned away) and there I was with my photographer's pass trundling out of the players entrance and onto the sidelines. Psygnosis was so stingy that they wouldn't even buy me a microphone and I had to record it through a pair of headphones plugged into the mic socket on my portable DAT. The teams came out, warmed up, kicked off and then there was a goal within about 15 seconds. I hadn't setup my tape yet (I didn't actually notice that they'd kicked off), and missed the crowd roar of the only goal in the match. I did however get the really cool "One Nil!" chant which worked really well in the game. For careful listeners...some of the crowd chants have got swearing in and I had to edit the most obvious ones by reversing the sample at the dubios points, some of them are really obvious though. I tried to leave as much intact as possible, so I'd play the samples to the producer to see if he could notice the swearing, and I think he must have been half deaf!
Old 18 November 2003, 18:12   #11
fisken uno
Zone Friend

FromWithin: Great story, man! I love these 'behind the scenes' stories.
Old 18 November 2003, 23:58   #12
Amiga1992

Seems like this MegaCD version is a MUST, I wanna hear that crowd swearing
Old 19 November 2003, 05:29   #13
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Sensible Soccer 98 is horrid, I cried when I played it on PC. I couldn't believe they had made that pile of shit based on the best soccer game ever.

I remember reading years ago about an unoficial remake that seems interesting.

But for an oficial one... I doubt we will ever see one. I mean, where's Sensible Software now? I know they went under the Codemasters name, but Jon Hare isn't there anymore, and I haven't seen anything from them since the atrocious Sensi 98. I read about a Cannon Fodder sequel in 3D, but this was also eons ago and I have seen no more news about it.

Shame, big shame...

Oh, nice story about the Sega CD version of it. I always thought it would be great if soccer games had more realistic crowd chants. It would also be great if we could see crowds fighting and causing chaos and tumult, and maybe even invading the field and punching players or something
Old 19 November 2003, 09:35   #14
LaundroMat

Well, the only thing a quick Google comes up with is that John Hare helped in the development of a boxing game for the PS2.